Sick after eating Iams ProHealth.

Breed: cat
My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now he won't eat. He's been very quiet and his heart is beating fast.

We just found out that the dry food has been recalled. the FDA listed the batch number as one of the recalled products.

Is there anything we can do the help Frodo now?

I'm sorry to hear that Frodo is not feeling well. If this food is one of the batches that is on the recall list then it is probably a good idea to have Frodo seen by his vet as soon as you can.

Most likely, once you have stopped the food he will be better in a very short time. However, Salmonella (which is the reason for the recall) can potentially be serious.

Salmonella tends to cause vomiting, diarrhea and inappetance. For now, I would obviously recommend that you don't feed any more of this batch of food and start a new bag. It is up to you whether you try a different brand or a non-affected bag of the same that he is on now.

The vet will report this to the FDA. Often where there is a recall, the food company will pay for your medical treatment but I can't say this for sure.

Keep your bag of food and bring it to the vet as they will want to record the batch number. There is a possibility that the FDA or IAMS will want the bag as well for testing.

Anytime a cat is not eating I don't like to wait too long before having him seen. If a cat goes too long without food they are at risk for a condition called fatty liver.

I hope Frodo is feeling better soon!

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4738 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8022 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (162620 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14528 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6077 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (60815 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4646 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (31798 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (22604 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11320 views)