How to get cat to lose weight?

Breed: domestic shorthair.
Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my question is how do we get her down to a healthy weight. We have been feeding science diet canned food (history of stones that were surgically removed) so she gets more fluid and at the calorie level she should get. On the weekend they get dry food that they love, same brand. We recently moved into a place with stairs and have a big cat tower. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your question. This is definitely a tough problem that a lot of people face! I see so many cats who are overweight.

Your problem is made even more difficult by the fact that Cinder is on a special type of food for urinary issues. I usually have had relatively good success with putting overweight cats on a special food such as Royal Canin Calorie Control. You may want to ask your vet if this food would be ok considering Cinder's previous urinary issues.

Ultimately weight loss in cats is the same as in people...you've got to burn more calories than you eat. So here are a few tips:

-Make sure you are measuring out how much food she gets and not "eyeballing" it.
-Try cutting down her food by 10%. If she is not acting extremely hungry then after a week or so cut it down even more.
-Avoid treats of any kind. If you need to use treats then use her own food as treats and give her that much less food during meal time.
-Try placing her food in several dishes all around the house so she has to move around to get it. This works even better if you have stairs she needs to go up and down.
-You can try using a feeding ball or other such treat toys such as a tricky treat ball, but not all cats use this.
-Encourage exercise by using something like a cat dancer toy or laser pointer. Every bit of exercise helps.

And remember it is a slow process to get a cat to lose weight. If she can drop a pound in a year this is good.

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (45803 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (22301 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (12386 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (19374 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (43481 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (15237 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (11358 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5332 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (5843 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (12983 views)