Hair loss on a boxer.

Breed: Mixed - boxer and ho
I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've noticed that her hair is thinning on her sides and in some spots there are scabs, sores. She does not scratch excessively, but I noticed when I bathed her recently the affected areas dried quickly and turned white. She is warm brown in color and I can see her skin in the affected areas. It looks slightly red and irritated. Although the thinning is localized to the sides of her body. Her overall hair is looking thin all over. Her hair is fine in texture and is short. I've already had her thyroid checked and test results came back normal. A local vet recommended putting her on Benadryl. She has also not been spayed yet, which the vet said could impact her hormone levels and thus prompt hair loss. I wanted a second opinion. Kizzie is a house dog and not around many other animals. I'm looking for recommendations on how to best treat her condition and prevent the condition from spreading.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Sincerely,

Tajuana and Kizzie

Hi and thanks for your question!

It's always hard to answer skin questions online but may be able to help.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of something called either "boxer alopecia" or "seasonal alopecia".

There is the occasional dog (more commonly boxers) who can get hair loss on either side of their body. While there usually aren't any scabs or sores, I have seen some dogs with this condition that end up scratching themselves and the skin seems to flake off or get injured easily.

If this is boxer alopecia it usually goes away on its own within a few months, but it may come back again next year. Some vets treat this with melatonin but it is controversial whether the melatonin works or not.

If this is not boxer alopecia then you may want to ask your vet about taking a skin biopsy. Any time we have an unusual skin condition this is the best way to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (8097 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (17742 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16254 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5566 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (58511 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5883 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7936 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4903 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5495 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (28682 views)