Wart on a cat?

Breed: Main Coone
Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten slightly larger since then. No other information on this bump. Do you know what this might be? (Photo sent via email.)

Thank you for your time. -Nikole

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo:

cat wart

Now, I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts. The most likely explanation for this is that it is a wart and nothing to get concerned over. We don't really know why cats get warts. I don't get concerned about them unless they are bothersome to the cat.

However, there is always a small chance that this is something else such as a mast cell tumor or a similar type of cancer. From the photo I would say that I am 95% sure it is nothing to be concerned about. If this were my patient I would probably recommend that the next time you were in my office we do some tests on it. The tests would be to put a small needle into it and pull some cells out to look at under the microscope just to make sure it is not something serious.

I wouldn't rush in to the vet right now to have it tested, but I would want to test it if it is getting significantly bigger or if it becomes red and swollen or itchy at all.

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10963 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (11670 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (8674 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (46127 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (39404 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11735 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (5211 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (44419 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (5369 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6955 views)