Seizures in a Yorkie.

Breed: Yorkshire terrier
This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her name or my touch. It looked like she was conscious, just not really with it. It lasted about an hour, then she got up and acted totally normal. Then Wednesday it happened again and lasted about an hour. Yesterday she started having tremors (i'm not sure that is the right word). It looks like an electrical shock starting in her neck and moving through her body. Sometimes it knocks her off her feet. She is eating and drinking normally. She isn't vomiting and doesn't have diarrhea. She has arthritis in her back hips and left rear knee. She is acting normal except for this shaking. I have been taking her on her daily walks and she is full of energy, wanting to play, walk etc.

We give her glucosamine and Proin.
We started Comfortis 2 months ago.

We took her to the vet on Wednesday. He did blood work. Her glycemic level is normal as is her kidney and liver. My vet says he doesn't know what it could be. Maybe neurological?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Jeri...it sounds like you and Chloe are going through some scary times. Sorry to hear that you are having these problems!

This is a tough one for me to comment on without examining Chloe, but I can give you my thoughts.

What you are describing does sound like it could be some type of a seizure. While some seizures can be caused by organ disease (i.e. kidney or liver) if the bloodwork is normal then this is not likely to be the problem. Unfortunately when we see an older animal start to have seizures we really worry aobut something like a tumor in the brain. This is really hard to diagnose without an MRI which is very expensive and not available in every area.

We can sometimes see seizure-like symptoms in dogs with heart disease. However, most dogs with heart disease will have obvious symptoms on their physical exam such as a heart murmur or an irregular rhythm.

It does sound like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would. If the episodes continue they may discuss putting her on an anti-seizure medication such as phenobarbitol or potassium bromide.

I hope she does ok.

About a month ago our vet did find an irregular heartbeat, but didn't hear it during this visit so I didn't mention it. Hmmm... I wonder if that could be it. Is there anything I can give her until I can get her back to the vet on Monday?

Interesting...sometimes heart irregularities can come and go so it may be something that wasn't discernable on the recent visit. If this were my case I may be suggesting some heart xrays or even an ultrasound which is better at diagnosing heart problems but is also more expensive.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything that I can suggest giving other than to keep her as quiet as possible until her next visit.

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (9153 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (10290 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8242 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (4989 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (30200 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (9928 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (18862 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4399 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7105 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6655 views)