Infected spay incision?

Breed: Shih-Tzu
Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now, there is some swealing with a lump at one end of the wound.I put some kid polysporin antibiotc cream but it doesnt look like its doing much. She is not in pain and she let me touch the wound. It feels tighter and I can definitely feel some flesh in there, like a lump, and its kind of opening up..No discharge. The dog is not apathic, acting normally, good energy level and eating fine, so I don't want to panic and pay 200$ in vet fees for nothing as it had happenned a couple times already hahaha. Sharing some before and after pics on your email.. (I'll try) Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photos of your dog's spay incision. These really help me to give you an answer.

Here is the before photo:

spay incision

And here is the after photo:

infected spay incision

This does look like something that you should have the vet look at. It is definitely not normal for the incision to look puffy and swollen like this 12 days after surgery.

My first guess is that there is some suture material that is poking through and causing a local reaction. If that's the case then the vet can probably remove the material quite easily and everything should clear up within a few days.

It is possible that this is a mild infection though. Normally an infection will be itchy and painful for a dog but I have seen some dogs who don't seem to pay attention to an infected area. If this is an infection then antibiotics should be necessary.

If you are able to take Puppy Pooh back to the vet who did the surgery, in many cases they either won't charge to recheck, or may just charge for medications. It really shouldn't be an expensive visit.

Thank you so much for your competent answer. I have an apt at the vet in one hour.Hopefully that she won't have to reopen a lot!! :( Of my 2 shih-tzus who got spayed at the same time, she was the one who were healing the fastest (cause the other one had a hernia fixed on the belly so she had a longer incision)I was so happy that all this was behind us...

Thanks again. It's a great idea to have a system like this. Very useful. Two thumbs up!

:)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6291 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5943 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (21896 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10030 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (10880 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (44687 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (10794 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7788 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (7584 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (10637 views)