Sick after eating Iams ProHealth.

Breed: cat
My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now he won't eat. He's been very quiet and his heart is beating fast.

We just found out that the dry food has been recalled. the FDA listed the batch number as one of the recalled products.

Is there anything we can do the help Frodo now?

I'm sorry to hear that Frodo is not feeling well. If this food is one of the batches that is on the recall list then it is probably a good idea to have Frodo seen by his vet as soon as you can.

Most likely, once you have stopped the food he will be better in a very short time. However, Salmonella (which is the reason for the recall) can potentially be serious.

Salmonella tends to cause vomiting, diarrhea and inappetance. For now, I would obviously recommend that you don't feed any more of this batch of food and start a new bag. It is up to you whether you try a different brand or a non-affected bag of the same that he is on now.

The vet will report this to the FDA. Often where there is a recall, the food company will pay for your medical treatment but I can't say this for sure.

Keep your bag of food and bring it to the vet as they will want to record the batch number. There is a possibility that the FDA or IAMS will want the bag as well for testing.

Anytime a cat is not eating I don't like to wait too long before having him seen. If a cat goes too long without food they are at risk for a condition called fatty liver.

I hope Frodo is feeling better soon!

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (21098 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (5445 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (28808 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (7313 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (9189 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (9303 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (25803 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15670 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9615 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (41730 views)