Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Why did dog die?

Species: Dog
Breed: lab/retriever
Age: 5-8 years
My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering if you have any input of why? Tuesday and wednesday he had thrown up once each day and then thursday my uncle brought him to our vet. The vet thought just upset stomach, gave some amoxicillin and metoclopramide to calm stomach, becuase the dog also wouldnt eat and was losing weight noticeably. friday came along and he wasnt getting any better, i stayed up with him all night and he threw up about 7-8 times and would go outside and not come back in. at this point he was very out of it, down, couldnt walk well and just looked terrible. we brought him to emergency e.r vet at 5am and they kept him. we brought back blood work and xrays from previous vet and the alkp, ast and one other were high, and also the glucose was high. at that time they thought he had diabetes. said they would put him on insulin and keep him for a few days to make sure he was good. so we thought so big deal. that night about 7pm the vet called and said the insulin didnt work and she was going to do more blood work and call us back. she called back at about 930pm and said the ast levels were up to 2,000 (from 119) and not sure if he would make it through night. then they called again at 1245am saying he died. before all this he was in great shape, ran around, and was an awesome awesome dog. please give me some peace of mind and let me know if you have ever heard of anything like this and what it can be. I dont have any cash on my paypal account or i would have just paid to ask you a question, but if you can atleast respond to my email sometime, i will be more than happy to send money your way via paypal tomorrow after i get out of work. thank you very much,

kevin m.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I don't think anyone will ever know for sure what happened.

It sounds like he had extreme elevations in his liver enzymes. I'm wondering if he got into something toxic. One thing that can be very toxic to the liver is the sweetener xylitol. However, this usually causes low glucose, not high. Another toxin that I have seen do this is from eating mushrooms (i.e. the kind that you could find growing in your yard.)

Another possibility is severe pancreatitis. If the pancreas was inflamed it can cause the glucose level to go up and severe inflammation can block the bile duct which can cause the elevations in liver enzymes. Pancreatitis can be very serious and possibly fatal.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (15077 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6245 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10761 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (12063 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (9218 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (30484 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (23561 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (9312 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (27993 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9504 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.