Is this a chest tumor?

Breed: Siamese- Apple head
Hello.

My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing about a month ago.
There has not been any noticable changes in her activity, eating or litter box.

The cough recently became more frequent: day and night, from asleep and awake. So we took her to the vet. They put her on steroids and antibiotics. There was no improvement.

Xrays were taken and nodules are in her left lung. The vet has referred us to an internal medicine doctor for an ultrasound. Our appointment is Monday 4/15.
Everything I'm reading says that there is not an easy, 100% accurate way to determine what's in the lungs. Is there any other option for diagnosis?

I would like to know all of our options before handing out $450 to be told that the ultrasound doesn't show anything.

Yueng coughed all of lastnight. It is heartbreaking to see her suffer through those cough attacks. So, I would like to make sure that what we are doing to help her isn't wasting time nor our limited money.

Thank you for your insight!

p.s. When I get home from work tonight, I will send you her xrays.

Hi. Are you able to send the xrays still? I was about to answer the question but if you are able to send an image of the xrays to me this may give me more information. I am heading offline for the night right now, but I'll check in on the question again tomorrow.

I just emailed the xrays to your photo@ email address.
My vet had to email the xrays again. I was not able to open the photos from the disc that they gave me.

Let me know if you did not receive them.

Thank you for sending these images of xrays. I have spent some time in photoshop and outlined what the problem may be. It's often hard to interpret xrays though and this is likely why your vet wants to have further tests done.

Here is the lateral (side) view of Yueng's chest:

cat chest xray lateral view

When you look at chest xrays, you want to see black where air should be. You should be able to easily see the heart. In the image below, I have outlined the heart, but there is a troublesome area that may possibly be a tumor:

cat xray of tumor in chest - lateral view

Here is the v/d view. This is done with the cat on her back. (I just realized that I have these flipped the wrong way horizontally, but that really doesn't matter for my explanation:

cat xray of chest v/d view

In a v/d view of a chest xray, when you look at the black areas on either side they should be symmetrical. But, there is a density on the left side of this xray which could be a tumor:

cat xray of tumor in chest - v/d view

The problem is though that xrays are super hard to interpret. What I can say is that there is *something* unusual there and the most likely explanation is that this is a tumor. However, it could be that this is a collapsed lung or even pneumonia (that perhaps needs a different type of antibiotic) or a number of other unusual types of things.

An ultrasound may give us the answer, but it is not always 100%. If the vet feels it is safe and necessary they may consider putting a needle into this area when they are ultrasounding to see if they can draw out some cells. The cells may tell you whether this is a tumor or something else.

Hopefully it is not a tumor as cats with chest tumors usually do not do well.

I hope this answers your questions but please let me know if you have more. I hope that all works out ok.

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (21282 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32544 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26781 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7242 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (8699 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (14261 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10771 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (46824 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (67581 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13686 views)