Hair loss on a boxer.

Breed: Mixed - boxer and ho
I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've noticed that her hair is thinning on her sides and in some spots there are scabs, sores. She does not scratch excessively, but I noticed when I bathed her recently the affected areas dried quickly and turned white. She is warm brown in color and I can see her skin in the affected areas. It looks slightly red and irritated. Although the thinning is localized to the sides of her body. Her overall hair is looking thin all over. Her hair is fine in texture and is short. I've already had her thyroid checked and test results came back normal. A local vet recommended putting her on Benadryl. She has also not been spayed yet, which the vet said could impact her hormone levels and thus prompt hair loss. I wanted a second opinion. Kizzie is a house dog and not around many other animals. I'm looking for recommendations on how to best treat her condition and prevent the condition from spreading.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Sincerely,

Tajuana and Kizzie

Hi and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to answer skin questions online but may be able to help.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called either "boxer alopecia" or "seasonal alopecia".

There is the occasional dog (more commonly boxers) who can get hair loss on either side of their body. While there usually aren't any scabs or sores, I have seen some dogs with this condition that end up scratching themselves and the skin seems to flake off or get injured easily.

If this is boxer alopecia it usually goes away on its own within a few months, but it may come back again next year. Some vets treat this with melatonin but it is controversial whether the melatonin works or not.

If this is not boxer alopecia then you may want to ask your vet about taking a skin biopsy. Any time we have an unusual skin condition this is the best way to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9780 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7803 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5148 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4997 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6307 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7794 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16446 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5875 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (27297 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4886 views)