Rabbit euthanasia questions.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to put her asleep and then injected her with a solution. Is that a sure thing? I keep thinking she was buried alive. Is that even possible? This thought is killing me. Putting her down was hard enough now I keep thinking this. Please help.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny.

What you are describing, with having doubts about her death seems to be a very normal thing for people to think. I often have to counsel my clients and assure them that yes, we did know 100% that the animal was put to sleep.

The method you described for euthanasia is very standard for rabbits. We administer a gas anesthetic and then give an injection (either intravenously or directly into the heart) that works to stop the heart.

The medicine always works. You do not need to worry that Macy was not deceased.

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15063 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (14925 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19222 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10009 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (15587 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8079 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20082 views)

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (12144 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10242 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13100 views)