Are raisins toxic to cats?

Breed: domestic short hair

On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I was eating some raisins and he was sniffing them so I gave him one. He played with it and ate it and I thought it was so cute because he's usually not interested in people food at all, so I gave him a few more...maybe 5 raisins total. This happened again on Tuesday and today. I thought it was odd that he liked raisins so much being that the only other human food he's ever eaten were some frozen peas that I spilled all over the floor one time, so I did a google search for "cats and raisins" and was horrified to find that raisins may be toxic to cats. He ate about 5 or so raisins three days in a row. He doesn't seem be exhibiting any symptoms of kidney problems, but it's hard to monitor his litter box situation as there is another cat in the house and I'm at work during the day so I don't know which one is using the box/how often, etc. Money is tight (huge student loan bills each month) so I don't want to pay to take him in for testing if there's no need - but if I should be concerned, I would like to take him in as I don't want him to experience pain or suffering. He is an older cat (about 13) and I understand older cats are at an increased risk for kidney troubles in general...I just hope I haven't hurt him by letting him eat raisins! I love this cat so much and I feel so bad that I may have unknowingly poisoned him! Do you think approximately 5 raisins a day for 3 days is cause for alarm and/or do you think I can just keep an eye on him for any symptoms of a problem and go from there? So far, I have not observed any unusual behavior (lethargy,vomiting, etc.). I appreciate your time and this service!

I can't say that I have ever heard of a cat who actually liked raisins. Oliver has strange taste!

No one knows why raisins are toxic to some pets (or grapes for that matter). Many theories are out there but to this date we still don't know the culprit.

I usually get asked about whether or not raisins are toxic to dogs as dogs are more likely to eat raisins or grapes. What I tell people is that this type of toxicity is very uncommon. Many dogs can eat grapes and never have a problem and then there is the odd dog that can have serious kidney problems afterwards.

The same thing actually does apply to cats. I did some research for you and did find some case studies where cats had acute renal failure after eating raisins. Now, this does not mean that every cat who eats raisins will have kidney problems.

In an ideal world, it would be great to have Oliver's urine and blood tested for signs of kidney problems. But, if money is tight then, given that the chances are low of him having an issue, it is probably acceptable to monitor him for now. If you see any of the following over the next few days then I would take him in:

-vomiting
-lack of appetite
-extreme thirst
-flooding the litter box with urine
-extreme lethargy

I would be surprised if there is a problem here. But, if you see the above then I would not wait, but take him in right away. The treatment would be hospitalization with IV fluids. The good news is that if this was a kidney problem it is an acute problem as opposed to a chronic problem. Chronic kidney disease is what we worry about in older cats.

I hope that helps and I hope he is well!

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (7325 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19590 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10335 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (14400 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (13191 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6921 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17807 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4640 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (9208 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8806 views)