Rabbit euthanasia questions.

Breed: mini lop rabbit
I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to put her asleep and then injected her with a solution. Is that a sure thing? I keep thinking she was buried alive. Is that even possible? This thought is killing me. Putting her down was hard enough now I keep thinking this. Please help.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny.

What you are describing, with having doubts about her death seems to be a very normal thing for people to think. I often have to counsel my clients and assure them that yes, we did know 100% that the animal was put to sleep.

The method you described for euthanasia is very standard for rabbits. We administer a gas anesthetic and then give an injection (either intravenously or directly into the heart) that works to stop the heart.

The medicine always works. You do not need to worry that Macy was not deceased.

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (55462 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (12617 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (15151 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (6179 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (26184 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (6662 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (9462 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (36638 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (42002 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4466 views)