Dog ate fertilizer.

Breed: Border Collie Mix

Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. I found out about it at 6:00. On the advice of my veterinarian, I gave him 2 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Jake finally vomited, at 8:15. My vet told me it might happen immediately or within a half hour of giving him the hydro peroxide. Is this a sign of poisoning or has the hydrogen peroxide just taken longer to work?

Thank you for your advice.

Barbara Hatfield

Hi Barbara. If peroxide is going to work, it is usually within 5 minutes. I would guess that the fertilizer is causing some stomach upset.

Can you give me some more details about what the seed/fertilizer product is and I can see if I can determine how worried you should be?

It contains the following:

Fertilize Analysis'5% Nitrogen
5% Phosphate
5% Soluble Potash
------------------------
73% Mulch
17% Fertilzer

OK. I did a little research for you. Most regular lawn fertilizers are not terribly toxic to dogs. What that means is that they can cause some stomach upset, but they are not likely to cause serious problems.

The nitrogen can really be irritating to the stomach. If a large amount was eaten then I would be a little worried about Jake developing a stomach ulcer.

At this point it's probably ok to just keep an eye on Jake. An over the counter medicine which is safe to give and may help to settle his stomach is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). A dog Jake's size (25lbs) can have 1/2 a tablet (i.e. 5mg) once every 12 hours.

Here are some signs that would make me more concerned and would make me want to take him to the emergency vet:

• If you are seeing black flecks in the vomit. This can be a sign of a stomach ulcer.

• Similarly, if you are seeing black, tarry stools.

• If he vomits several more times tonight.

• If he doesn't want to eat in the morning.

• If your gut is just telling you that something is not right.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you very much for the information. My husband is so in the dog house for not reading the warnings on the bag. I will keep Jake under observation.

Best Regards,

Barbara and Jake Hatfield

You're very welcome! I'm sure he will be fine! The dog, that is... we'll see about your husband. :)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (21550 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (14469 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (13419 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (17849 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (13652 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (179131 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (12217 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (8391 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (12473 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (17006 views)