Keep dachshund from jumping?

Breed: Miniature Dachshund
About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind legs. She also had diarrhea. My other dog, a Maltese Shih tzu, also had diarrhea at the same time.
We took both dogs to the Vet and they were each given the all-clear, suspecting that it must have been something they ate which gave them the upset stomach. The Vet also seemed to think that Frankie's paralysis and diarrhea were unrelated. We took Frankie home that day and made sure she had plenty of rest. By that evening she had full function of her legs again.
I am terrified of this happening to her again as she is a very active little dog, who can now jump on and off the couch. She also stands on her hind legs and sits.
Is it dangerous for her spine if she stands on her hind legs? Is it dangerous if she sits? I know she should not be allowed to jump on and off any furniture, but I'm confused as to how to prevent this.
We also have 2 steps in our backyard leading from the patio to the garden. Should I put a ramp there instead?
What do you suggest is the optimum diet for a dachshund, as I do not wish for her to put on any more weight.
As you can see I'm a little confused as to how to ensure I protect Frankie's back and minimize any harm. Would really appreciate your expertise on this matter.

The situation that you have described where Frankie's legs were not working and then started to work a few hours later is quite unusual. Dachshunds are very prone to back problems but it would be very strange for a back problem to go away that quickly. I really don't have an explanation for you as to why Frankie lost control of her hind legs.

It is true that if a dog is recovering from a serious back problem that we should keep them from jumping and doing stairs. However, for a healthy dog, as long as it is not a crazy distance, she is fine to do small jumps and stairs. My line of thought is that if a dog has a back that is that unstable that a small jump is going to affect it then it really is going to cause problems no matter what. In other words, if she's brewing a back problem, if you keep her from jumping she may avoid a back problem today but it's just going to happen at some time in the near future.

It really should not be dangerous for her to stand on her hind legs.

Regarding food, you are right to try to keep her a healthy weight. I see so many overweight dachshunds and this is definitely not good for their backs. There is no particular brand of food that I would recommend but I would say that whatever food you choose, measure out how much she gets instead of estimating. Also, be very sparing on treats. Usually treats and table food are what get a dog to be overweight.

I hope this helps!

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (13572 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (11376 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (6796 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (12717 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (29202 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (7341 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (9828 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (12902 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (11676 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (11953 views)