Hair loss on a boxer.

Breed: Mixed - boxer and ho
I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've noticed that her hair is thinning on her sides and in some spots there are scabs, sores. She does not scratch excessively, but I noticed when I bathed her recently the affected areas dried quickly and turned white. She is warm brown in color and I can see her skin in the affected areas. It looks slightly red and irritated. Although the thinning is localized to the sides of her body. Her overall hair is looking thin all over. Her hair is fine in texture and is short. I've already had her thyroid checked and test results came back normal. A local vet recommended putting her on Benadryl. She has also not been spayed yet, which the vet said could impact her hormone levels and thus prompt hair loss. I wanted a second opinion. Kizzie is a house dog and not around many other animals. I'm looking for recommendations on how to best treat her condition and prevent the condition from spreading.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Sincerely,

Tajuana and Kizzie

Hi and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to answer skin questions online but may be able to help.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called either "boxer alopecia" or "seasonal alopecia".

There is the occasional dog (more commonly boxers) who can get hair loss on either side of their body. While there usually aren't any scabs or sores, I have seen some dogs with this condition that end up scratching themselves and the skin seems to flake off or get injured easily.

If this is boxer alopecia it usually goes away on its own within a few months, but it may come back again next year. Some vets treat this with melatonin but it is controversial whether the melatonin works or not.

If this is not boxer alopecia then you may want to ask your vet about taking a skin biopsy. Any time we have an unusual skin condition this is the best way to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (23180 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (55229 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (17874 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (8891 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (24455 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (14528 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8508 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12238 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32091 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (44793 views)