cat with trouble breathing

Breed: American Shot hair
I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over weight, she weights 12 pounds. Ever time I change her type of cat food, she vomits. But lately she has been vomiting a lot. The past 2 days she has been throwing up for some unknown reasons. She also looks like she is in pain. She usually is outside exploring and being a cat, but lately she just walks like she is in pain, and plops down on the ground, and wont get up for hours. She also takes extremely deep breathes like she has a hard time breathing. I really need to know what is causing this. Please help.
-Alexx

Sorry to hear that Bunny is having problems. While sometimes it can be "normal" for a cat to vomit occasionally, what you are describing with Bunny has me concerned.

The lethargy and the difficulty breathing means that there is likely something serious going on. It can mean a number of things. I think that the breathing issues are actually the most important. Some possible causes include:

-an abscess causing fever or pain
-anemia (low red cells) which could be caused by a blood parasite she can get from fleas (hemobartonella).
-fluid in the chest - either from heart failure or cancer or a virus called FIP
-severe asthma

Any time a cat is having labored breathing it is a cause for serious concern. I would advise a vet visit right away.

I hope she does ok!

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8735 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (41484 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (6442 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (15018 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8226 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (9350 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (12066 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11047 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (10835 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6875 views)