Hair loss on a boxer.

Breed: Mixed - boxer and ho
I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've noticed that her hair is thinning on her sides and in some spots there are scabs, sores. She does not scratch excessively, but I noticed when I bathed her recently the affected areas dried quickly and turned white. She is warm brown in color and I can see her skin in the affected areas. It looks slightly red and irritated. Although the thinning is localized to the sides of her body. Her overall hair is looking thin all over. Her hair is fine in texture and is short. I've already had her thyroid checked and test results came back normal. A local vet recommended putting her on Benadryl. She has also not been spayed yet, which the vet said could impact her hormone levels and thus prompt hair loss. I wanted a second opinion. Kizzie is a house dog and not around many other animals. I'm looking for recommendations on how to best treat her condition and prevent the condition from spreading.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Sincerely,

Tajuana and Kizzie

Hi and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to answer skin questions online but may be able to help.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called either "boxer alopecia" or "seasonal alopecia".

There is the occasional dog (more commonly boxers) who can get hair loss on either side of their body. While there usually aren't any scabs or sores, I have seen some dogs with this condition that end up scratching themselves and the skin seems to flake off or get injured easily.

If this is boxer alopecia it usually goes away on its own within a few months, but it may come back again next year. Some vets treat this with melatonin but it is controversial whether the melatonin works or not.

If this is not boxer alopecia then you may want to ask your vet about taking a skin biopsy. Any time we have an unusual skin condition this is the best way to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (12950 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (142136 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (10676 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (14116 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (6655 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (16287 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (12945 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (9964 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (5841 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (12508 views)