Training blind dog.

Breed: Rottweiler
My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and bring her out will do her business and then pull and run towards home. I cannot bring her very far from my home. She is very afraid to walk outside. Is there any way I can get her to gain more courage being outside?

Hi and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that your dog is blind.

This is a situation where you need to give lots and lots of positive reinforcement. Start by just going outside just in front of your house. Give her some obedience commands she knows such as sit or down and give her some treats. Do this for a few days and don't push things.

Then, after a few days, walk for 20 seconds and then at that spot do the same thing.

Then, after a few days, push the walk longer.

After a while your dog should recognize that going for a walk is a good thing and actually enjoy doing it.

I hope this helps!

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (14997 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (17353 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11373 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9052 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6784 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8337 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6407 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8679 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11574 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (16063 views)