Lump on kitten's chest.

Breed: siamese
Hi

I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on the underneath of him and i can only describe it feeling like a bone sticking straight out however i know its not his rib because his ribs are tiny compared to this nodule/nobble / hard lump..... have you any idea what it might be and how it can be fixed

Thanks for your question!

It's always hard to talk about lumps online but I'll see if I can help.

I have seen some animals that have a strange thing on their chest that is actually a malformation of the end of the ribs. It's hard to describe but it's like the end of the last rib does an extra curl out and feels like a hard bone.

If the bump is right on the midline what you may be feeling is either his sternum or xyphoid both of which are normal parts of the rib cage.

It is unlikely that it is anything serious. But if it starts to get bothersome or if it is growing larger then a vet visit is a good idea.

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (10146 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (32783 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9448 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (31403 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14155 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (13464 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5313 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6405 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (11235 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5608 views)