Eyes rolled back in head.

Breed: Boxer
About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot. I rushed him to a ER Vet and they did blood work (found nothing) and fluids. They also prescribed him antibiotics and steroids. After about a day, he seemed to feel & look better. Well, this evening his eyes did the same thing again. I called the vet and they told me to NOT bring him in for the same thing that they couldnt do anything for him and to let this ride its course. What is happening to my poor doggie?

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Bruce and you are going through this.

What you have described is not a common problem. It sounds like what you were seeing was some type of a seizure. Often if this is the case then blood tests will not find any problems.

It is not really common to see seizures in a puppy like this, but they can happen. There are several possible reasons for seizures in puppies.

If Bruce had any sort of illness or virus when he was really little it is possible that he has some scarring in his brain that can cause seizures. This is most common with dogs who have had distemper.

We can also see this in dogs that have ingested something toxic. However, the chances that this happens more than once are not high. If there are any recreational drugs in the house such as marijuana then this is a possibility.

It is also possible that there is a malformation in his brain. Unfortunately these can be hard to diagnose without an MRI which can be quite pricey.

The other possibility is epilepsy. There is no test for epilepsy but if we have ruled out everything else then this is what we usually diagnose. I get worried if epilepsy is diagnosed in a young dog because it often can be hard to control if it is diagnosed at a young age.

Another thing that could cause his eyes to become blood shot would be an allergic reaction to something like a bee sting. However, this shouldn't really cause his eyes to roll back.

As long as Bruce is not seeming to be in distress then I would agree that it is a good idea to monitor him for now. I would advise that you mark down today's date so that we can monitor how frequently this is happening if it happens again. (But hopefully it doesn't happen again!)

Another thing that may help is to see if you can videotape him when he has an episode.

If these are happening very frequently (such as several times per month) then your vet may prescribe some anti-seizure medications.

I wish I could give you more information but this is an unusual situation!

I hope he is feeling better soon,

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (100124 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9944 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (29543 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (7600 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18082 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (28801 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15418 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9116 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (118551 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (10769 views)