Breeding and vaccines.

Breed: Blue nose pitbull
I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual vaccines. At this moment I wanted to breed her because she is in heat. How long do I have to wait to breed her after she has been given her annual vaccines? One day or more? Thank You!

I would highly discourage you from breeding your dog. I'll give you a few reasons why.

First of all, are you prepared in case there are complications with the pregnancy? I commonly will see dogs who are in need of a C-Section but the owners are not financially prepared. A C-Section can cost $1000-$3000 and most vets will not allow a payment plan for this.

Are you prepared if she will not nurse her puppies? If the mom refuses to nurse, then you will need to feed these puppies by hand every 1-3 hours around the clock.

A responsible breeder will take xrays to screen for hip and elbow dysplasia before breeding as well.

To answer your question, she can be bred any time after her vaccine, but she cannot receive vaccinations while she is pregnant.

Again, though, I would highly advise that you leave the breeding to people who do dog breeding as a profession!

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6459 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11615 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5105 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (12744 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6809 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (22038 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10700 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10114 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12598 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4792 views)