Does pet store flea medicine work?

Breed: Mutt
My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea medicine goes behind her neck. She has been itching like crazy. I've only found a few fleas on her. Today I noticed her acting odd. She doesn't want to walk. She keeps wanting to sit on her bottom. She hasn't had a BM today. It's as If she's scares to go. Her butt feels like there's a knot inside. Jer behavior is different. What should I do?

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Fleas are so frustrating!

I get really frustrated at pet store products for fleas. The products you buy in the pet store do not work well. Flea baths and collars are almost useless. The topical medications like Zodiac and Biospot are different than the prescription products work much better.

Products that do work well to kill fleas include:
  • Frontline

• Advantage

• Revolution

• What you are describing with her constantly wanting to sit on her bottom may be related to a flea allergy. Often dogs with an allergy to fleas will have severely red itchy spots either on the top of their tails or underneath the tail. These usually need to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Another reason for dogs to sit suddenly on their bum is if her anal glands are full. These glands sit on either side of the anus and when they are full they are uncomfortable. While you can possibly empty them yourselves it is best to have a vet do it, especially for the first time.

However, I would be worried that this is all related to fleas.

It sounds like a vet visit is the best idea.

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6938 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (21365 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19164 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10078 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (19658 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (7868 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11698 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (6051 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (8161 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7604 views)