Training blind dog.

Breed: Rottweiler
My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and bring her out will do her business and then pull and run towards home. I cannot bring her very far from my home. She is very afraid to walk outside. Is there any way I can get her to gain more courage being outside?

Hi and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is blind.

This is a situation where you need to give lots and lots of positive reinforcement. Start by just going outside just in front of your house. Give her some obedience commands she knows such as sit or down and give her some treats. Do this for a few days and don't push things.

Then, after a few days, walk for 20 seconds and then at that spot do the same thing.

Then, after a few days, push the walk longer.

After a while your dog should recognize that going for a walk is a good thing and actually enjoy doing it.

I hope this helps!

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (55353 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7810 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (21892 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (16850 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (82462 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (7014 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (15934 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (26352 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (10876 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (11406 views)