Does pet store flea medicine work?

Breed: Mutt
My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea medicine goes behind her neck. She has been itching like crazy. I've only found a few fleas on her. Today I noticed her acting odd. She doesn't want to walk. She keeps wanting to sit on her bottom. She hasn't had a BM today. It's as If she's scares to go. Her butt feels like there's a knot inside. Jer behavior is different. What should I do?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Fleas are so frustrating!

I get really frustrated at pet store products for fleas. The products you buy in the pet store do not work well. Flea baths and collars are almost useless. The topical medications like Zodiac and Biospot are different than the prescription products work much better.

Products that do work well to kill fleas include:
  • Frontline

• Advantage

• Revolution

• What you are describing with her constantly wanting to sit on her bottom may be related to a flea allergy. Often dogs with an allergy to fleas will have severely red itchy spots either on the top of their tails or underneath the tail. These usually need to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Another reason for dogs to sit suddenly on their bum is if her anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and when they are full they are uncomfortable. While you can possibly empty them yourselves it is best to have a vet do it, especially for the first time.

However, I would be worried that this is all related to fleas.

It sounds like a vet visit is the best idea.

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (9148 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (21973 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (9683 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (11930 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (139880 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (13918 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8992 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (6121 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (11434 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (9808 views)