Vomiting and congested.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair
Got a new kitten
Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now started vomiting up small amounts of its food.
Over last 3 days has had a raspy meow. Prior to kittens arrival lots of meowing due to death of other cat. Lots of hissing since the new kitten has arrived - but this is decreasing.
New kitten had a runny eye when I first brought home(no longer)and then my older cat did also.
Now Scully is throwing up saliva in her mouth and vomiting a small amount of food on occation - this could just be combined with the saliva after she has eaten.
Maybe eating a little less than normal, water consumption good and normal bowl movements.
Very litte money to take to a vet if your advice is to take her - can u suggest an over the counter solution if you think she needs it. Thank you so much for your site.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear that your kitty is not well. Some of the symptoms you're describing sound like a regular upper respiratory tract infection. But vomiting is not usually associated with an upper respiratory tract infection. There are other viruses that can cause vomiting however.

If this is a virus, then there is a good possibility that Scully will get over this on her own. As long as she is still eating well then I am not terribly worried. However I would want to see the vet if we saw green eye discharge, green nose discharge, or a lack of appetite where she goes a whole day without eating, or with only eating a very tiny amount. If any of those things happen then definitely take her to see the vet.

I am however, worried a little bit about the vomiting. Anytime I see vomiting in a cat I wonder about the possibility of her swallowing something that she shouldn't have eaten. If there is more vomiting and it doesn't seem to be getting better than she does need to see the vet.

You mentioned that you had another cat who had recently died. Were the symptoms similar? If so I would wonder about some type of toxin. Perhaps there is something affecting the kidneys?

If Scully gets more congested, you can put her in a bathroom where you have run the shower so that the bathroom is all steamy. The steam will help him to clear her nose.

Hopefully this is just a mild upper respiratory virus. If this is the case then she should be better within a few days or it may take a couple of weeks to be a hundred percent better. The biggest thing to watch is her appetite. If that is really decreasing she needs to see the vet. However if she continues to vomit, even if she is still eating, she needs to see the vet as well.

I hope she is better soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (7928 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (9103 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (3582 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (5410 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (23133 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (17361 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (41174 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (9184 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (7767 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (13607 views)