cat with trouble breathing

Breed: American Shot hair
I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over weight, she weights 12 pounds. Ever time I change her type of cat food, she vomits. But lately she has been vomiting a lot. The past 2 days she has been throwing up for some unknown reasons. She also looks like she is in pain. She usually is outside exploring and being a cat, but lately she just walks like she is in pain, and plops down on the ground, and wont get up for hours. She also takes extremely deep breathes like she has a hard time breathing. I really need to know what is causing this. Please help.
-Alexx

Sorry to hear that Bunny is having problems. While sometimes it can be "normal" for a cat to vomit occasionally, what you are describing with Bunny has me concerned.

The lethargy and the difficulty breathing means that there is likely something serious going on. It can mean a number of things. I think that the breathing issues are actually the most important. Some possible causes include:

-an abscess causing fever or pain
-anemia (low red cells) which could be caused by a blood parasite she can get from fleas (hemobartonella).
-fluid in the chest - either from heart failure or cancer or a virus called FIP
-severe asthma

Any time a cat is having labored breathing it is a cause for serious concern. I would advise a vet visit right away.

I hope she does ok!

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (7666 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (12794 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7231 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (68832 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13498 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7006 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8337 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7533 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (9210 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12172 views)