Clindamycin overdose?

Breed: Shorthair
I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off after being exposed to a cat with a respiratory thing. (That cat is now fine.) Sox started sounding a bit "snotty". I could not catch her to take her in for an exam. I started putting 50mg of Clindamycin in her food once per day. Someone later told me that they observed her being a little lethargic after starting the meds. About 7 hours after eating her 6th dose of the meds in food, she was found dead. I am horrified to think that I caused this cat to die from an allergy to Clindamycin. Does this sound like death by allergy? I was not able to observe if she had vomiting or diarrhea on the meds because she lived wild. She was spayed about a year ago and given the usual vaccines, including having a leukemia test and vaccine, though no booster vaccine for this. Does this sound like death from a medication allergy? Thanks.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sox passed away. We will likely never know what the cause was. But the question that you want answered is whether or not the clindamycin could have contributed to her death.

the dosage of Clindamycin sounds appropriate so I think that it was unlikely that you overdosed her. Clindamycin overdose is not common at all. It is a relatively safe drug.

Clindamycin can cause a problem in an animal's esophagus if a pill is dry swallowed. However, if you gave it in food, that's not likely what happened.

With feral cats, there can be a number of underlying issues. It is good that Sox was vaccinated for feline leukemia but it's possible there was another virus there such as FIV or FIP that caused her immune system to not be able to handle the respiratory virus well. It's also possible that she had an infection somewhere that was not treatable by clindamycin.

While we won't know what caused her death, I can say that it is extremely unlikely to be because of anything you did.

Aside from overdose, does it seem at all likely that she had an allergy to the Clindamycin or a reaction such as nausea and/or vomiting that could have killed her within a few hours after the sixth dose? Thanks.

I really think that it is almost impossible that the Clindamycin caused her death.

Thank you for your reply.

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (20113 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (10235 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (16029 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (31405 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (9109 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (188504 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (9560 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (26017 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (8472 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (26256 views)