Breeding and vaccines.

Breed: Blue nose pitbull
I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual vaccines. At this moment I wanted to breed her because she is in heat. How long do I have to wait to breed her after she has been given her annual vaccines? One day or more? Thank You!

I would highly discourage you from breeding your dog. I'll give you a few reasons why.

First of all, are you prepared in case there are complications with the pregnancy? I commonly will see dogs who are in need of a C-Section but the owners are not financially prepared. A C-Section can cost $1000-$3000 and most vets will not allow a payment plan for this.

Are you prepared if she will not nurse her puppies? If the mom refuses to nurse, then you will need to feed these puppies by hand every 1-3 hours around the clock.

A responsible breeder will take xrays to screen for hip and elbow dysplasia before breeding as well.

To answer your question, she can be bred any time after her vaccine, but she cannot receive vaccinations while she is pregnant.

Again, though, I would highly advise that you leave the breeding to people who do dog breeding as a profession!

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (9688 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (9267 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (19697 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (10172 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (11336 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (32395 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (16253 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (12913 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (138186 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13660 views)