Clindamycin overdose?

Breed: Shorthair
I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off after being exposed to a cat with a respiratory thing. (That cat is now fine.) Sox started sounding a bit "snotty". I could not catch her to take her in for an exam. I started putting 50mg of Clindamycin in her food once per day. Someone later told me that they observed her being a little lethargic after starting the meds. About 7 hours after eating her 6th dose of the meds in food, she was found dead. I am horrified to think that I caused this cat to die from an allergy to Clindamycin. Does this sound like death by allergy? I was not able to observe if she had vomiting or diarrhea on the meds because she lived wild. She was spayed about a year ago and given the usual vaccines, including having a leukemia test and vaccine, though no booster vaccine for this. Does this sound like death from a medication allergy? Thanks.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sox passed away. We will likely never know what the cause was. But the question that you want answered is whether or not the clindamycin could have contributed to her death.

the dosage of Clindamycin sounds appropriate so I think that it was unlikely that you overdosed her. Clindamycin overdose is not common at all. It is a relatively safe drug.

Clindamycin can cause a problem in an animal's esophagus if a pill is dry swallowed. However, if you gave it in food, that's not likely what happened.

With feral cats, there can be a number of underlying issues. It is good that Sox was vaccinated for feline leukemia but it's possible there was another virus there such as FIV or FIP that caused her immune system to not be able to handle the respiratory virus well. It's also possible that she had an infection somewhere that was not treatable by clindamycin.

While we won't know what caused her death, I can say that it is extremely unlikely to be because of anything you did.

Aside from overdose, does it seem at all likely that she had an allergy to the Clindamycin or a reaction such as nausea and/or vomiting that could have killed her within a few hours after the sixth dose? Thanks.

I really think that it is almost impossible that the Clindamycin caused her death.

Thank you for your reply.

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (7301 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (8408 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9999 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4799 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (10331 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (90445 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (14914 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5670 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15996 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12845 views)