Clindamycin overdose?

Breed: Shorthair
I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off after being exposed to a cat with a respiratory thing. (That cat is now fine.) Sox started sounding a bit "snotty". I could not catch her to take her in for an exam. I started putting 50mg of Clindamycin in her food once per day. Someone later told me that they observed her being a little lethargic after starting the meds. About 7 hours after eating her 6th dose of the meds in food, she was found dead. I am horrified to think that I caused this cat to die from an allergy to Clindamycin. Does this sound like death by allergy? I was not able to observe if she had vomiting or diarrhea on the meds because she lived wild. She was spayed about a year ago and given the usual vaccines, including having a leukemia test and vaccine, though no booster vaccine for this. Does this sound like death from a medication allergy? Thanks.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sox passed away. We will likely never know what the cause was. But the question that you want answered is whether or not the clindamycin could have contributed to her death.

the dosage of Clindamycin sounds appropriate so I think that it was unlikely that you overdosed her. Clindamycin overdose is not common at all. It is a relatively safe drug.

Clindamycin can cause a problem in an animal's esophagus if a pill is dry swallowed. However, if you gave it in food, that's not likely what happened.

With feral cats, there can be a number of underlying issues. It is good that Sox was vaccinated for feline leukemia but it's possible there was another virus there such as FIV or FIP that caused her immune system to not be able to handle the respiratory virus well. It's also possible that she had an infection somewhere that was not treatable by clindamycin.

While we won't know what caused her death, I can say that it is extremely unlikely to be because of anything you did.

Aside from overdose, does it seem at all likely that she had an allergy to the Clindamycin or a reaction such as nausea and/or vomiting that could have killed her within a few hours after the sixth dose? Thanks.

I really think that it is almost impossible that the Clindamycin caused her death.

Thank you for your reply.

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (28070 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (26771 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8594 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (13361 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8933 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (9760 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (27436 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (10736 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (11374 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10877 views)