Wart on a cat?

Breed: Main Coone
Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten slightly larger since then. No other information on this bump. Do you know what this might be? (Photo sent via email.)

Thank you for your time. -Nikole

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo:

cat wart

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts. The most likely explanation for this is that it is a wart and nothing to get concerned over. We don't really know why cats get warts. I don't get concerned about them unless they are bothersome to the cat.

However, there is always a small chance that this is something else such as a mast cell tumor or a similar type of cancer. From the photo I would say that I am 95% sure it is nothing to be concerned about. If this were my patient I would probably recommend that the next time you were in my office we do some tests on it. The tests would be to put a small needle into it and pull some cells out to look at under the microscope just to make sure it is not something serious.

I wouldn't rush in to the vet right now to have it tested, but I would want to test it if it is getting significantly bigger or if it becomes red and swollen or itchy at all.

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (17354 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (13068 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5179 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14707 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (22752 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11861 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8719 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (20321 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (13391 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5673 views)