How to get cat to lose weight?

Breed: domestic shorthair.
Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my question is how do we get her down to a healthy weight. We have been feeding science diet canned food (history of stones that were surgically removed) so she gets more fluid and at the calorie level she should get. On the weekend they get dry food that they love, same brand. We recently moved into a place with stairs and have a big cat tower. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your question. This is definitely a tough problem that a lot of people face! I see so many cats who are overweight.

Your problem is made even more difficult by the fact that Cinder is on a special type of food for urinary issues. I usually have had relatively good success with putting overweight cats on a special food such as Royal Canin Calorie Control. You may want to ask your vet if this food would be ok considering Cinder's previous urinary issues.

Ultimately weight loss in cats is the same as in people...you've got to burn more calories than you eat. So here are a few tips:

-Make sure you are measuring out how much food she gets and not "eyeballing" it.
-Try cutting down her food by 10%. If she is not acting extremely hungry then after a week or so cut it down even more.
-Avoid treats of any kind. If you need to use treats then use her own food as treats and give her that much less food during meal time.
-Try placing her food in several dishes all around the house so she has to move around to get it. This works even better if you have stairs she needs to go up and down.
-You can try using a feeding ball or other such treat toys such as a tricky treat ball, but not all cats use this.
-Encourage exercise by using something like a cat dancer toy or laser pointer. Every bit of exercise helps.

And remember it is a slow process to get a cat to lose weight. If she can drop a pound in a year this is good.

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (8719 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (16645 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (10898 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (7774 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (34585 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (10054 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (83570 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (13794 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (11856 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (34961 views)