How to get cat to lose weight?

Breed: domestic shorthair.
Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my question is how do we get her down to a healthy weight. We have been feeding science diet canned food (history of stones that were surgically removed) so she gets more fluid and at the calorie level she should get. On the weekend they get dry food that they love, same brand. We recently moved into a place with stairs and have a big cat tower. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your question. This is definitely a tough problem that a lot of people face! I see so many cats who are overweight.

Your problem is made even more difficult by the fact that Cinder is on a special type of food for urinary issues. I usually have had relatively good success with putting overweight cats on a special food such as Royal Canin Calorie Control. You may want to ask your vet if this food would be ok considering Cinder's previous urinary issues.

Ultimately weight loss in cats is the same as in people...you've got to burn more calories than you eat. So here are a few tips:

-Make sure you are measuring out how much food she gets and not "eyeballing" it.
-Try cutting down her food by 10%. If she is not acting extremely hungry then after a week or so cut it down even more.
-Avoid treats of any kind. If you need to use treats then use her own food as treats and give her that much less food during meal time.
-Try placing her food in several dishes all around the house so she has to move around to get it. This works even better if you have stairs she needs to go up and down.
-You can try using a feeding ball or other such treat toys such as a tricky treat ball, but not all cats use this.
-Encourage exercise by using something like a cat dancer toy or laser pointer. Every bit of exercise helps.

And remember it is a slow process to get a cat to lose weight. If she can drop a pound in a year this is good.

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9441 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8662 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5522 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (21513 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (21204 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5929 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (14676 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (88301 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (9035 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15735 views)