Vomiting and congested.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair
Got a new kitten
Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now started vomiting up small amounts of its food.
Over last 3 days has had a raspy meow. Prior to kittens arrival lots of meowing due to death of other cat. Lots of hissing since the new kitten has arrived - but this is decreasing.
New kitten had a runny eye when I first brought home(no longer)and then my older cat did also.
Now Scully is throwing up saliva in her mouth and vomiting a small amount of food on occation - this could just be combined with the saliva after she has eaten.
Maybe eating a little less than normal, water consumption good and normal bowl movements.
Very litte money to take to a vet if your advice is to take her - can u suggest an over the counter solution if you think she needs it. Thank you so much for your site.

Sorry to hear that your kitty is not well. Some of the symptoms you're describing sound like a regular upper respiratory tract infection. But vomiting is not usually associated with an upper respiratory tract infection. There are other viruses that can cause vomiting however.

If this is a virus, then there is a good possibility that Scully will get over this on her own. As long as she is still eating well then I am not terribly worried. However I would want to see the vet if we saw green eye discharge, green nose discharge, or a lack of appetite where she goes a whole day without eating, or with only eating a very tiny amount. If any of those things happen then definitely take her to see the vet.

I am however, worried a little bit about the vomiting. Anytime I see vomiting in a cat I wonder about the possibility of her swallowing something that she shouldn't have eaten. If there is more vomiting and it doesn't seem to be getting better than she does need to see the vet.

You mentioned that you had another cat who had recently died. Were the symptoms similar? If so I would wonder about some type of toxin. Perhaps there is something affecting the kidneys?

If Scully gets more congested, you can put her in a bathroom where you have run the shower so that the bathroom is all steamy. The steam will help him to clear her nose.

Hopefully this is just a mild upper respiratory virus. If this is the case then she should be better within a few days or it may take a couple of weeks to be a hundred percent better. The biggest thing to watch is her appetite. If that is really decreasing she needs to see the vet. However if she continues to vomit, even if she is still eating, she needs to see the vet as well.

I hope she is better soon!

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (5491 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (11152 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (8144 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (13118 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (59959 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (8180 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (7601 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (8754 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (4570 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (8903 views)