Sick after eating Iams ProHealth.

Breed: cat
My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now he won't eat. He's been very quiet and his heart is beating fast.

We just found out that the dry food has been recalled. the FDA listed the batch number as one of the recalled products.

Is there anything we can do the help Frodo now?

I'm sorry to hear that Frodo is not feeling well. If this food is one of the batches that is on the recall list then it is probably a good idea to have Frodo seen by his vet as soon as you can.

Most likely, once you have stopped the food he will be better in a very short time. However, Salmonella (which is the reason for the recall) can potentially be serious.

Salmonella tends to cause vomiting, diarrhea and inappetance. For now, I would obviously recommend that you don't feed any more of this batch of food and start a new bag. It is up to you whether you try a different brand or a non-affected bag of the same that he is on now.

The vet will report this to the FDA. Often where there is a recall, the food company will pay for your medical treatment but I can't say this for sure.

Keep your bag of food and bring it to the vet as they will want to record the batch number. There is a possibility that the FDA or IAMS will want the bag as well for testing.

Anytime a cat is not eating I don't like to wait too long before having him seen. If a cat goes too long without food they are at risk for a condition called fatty liver.

I hope Frodo is feeling better soon!

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (8705 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5059 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (7655 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (18217 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (15210 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (8802 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (22814 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (14566 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (26094 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7166 views)