Breeding and vaccines.

Breed: Blue nose pitbull
I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual vaccines. At this moment I wanted to breed her because she is in heat. How long do I have to wait to breed her after she has been given her annual vaccines? One day or more? Thank You!

I would highly discourage you from breeding your dog. I'll give you a few reasons why.

First of all, are you prepared in case there are complications with the pregnancy? I commonly will see dogs who are in need of a C-Section but the owners are not financially prepared. A C-Section can cost $1000-$3000 and most vets will not allow a payment plan for this.

Are you prepared if she will not nurse her puppies? If the mom refuses to nurse, then you will need to feed these puppies by hand every 1-3 hours around the clock.

A responsible breeder will take xrays to screen for hip and elbow dysplasia before breeding as well.

To answer your question, she can be bred any time after her vaccine, but she cannot receive vaccinations while she is pregnant.

Again, though, I would highly advise that you leave the breeding to people who do dog breeding as a profession!

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (7526 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (8454 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (34277 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (9748 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (7449 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (22081 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (6873 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (15115 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (8707 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (8597 views)