Training blind dog.

Breed: Rottweiler
My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and bring her out will do her business and then pull and run towards home. I cannot bring her very far from my home. She is very afraid to walk outside. Is there any way I can get her to gain more courage being outside?

Hi and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is blind.

This is a situation where you need to give lots and lots of positive reinforcement. Start by just going outside just in front of your house. Give her some obedience commands she knows such as sit or down and give her some treats. Do this for a few days and don't push things.

Then, after a few days, walk for 20 seconds and then at that spot do the same thing.

Then, after a few days, push the walk longer.

After a while your dog should recognize that going for a walk is a good thing and actually enjoy doing it.

I hope this helps!

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (17206 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (15059 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11632 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (679511 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6735 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (9155 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (33482 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5970 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5229 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (11446 views)