Training blind dog.

Breed: Rottweiler
My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and bring her out will do her business and then pull and run towards home. I cannot bring her very far from my home. She is very afraid to walk outside. Is there any way I can get her to gain more courage being outside?

Hi and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is blind.

This is a situation where you need to give lots and lots of positive reinforcement. Start by just going outside just in front of your house. Give her some obedience commands she knows such as sit or down and give her some treats. Do this for a few days and don't push things.

Then, after a few days, walk for 20 seconds and then at that spot do the same thing.

Then, after a few days, push the walk longer.

After a while your dog should recognize that going for a walk is a good thing and actually enjoy doing it.

I hope this helps!

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (23110 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (7955 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (13289 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (14952 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (8537 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (34236 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (9098 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (27970 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (9252 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (9615 views)