Wart on a cat?

Breed: Main Coone
Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten slightly larger since then. No other information on this bump. Do you know what this might be? (Photo sent via email.)

Thank you for your time. -Nikole

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo:

cat wart

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts. The most likely explanation for this is that it is a wart and nothing to get concerned over. We don't really know why cats get warts. I don't get concerned about them unless they are bothersome to the cat.

However, there is always a small chance that this is something else such as a mast cell tumor or a similar type of cancer. From the photo I would say that I am 95% sure it is nothing to be concerned about. If this were my patient I would probably recommend that the next time you were in my office we do some tests on it. The tests would be to put a small needle into it and pull some cells out to look at under the microscope just to make sure it is not something serious.

I wouldn't rush in to the vet right now to have it tested, but I would want to test it if it is getting significantly bigger or if it becomes red and swollen or itchy at all.

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (11042 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (22758 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (12653 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (10290 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (7005 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (27455 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (11186 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (9045 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (22794 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (19173 views)