cat with trouble breathing

Breed: American Shot hair
I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over weight, she weights 12 pounds. Ever time I change her type of cat food, she vomits. But lately she has been vomiting a lot. The past 2 days she has been throwing up for some unknown reasons. She also looks like she is in pain. She usually is outside exploring and being a cat, but lately she just walks like she is in pain, and plops down on the ground, and wont get up for hours. She also takes extremely deep breathes like she has a hard time breathing. I really need to know what is causing this. Please help.
-Alexx

Sorry to hear that Bunny is having problems. While sometimes it can be "normal" for a cat to vomit occasionally, what you are describing with Bunny has me concerned.

The lethargy and the difficulty breathing means that there is likely something serious going on. It can mean a number of things. I think that the breathing issues are actually the most important. Some possible causes include:

-an abscess causing fever or pain
-anemia (low red cells) which could be caused by a blood parasite she can get from fleas (hemobartonella).
-fluid in the chest - either from heart failure or cancer or a virus called FIP
-severe asthma

Any time a cat is having labored breathing it is a cause for serious concern. I would advise a vet visit right away.

I hope she does ok!

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (35701 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11607 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (22509 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14533 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8845 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6691 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (15234 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12277 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13617 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (7221 views)