Seizures in a Yorkie.

Breed: Yorkshire terrier
This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her name or my touch. It looked like she was conscious, just not really with it. It lasted about an hour, then she got up and acted totally normal. Then Wednesday it happened again and lasted about an hour. Yesterday she started having tremors (i'm not sure that is the right word). It looks like an electrical shock starting in her neck and moving through her body. Sometimes it knocks her off her feet. She is eating and drinking normally. She isn't vomiting and doesn't have diarrhea. She has arthritis in her back hips and left rear knee. She is acting normal except for this shaking. I have been taking her on her daily walks and she is full of energy, wanting to play, walk etc.

We give her glucosamine and Proin.
We started Comfortis 2 months ago.

We took her to the vet on Wednesday. He did blood work. Her glycemic level is normal as is her kidney and liver. My vet says he doesn't know what it could be. Maybe neurological?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Jeri...it sounds like you and Chloe are going through some scary times. Sorry to hear that you are having these problems!

This is a tough one for me to comment on without examining Chloe, but I can give you my thoughts.

What you are describing does sound like it could be some type of a seizure. While some seizures can be caused by organ disease (i.e. kidney or liver) if the bloodwork is normal then this is not likely to be the problem. Unfortunately when we see an older animal start to have seizures we really worry aobut something like a tumor in the brain. This is really hard to diagnose without an MRI which is very expensive and not available in every area.

We can sometimes see seizure-like symptoms in dogs with heart disease. However, most dogs with heart disease will have obvious symptoms on their physical exam such as a heart murmur or an irregular rhythm.

It does sound like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would. If the episodes continue they may discuss putting her on an anti-seizure medication such as phenobarbitol or potassium bromide.

I hope she does ok.

About a month ago our vet did find an irregular heartbeat, but didn't hear it during this visit so I didn't mention it. Hmmm... I wonder if that could be it. Is there anything I can give her until I can get her back to the vet on Monday?

Interesting...sometimes heart irregularities can come and go so it may be something that wasn't discernable on the recent visit. If this were my case I may be suggesting some heart xrays or even an ultrasound which is better at diagnosing heart problems but is also more expensive.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything that I can suggest giving other than to keep her as quiet as possible until her next visit.

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (30018 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (5535 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6393 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9426 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16482 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8814 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (12704 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (41179 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (23591 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14649 views)