Why did dog die?

Breed: lab/retriever
My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering if you have any input of why? Tuesday and wednesday he had thrown up once each day and then thursday my uncle brought him to our vet. The vet thought just upset stomach, gave some amoxicillin and metoclopramide to calm stomach, becuase the dog also wouldnt eat and was losing weight noticeably. friday came along and he wasnt getting any better, i stayed up with him all night and he threw up about 7-8 times and would go outside and not come back in. at this point he was very out of it, down, couldnt walk well and just looked terrible. we brought him to emergency e.r vet at 5am and they kept him. we brought back blood work and xrays from previous vet and the alkp, ast and one other were high, and also the glucose was high. at that time they thought he had diabetes. said they would put him on insulin and keep him for a few days to make sure he was good. so we thought so big deal. that night about 7pm the vet called and said the insulin didnt work and she was going to do more blood work and call us back. she called back at about 930pm and said the ast levels were up to 2,000 (from 119) and not sure if he would make it through night. then they called again at 1245am saying he died. before all this he was in great shape, ran around, and was an awesome awesome dog. please give me some peace of mind and let me know if you have ever heard of anything like this and what it can be. I dont have any cash on my paypal account or i would have just paid to ask you a question, but if you can atleast respond to my email sometime, i will be more than happy to send money your way via paypal tomorrow after i get out of work. thank you very much,

kevin m.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I don't think anyone will ever know for sure what happened.

It sounds like he had extreme elevations in his liver enzymes. I'm wondering if he got into something toxic. One thing that can be very toxic to the liver is the sweetener xylitol. However, this usually causes low glucose, not high. Another toxin that I have seen do this is from eating mushrooms (i.e. the kind that you could find growing in your yard.)

Another possibility is severe pancreatitis. If the pancreas was inflamed it can cause the glucose level to go up and severe inflammation can block the bile duct which can cause the elevations in liver enzymes. Pancreatitis can be very serious and possibly fatal.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (5336 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56095 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12809 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5102 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16668 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (38479 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17332 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16888 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (14137 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4724 views)