Sick after eating Iams ProHealth.

Breed: cat
My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now he won't eat. He's been very quiet and his heart is beating fast.

We just found out that the dry food has been recalled. the FDA listed the batch number as one of the recalled products.

Is there anything we can do the help Frodo now?

I'm sorry to hear that Frodo is not feeling well. If this food is one of the batches that is on the recall list then it is probably a good idea to have Frodo seen by his vet as soon as you can.

Most likely, once you have stopped the food he will be better in a very short time. However, Salmonella (which is the reason for the recall) can potentially be serious.

Salmonella tends to cause vomiting, diarrhea and inappetance. For now, I would obviously recommend that you don't feed any more of this batch of food and start a new bag. It is up to you whether you try a different brand or a non-affected bag of the same that he is on now.

The vet will report this to the FDA. Often where there is a recall, the food company will pay for your medical treatment but I can't say this for sure.

Keep your bag of food and bring it to the vet as they will want to record the batch number. There is a possibility that the FDA or IAMS will want the bag as well for testing.

Anytime a cat is not eating I don't like to wait too long before having him seen. If a cat goes too long without food they are at risk for a condition called fatty liver.

I hope Frodo is feeling better soon!

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (9862 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6440 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6497 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4802 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (29958 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (23844 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (54621 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6898 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (19245 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (34597 views)