Bloody diarrhea.

Breed: corgi/jackrussel
Hi Marie
its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i found you so THANKS

Q I found blood in my dogs poo 2x. Th 1st time it was hard poo the 2nd time it was diarrhea. Its been about 5 days. Lucas has had diarrhea before but not like this. The Diarrhea itself isn't that crazy its more his poo habits. He is defiantly not going regularly, he is leaking and sits when i say "go poo poo" rather then trying to poo. He has also vomited yellow on 3 separate occasions. Not lo long ago he was licking and biting around his butt area to the point of bleeding and it appeared swollen and redder. I put a cone on and changed his food back to an old food he used to eat. That seemed to work I thought it was allergy's or he needed his anal glands expressed (its been over 2 years since the last time we got that done)but as soon as i changed the food it stopped. The other day he got into some raw pet food so i thought maybe that was causing the diarrhea however the blood in poo happened before that. i am now wondering if its a combo of all of the above or what. Also he had chicken bones the day before the blood first happened but he always eats that.... He is not lethargic at all: i gave him a pat down and pressed around his bladder but and belly area to see if he was bothered" he wasn't,hes been running with me everyday his breath doesn't smell like he has sour tummy.... I'm worried not sure if he needs to express anal glands or what. I'm also not a fan of going to the vet and spending $60 on a 10 min visit where they answer 1 question and make me pay for a follow up visit to ask another related one... What should i do? I just took him out and now he is crying at the door to go out again...

Sorry to hear that Lucas is having some problems.

From what you're saying it sounds like the problem this time is with diarrhea rather than anal glands. (But if you are seeing any swelling on either side of his anus this time, it certainly is possible - but anal gland problems don't usually cause diarrhea.)

I normally don't get too concerned about blood in a dog's stool unless the dog is acting really ill. If a little dog has lots of bloody stool and is extremely lethargic there can be a serious problem. However, as Lucas is still very bright there is a good chance that this is nothing urgent.

It only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon of a dog to cause bleeding. Often any type of new or unusual food can cause inflammation. I think you've guessed it right when you said that the combination of the raw food and the chicken bones could be causing the issue.

It's also possible that he's got a bacterial infection from eating the raw food. But, again, he should be quite tired and lethargic if this was the case.

It's also possible that he has an obstruction or perforation from the chicken bones, but he sounds too bright for this.

If you feel that he is bright and his only issue right now is diarrhea with a little bit of blood then I think the best plan is to give him a 24 hour period with no food followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice.

If the symptoms are getting worse, then I would definitely take him to see the vet.

I hope all is well!

I'm not sure what you mean by bright? and if there is an obstruction or perforation to those things ever pass/heal on there own? THANKS SOOOO MUCH I am going to tell all my clients about your speedy service. I run a pet care company in NYC =)

You're very welcome, and thanks for spreading the word about my site!

You mentioned in your question that he wasn't lethargic and that he's running with you every day, so, to me that means that he is bright (as in bright and alert and happy).

An obstruction or a perforation would be a pretty serious thing and wouldn't get better on it's own. You would notice him getting sicker and sicker and definitely being lethargic if he had either of those.

PHEW! OK great! Once my new site goes up and I begin my social media campaign I'm reccomending you! www.thefitpup.com Thanks !

Woof woof (from Lucas)

Hey that's great! Once you get your site going let me know. I'd love to see it!

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (6772 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (28524 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (13109 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (12525 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (23895 views)

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (11682 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (4172 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (4462 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (62961 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (5639 views)