Rabbit euthanasia questions.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to put her asleep and then injected her with a solution. Is that a sure thing? I keep thinking she was buried alive. Is that even possible? This thought is killing me. Putting her down was hard enough now I keep thinking this. Please help.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny.

What you are describing, with having doubts about her death seems to be a very normal thing for people to think. I often have to counsel my clients and assure them that yes, we did know 100% that the animal was put to sleep.

The method you described for euthanasia is very standard for rabbits. We administer a gas anesthetic and then give an injection (either intravenously or directly into the heart) that works to stop the heart.

The medicine always works. You do not need to worry that Macy was not deceased.

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29683 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10480 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11620 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15126 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10506 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (38517 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (19067 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28302 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5180 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19680 views)