Keep dachshund from jumping?

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind legs. She also had diarrhea. My other dog, a Maltese Shih tzu, also had diarrhea at the same time.
We took both dogs to the Vet and they were each given the all-clear, suspecting that it must have been something they ate which gave them the upset stomach. The Vet also seemed to think that Frankie's paralysis and diarrhea were unrelated. We took Frankie home that day and made sure she had plenty of rest. By that evening she had full function of her legs again.
I am terrified of this happening to her again as she is a very active little dog, who can now jump on and off the couch. She also stands on her hind legs and sits.
Is it dangerous for her spine if she stands on her hind legs? Is it dangerous if she sits? I know she should not be allowed to jump on and off any furniture, but I'm confused as to how to prevent this.
We also have 2 steps in our backyard leading from the patio to the garden. Should I put a ramp there instead?
What do you suggest is the optimum diet for a dachshund, as I do not wish for her to put on any more weight.
As you can see I'm a little confused as to how to ensure I protect Frankie's back and minimize any harm. Would really appreciate your expertise on this matter.

The situation that you have described where Frankie's legs were not working and then started to work a few hours later is quite unusual. Dachshunds are very prone to back problems but it would be very strange for a back problem to go away that quickly. I really don't have an explanation for you as to why Frankie lost control of her hind legs.

It is true that if a dog is recovering from a serious back problem that we should keep them from jumping and doing stairs. However, for a healthy dog, as long as it is not a crazy distance, she is fine to do small jumps and stairs. My line of thought is that if a dog has a back that is that unstable that a small jump is going to affect it then it really is going to cause problems no matter what. In other words, if she's brewing a back problem, if you keep her from jumping she may avoid a back problem today but it's just going to happen at some time in the near future.

It really should not be dangerous for her to stand on her hind legs.

Regarding food, you are right to try to keep her a healthy weight. I see so many overweight dachshunds and this is definitely not good for their backs. There is no particular brand of food that I would recommend but I would say that whatever food you choose, measure out how much she gets instead of estimating. Also, be very sparing on treats. Usually treats and table food are what get a dog to be overweight.

I hope this helps!

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (5197 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (11383 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (39614 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (87924 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (25608 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (25964 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (37100 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (6168 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (40781 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (27458 views)