Infected spay incision?

Breed: Shih-Tzu
Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now, there is some swealing with a lump at one end of the wound.I put some kid polysporin antibiotc cream but it doesnt look like its doing much. She is not in pain and she let me touch the wound. It feels tighter and I can definitely feel some flesh in there, like a lump, and its kind of opening up..No discharge. The dog is not apathic, acting normally, good energy level and eating fine, so I don't want to panic and pay 200$ in vet fees for nothing as it had happenned a couple times already hahaha. Sharing some before and after pics on your email.. (I'll try) Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photos of your dog's spay incision. These really help me to give you an answer.

Here is the before photo:

spay incision

And here is the after photo:

infected spay incision

This does look like something that you should have the vet look at. It is definitely not normal for the incision to look puffy and swollen like this 12 days after surgery.

My first guess is that there is some suture material that is poking through and causing a local reaction. If that's the case then the vet can probably remove the material quite easily and everything should clear up within a few days.

It is possible that this is a mild infection though. Normally an infection will be itchy and painful for a dog but I have seen some dogs who don't seem to pay attention to an infected area. If this is an infection then antibiotics should be necessary.

If you are able to take Puppy Pooh back to the vet who did the surgery, in many cases they either won't charge to recheck, or may just charge for medications. It really shouldn't be an expensive visit.

Thank you so much for your competent answer. I have an apt at the vet in one hour.Hopefully that she won't have to reopen a lot!! :( Of my 2 shih-tzus who got spayed at the same time, she was the one who were healing the fastest (cause the other one had a hernia fixed on the belly so she had a longer incision)I was so happy that all this was behind us...

Thanks again. It's a great idea to have a system like this. Very useful. Two thumbs up!

:)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8327 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13390 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (11528 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (6245 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (14631 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (18318 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (9431 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (23538 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11658 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (25509 views)