Keep dachshund from jumping?

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind legs. She also had diarrhea. My other dog, a Maltese Shih tzu, also had diarrhea at the same time.
We took both dogs to the Vet and they were each given the all-clear, suspecting that it must have been something they ate which gave them the upset stomach. The Vet also seemed to think that Frankie's paralysis and diarrhea were unrelated. We took Frankie home that day and made sure she had plenty of rest. By that evening she had full function of her legs again.
I am terrified of this happening to her again as she is a very active little dog, who can now jump on and off the couch. She also stands on her hind legs and sits.
Is it dangerous for her spine if she stands on her hind legs? Is it dangerous if she sits? I know she should not be allowed to jump on and off any furniture, but I'm confused as to how to prevent this.
We also have 2 steps in our backyard leading from the patio to the garden. Should I put a ramp there instead?
What do you suggest is the optimum diet for a dachshund, as I do not wish for her to put on any more weight.
As you can see I'm a little confused as to how to ensure I protect Frankie's back and minimize any harm. Would really appreciate your expertise on this matter.

The situation that you have described where Frankie's legs were not working and then started to work a few hours later is quite unusual. Dachshunds are very prone to back problems but it would be very strange for a back problem to go away that quickly. I really don't have an explanation for you as to why Frankie lost control of her hind legs.

It is true that if a dog is recovering from a serious back problem that we should keep them from jumping and doing stairs. However, for a healthy dog, as long as it is not a crazy distance, she is fine to do small jumps and stairs. My line of thought is that if a dog has a back that is that unstable that a small jump is going to affect it then it really is going to cause problems no matter what. In other words, if she's brewing a back problem, if you keep her from jumping she may avoid a back problem today but it's just going to happen at some time in the near future.

It really should not be dangerous for her to stand on her hind legs.

Regarding food, you are right to try to keep her a healthy weight. I see so many overweight dachshunds and this is definitely not good for their backs. There is no particular brand of food that I would recommend but I would say that whatever food you choose, measure out how much she gets instead of estimating. Also, be very sparing on treats. Usually treats and table food are what get a dog to be overweight.

I hope this helps!

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (12016 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (12101 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (13498 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (11807 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (21056 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (131985 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (8809 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (8409 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (10339 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (9938 views)