Does pet store flea medicine work?

Breed: Mutt
My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea medicine goes behind her neck. She has been itching like crazy. I've only found a few fleas on her. Today I noticed her acting odd. She doesn't want to walk. She keeps wanting to sit on her bottom. She hasn't had a BM today. It's as If she's scares to go. Her butt feels like there's a knot inside. Jer behavior is different. What should I do?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Fleas are so frustrating!

I get really frustrated at pet store products for fleas. The products you buy in the pet store do not work well. Flea baths and collars are almost useless. The topical medications like Zodiac and Biospot are different than the prescription products work much better.

Products that do work well to kill fleas include:
  • Frontline

• Advantage

• Revolution

• What you are describing with her constantly wanting to sit on her bottom may be related to a flea allergy. Often dogs with an allergy to fleas will have severely red itchy spots either on the top of their tails or underneath the tail. These usually need to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Another reason for dogs to sit suddenly on their bum is if her anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and when they are full they are uncomfortable. While you can possibly empty them yourselves it is best to have a vet do it, especially for the first time.

However, I would be worried that this is all related to fleas.

It sounds like a vet visit is the best idea.

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (69223 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (12740 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (14634 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (104207 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (10036 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (9419 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (62830 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (16987 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (22395 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (16019 views)