Does pet store flea medicine work?

Breed: Mutt
My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea medicine goes behind her neck. She has been itching like crazy. I've only found a few fleas on her. Today I noticed her acting odd. She doesn't want to walk. She keeps wanting to sit on her bottom. She hasn't had a BM today. It's as If she's scares to go. Her butt feels like there's a knot inside. Jer behavior is different. What should I do?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Fleas are so frustrating!

I get really frustrated at pet store products for fleas. The products you buy in the pet store do not work well. Flea baths and collars are almost useless. The topical medications like Zodiac and Biospot are different than the prescription products work much better.

Products that do work well to kill fleas include:
  • Frontline

• Advantage

• Revolution

• What you are describing with her constantly wanting to sit on her bottom may be related to a flea allergy. Often dogs with an allergy to fleas will have severely red itchy spots either on the top of their tails or underneath the tail. These usually need to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Another reason for dogs to sit suddenly on their bum is if her anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and when they are full they are uncomfortable. While you can possibly empty them yourselves it is best to have a vet do it, especially for the first time.

However, I would be worried that this is all related to fleas.

It sounds like a vet visit is the best idea.

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (8378 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (9181 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (549065 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (25518 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6663 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (11199 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (21544 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (64325 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (9556 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (12060 views)