Vomiting and congested.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair
Got a new kitten
Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now started vomiting up small amounts of its food.
Over last 3 days has had a raspy meow. Prior to kittens arrival lots of meowing due to death of other cat. Lots of hissing since the new kitten has arrived - but this is decreasing.
New kitten had a runny eye when I first brought home(no longer)and then my older cat did also.
Now Scully is throwing up saliva in her mouth and vomiting a small amount of food on occation - this could just be combined with the saliva after she has eaten.
Maybe eating a little less than normal, water consumption good and normal bowl movements.
Very litte money to take to a vet if your advice is to take her - can u suggest an over the counter solution if you think she needs it. Thank you so much for your site.

Sorry to hear that your kitty is not well. Some of the symptoms you're describing sound like a regular upper respiratory tract infection. But vomiting is not usually associated with an upper respiratory tract infection. There are other viruses that can cause vomiting however.

If this is a virus, then there is a good possibility that Scully will get over this on her own. As long as she is still eating well then I am not terribly worried. However I would want to see the vet if we saw green eye discharge, green nose discharge, or a lack of appetite where she goes a whole day without eating, or with only eating a very tiny amount. If any of those things happen then definitely take her to see the vet.

I am however, worried a little bit about the vomiting. Anytime I see vomiting in a cat I wonder about the possibility of her swallowing something that she shouldn't have eaten. If there is more vomiting and it doesn't seem to be getting better than she does need to see the vet.

You mentioned that you had another cat who had recently died. Were the symptoms similar? If so I would wonder about some type of toxin. Perhaps there is something affecting the kidneys?

If Scully gets more congested, you can put her in a bathroom where you have run the shower so that the bathroom is all steamy. The steam will help him to clear her nose.

Hopefully this is just a mild upper respiratory virus. If this is the case then she should be better within a few days or it may take a couple of weeks to be a hundred percent better. The biggest thing to watch is her appetite. If that is really decreasing she needs to see the vet. However if she continues to vomit, even if she is still eating, she needs to see the vet as well.

I hope she is better soon!

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (12552 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (7948 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (6176 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (3859 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (40774 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (15652 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (33723 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (3870 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (6195 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (4898 views)