Does pet store flea medicine work?

Breed: Mutt
My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea medicine goes behind her neck. She has been itching like crazy. I've only found a few fleas on her. Today I noticed her acting odd. She doesn't want to walk. She keeps wanting to sit on her bottom. She hasn't had a BM today. It's as If she's scares to go. Her butt feels like there's a knot inside. Jer behavior is different. What should I do?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Fleas are so frustrating!

I get really frustrated at pet store products for fleas. The products you buy in the pet store do not work well. Flea baths and collars are almost useless. The topical medications like Zodiac and Biospot are different than the prescription products work much better.

Products that do work well to kill fleas include:
  • Frontline

• Advantage

• Revolution

• What you are describing with her constantly wanting to sit on her bottom may be related to a flea allergy. Often dogs with an allergy to fleas will have severely red itchy spots either on the top of their tails or underneath the tail. These usually need to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Another reason for dogs to sit suddenly on their bum is if her anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and when they are full they are uncomfortable. While you can possibly empty them yourselves it is best to have a vet do it, especially for the first time.

However, I would be worried that this is all related to fleas.

It sounds like a vet visit is the best idea.

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (8472 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (21822 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5971 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (26846 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (12296 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (9928 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (10561 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (14697 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (74938 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (18177 views)