Sick after eating Iams ProHealth.

Breed: cat
My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now he won't eat. He's been very quiet and his heart is beating fast.

We just found out that the dry food has been recalled. the FDA listed the batch number as one of the recalled products.

Is there anything we can do the help Frodo now?

I'm sorry to hear that Frodo is not feeling well. If this food is one of the batches that is on the recall list then it is probably a good idea to have Frodo seen by his vet as soon as you can.

Most likely, once you have stopped the food he will be better in a very short time. However, Salmonella (which is the reason for the recall) can potentially be serious.

Salmonella tends to cause vomiting, diarrhea and inappetance. For now, I would obviously recommend that you don't feed any more of this batch of food and start a new bag. It is up to you whether you try a different brand or a non-affected bag of the same that he is on now.

The vet will report this to the FDA. Often where there is a recall, the food company will pay for your medical treatment but I can't say this for sure.

Keep your bag of food and bring it to the vet as they will want to record the batch number. There is a possibility that the FDA or IAMS will want the bag as well for testing.

Anytime a cat is not eating I don't like to wait too long before having him seen. If a cat goes too long without food they are at risk for a condition called fatty liver.

I hope Frodo is feeling better soon!

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (31020 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9130 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (35557 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5879 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (21629 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20144 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (10378 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11934 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6124 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (14677 views)