cat with trouble breathing

Breed: American Shot hair
I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over weight, she weights 12 pounds. Ever time I change her type of cat food, she vomits. But lately she has been vomiting a lot. The past 2 days she has been throwing up for some unknown reasons. She also looks like she is in pain. She usually is outside exploring and being a cat, but lately she just walks like she is in pain, and plops down on the ground, and wont get up for hours. She also takes extremely deep breathes like she has a hard time breathing. I really need to know what is causing this. Please help.
-Alexx

Sorry to hear that Bunny is having problems. While sometimes it can be "normal" for a cat to vomit occasionally, what you are describing with Bunny has me concerned.

The lethargy and the difficulty breathing means that there is likely something serious going on. It can mean a number of things. I think that the breathing issues are actually the most important. Some possible causes include:

-an abscess causing fever or pain
-anemia (low red cells) which could be caused by a blood parasite she can get from fleas (hemobartonella).
-fluid in the chest - either from heart failure or cancer or a virus called FIP
-severe asthma

Any time a cat is having labored breathing it is a cause for serious concern. I would advise a vet visit right away.

I hope she does ok!

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (71729 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6647 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5682 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12889 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (24279 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5671 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7486 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26976 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (8835 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9035 views)