Training blind dog.

Breed: Rottweiler
My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and bring her out will do her business and then pull and run towards home. I cannot bring her very far from my home. She is very afraid to walk outside. Is there any way I can get her to gain more courage being outside?

Hi and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is blind.

This is a situation where you need to give lots and lots of positive reinforcement. Start by just going outside just in front of your house. Give her some obedience commands she knows such as sit or down and give her some treats. Do this for a few days and don't push things.

Then, after a few days, walk for 20 seconds and then at that spot do the same thing.

Then, after a few days, push the walk longer.

After a while your dog should recognize that going for a walk is a good thing and actually enjoy doing it.

I hope this helps!

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9559 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5305 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9329 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (37296 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (11460 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (17806 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (7298 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7390 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (18722 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (9153 views)