Infected spay incision?

Breed: Shih-Tzu
Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now, there is some swealing with a lump at one end of the wound.I put some kid polysporin antibiotc cream but it doesnt look like its doing much. She is not in pain and she let me touch the wound. It feels tighter and I can definitely feel some flesh in there, like a lump, and its kind of opening up..No discharge. The dog is not apathic, acting normally, good energy level and eating fine, so I don't want to panic and pay 200$ in vet fees for nothing as it had happenned a couple times already hahaha. Sharing some before and after pics on your email.. (I'll try) Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photos of your dog's spay incision. These really help me to give you an answer.

Here is the before photo:

spay incision

And here is the after photo:

infected spay incision

This does look like something that you should have the vet look at. It is definitely not normal for the incision to look puffy and swollen like this 12 days after surgery.

My first guess is that there is some suture material that is poking through and causing a local reaction. If that's the case then the vet can probably remove the material quite easily and everything should clear up within a few days.

It is possible that this is a mild infection though. Normally an infection will be itchy and painful for a dog but I have seen some dogs who don't seem to pay attention to an infected area. If this is an infection then antibiotics should be necessary.

If you are able to take Puppy Pooh back to the vet who did the surgery, in many cases they either won't charge to recheck, or may just charge for medications. It really shouldn't be an expensive visit.

Thank you so much for your competent answer. I have an apt at the vet in one hour.Hopefully that she won't have to reopen a lot!! :( Of my 2 shih-tzus who got spayed at the same time, she was the one who were healing the fastest (cause the other one had a hernia fixed on the belly so she had a longer incision)I was so happy that all this was behind us...

Thanks again. It's a great idea to have a system like this. Very useful. Two thumbs up!

:)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8603 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (7162 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (30113 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22816 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (25269 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (27449 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (13370 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4863 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8518 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (13822 views)