Wart on a cat?

Breed: Main Coone
Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten slightly larger since then. No other information on this bump. Do you know what this might be? (Photo sent via email.)

Thank you for your time. -Nikole

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo:

cat wart

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts. The most likely explanation for this is that it is a wart and nothing to get concerned over. We don't really know why cats get warts. I don't get concerned about them unless they are bothersome to the cat.

However, there is always a small chance that this is something else such as a mast cell tumor or a similar type of cancer. From the photo I would say that I am 95% sure it is nothing to be concerned about. If this were my patient I would probably recommend that the next time you were in my office we do some tests on it. The tests would be to put a small needle into it and pull some cells out to look at under the microscope just to make sure it is not something serious.

I wouldn't rush in to the vet right now to have it tested, but I would want to test it if it is getting significantly bigger or if it becomes red and swollen or itchy at all.

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (6827 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8529 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (134619 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17548 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15477 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (38466 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (10562 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11005 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5244 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11076 views)