Wart on a cat?

Breed: Main Coone
Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten slightly larger since then. No other information on this bump. Do you know what this might be? (Photo sent via email.)

Thank you for your time. -Nikole

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo:

cat wart

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts. The most likely explanation for this is that it is a wart and nothing to get concerned over. We don't really know why cats get warts. I don't get concerned about them unless they are bothersome to the cat.

However, there is always a small chance that this is something else such as a mast cell tumor or a similar type of cancer. From the photo I would say that I am 95% sure it is nothing to be concerned about. If this were my patient I would probably recommend that the next time you were in my office we do some tests on it. The tests would be to put a small needle into it and pull some cells out to look at under the microscope just to make sure it is not something serious.

I wouldn't rush in to the vet right now to have it tested, but I would want to test it if it is getting significantly bigger or if it becomes red and swollen or itchy at all.

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7583 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5996 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6417 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (10589 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (74543 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (16261 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8486 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (7497 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10287 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (7513 views)