Infected spay incision?

Breed: Shih-Tzu
Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now, there is some swealing with a lump at one end of the wound.I put some kid polysporin antibiotc cream but it doesnt look like its doing much. She is not in pain and she let me touch the wound. It feels tighter and I can definitely feel some flesh in there, like a lump, and its kind of opening up..No discharge. The dog is not apathic, acting normally, good energy level and eating fine, so I don't want to panic and pay 200$ in vet fees for nothing as it had happenned a couple times already hahaha. Sharing some before and after pics on your email.. (I'll try) Thanks

Thanks for sending me the photos of your dog's spay incision. These really help me to give you an answer.

Here is the before photo:

spay incision

And here is the after photo:

infected spay incision

This does look like something that you should have the vet look at. It is definitely not normal for the incision to look puffy and swollen like this 12 days after surgery.

My first guess is that there is some suture material that is poking through and causing a local reaction. If that's the case then the vet can probably remove the material quite easily and everything should clear up within a few days.

It is possible that this is a mild infection though. Normally an infection will be itchy and painful for a dog but I have seen some dogs who don't seem to pay attention to an infected area. If this is an infection then antibiotics should be necessary.

If you are able to take Puppy Pooh back to the vet who did the surgery, in many cases they either won't charge to recheck, or may just charge for medications. It really shouldn't be an expensive visit.

Thank you so much for your competent answer. I have an apt at the vet in one hour.Hopefully that she won't have to reopen a lot!! :( Of my 2 shih-tzus who got spayed at the same time, she was the one who were healing the fastest (cause the other one had a hernia fixed on the belly so she had a longer incision)I was so happy that all this was behind us...

Thanks again. It's a great idea to have a system like this. Very useful. Two thumbs up!

:)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9507 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8759 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13168 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12375 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8356 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (19477 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (33286 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (24005 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35242 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6859 views)