Hair loss on a boxer.

Breed: Mixed - boxer and ho
I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've noticed that her hair is thinning on her sides and in some spots there are scabs, sores. She does not scratch excessively, but I noticed when I bathed her recently the affected areas dried quickly and turned white. She is warm brown in color and I can see her skin in the affected areas. It looks slightly red and irritated. Although the thinning is localized to the sides of her body. Her overall hair is looking thin all over. Her hair is fine in texture and is short. I've already had her thyroid checked and test results came back normal. A local vet recommended putting her on Benadryl. She has also not been spayed yet, which the vet said could impact her hormone levels and thus prompt hair loss. I wanted a second opinion. Kizzie is a house dog and not around many other animals. I'm looking for recommendations on how to best treat her condition and prevent the condition from spreading.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Sincerely,

Tajuana and Kizzie

Hi and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to answer skin questions online but may be able to help.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called either "boxer alopecia" or "seasonal alopecia".

There is the occasional dog (more commonly boxers) who can get hair loss on either side of their body. While there usually aren't any scabs or sores, I have seen some dogs with this condition that end up scratching themselves and the skin seems to flake off or get injured easily.

If this is boxer alopecia it usually goes away on its own within a few months, but it may come back again next year. Some vets treat this with melatonin but it is controversial whether the melatonin works or not.

If this is not boxer alopecia then you may want to ask your vet about taking a skin biopsy. Any time we have an unusual skin condition this is the best way to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (19662 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (24315 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (7070 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (7541 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (54600 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (12083 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (12412 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (12949 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (6309 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (22377 views)