Limping cat.

Breed: Calico
Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she had a similar limping situation and her vet xrayed her shoulder and arm and it did not show anything and then within a few months it resolved. I am an RN btw.

Now she is limping in a similar way. Her vet has palpated her paw in two visits without finding anything. She is not tender in her shoulder, elbow or forearm. No real difference in the muscles size in each arm. She does not lick the paw but I think the problem is in her paw.

I took her to an Ortho vet who examined her closely but found nothing. He has a neurovet also look at her thinking maybe it was neuro related and found nothing. I also tried glucosamine for a month thinking it might be tendon related without change.

She is still limping, 3 more months later. She does not limp all the time but it is heartbreaking to watch. She does not seem to be in pain.

Do cats's get cysts or neuromas or bone spurs in their paws which wouldn't show up on an xray? I am trying to think what else could be causing this.

She is polydactyl btw (calico) but her nails are fine.

Wonder if you have any thoughts of what else it might be?

thank-you

Shelley

Hi Shelley. I'm sorry to hear that Ginger is having problems like this. Lameness issues in cats can be really difficult to figure out. It's even more frustrating that you have not been able to get an answer from an Ortho vet and a neurologist. Usually these guys are able to figure out the frustrating cases like this.

Some type of a neuroma is possible although really not common in cats. However, if this was neurological, the neurologist really should have been able to pick up some kind of abnormality on their exam. They are really good at looking at reflexes and palpating just the right things to find neurological issues.

Some type of bone spur is certain possible. If there was an issue in her carpus (wrist) then these things are super hard to see on xrays because the xray of the wrist is a mess of tiny little bones.

Is she on any medication? If not, you may want to ask your vet about a trial of a medication such as Metacam. Metacam use in cats is a little bit controversial. I wrote an article about it a while ago: Metacam in cats.. However, the oral formulation of Metacam has been shown to be quite safe. I have a lot of cats on long term Metacam when they have pain issues that I can't figure out.

Another option is injections of something called either Adequan or Cartrophen. These are medications to help with joint pain. They are very safe.

You could also consider putting her on a prescription food such as Royal Canin Mobility. I have had a lot of cats with pain issues that do well on this food.

If you are finding that these treatments don't help then you could consider asking your vet about putting her on gabapentin. Gabapentin is often good for neurological pain. One of the problems though is that it is not commonly used in cats.

I wish I had more answers for you! I hope things are better soon.

Thank you very much for your time and the suggestions. Sounds like arthritis in her paw joint could be a possibilty. I will look into the options you outline. The food change is obviously the least invasive.

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (8923 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (6120 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (22838 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (5757 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (30071 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (12498 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (8660 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (47094 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (17734 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (9004 views)