Eyes rolled back in head.

Breed: Boxer
About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot. I rushed him to a ER Vet and they did blood work (found nothing) and fluids. They also prescribed him antibiotics and steroids. After about a day, he seemed to feel & look better. Well, this evening his eyes did the same thing again. I called the vet and they told me to NOT bring him in for the same thing that they couldnt do anything for him and to let this ride its course. What is happening to my poor doggie?

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Bruce and you are going through this.

What you have described is not a common problem. It sounds like what you were seeing was some type of a seizure. Often if this is the case then blood tests will not find any problems.

It is not really common to see seizures in a puppy like this, but they can happen. There are several possible reasons for seizures in puppies.

If Bruce had any sort of illness or virus when he was really little it is possible that he has some scarring in his brain that can cause seizures. This is most common with dogs who have had distemper.

We can also see this in dogs that have ingested something toxic. However, the chances that this happens more than once are not high. If there are any recreational drugs in the house such as marijuana then this is a possibility.

It is also possible that there is a malformation in his brain. Unfortunately these can be hard to diagnose without an MRI which can be quite pricey.

The other possibility is epilepsy. There is no test for epilepsy but if we have ruled out everything else then this is what we usually diagnose. I get worried if epilepsy is diagnosed in a young dog because it often can be hard to control if it is diagnosed at a young age.

Another thing that could cause his eyes to become blood shot would be an allergic reaction to something like a bee sting. However, this shouldn't really cause his eyes to roll back.

As long as Bruce is not seeming to be in distress then I would agree that it is a good idea to monitor him for now. I would advise that you mark down today's date so that we can monitor how frequently this is happening if it happens again. (But hopefully it doesn't happen again!)

Another thing that may help is to see if you can videotape him when he has an episode.

If these are happening very frequently (such as several times per month) then your vet may prescribe some anti-seizure medications.

I wish I could give you more information but this is an unusual situation!

I hope he is feeling better soon,

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (39282 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (22122 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (20284 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (6896 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (12111 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (9771 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (21790 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9724 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (21840 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (11752 views)