Dog ate fertilizer.

Breed: Border Collie Mix

Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. I found out about it at 6:00. On the advice of my veterinarian, I gave him 2 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Jake finally vomited, at 8:15. My vet told me it might happen immediately or within a half hour of giving him the hydro peroxide. Is this a sign of poisoning or has the hydrogen peroxide just taken longer to work?

Thank you for your advice.

Barbara Hatfield

Hi Barbara. If peroxide is going to work, it is usually within 5 minutes. I would guess that the fertilizer is causing some stomach upset.

Can you give me some more details about what the seed/fertilizer product is and I can see if I can determine how worried you should be?

It contains the following:

Fertilize Analysis'5% Nitrogen
5% Phosphate
5% Soluble Potash
------------------------
73% Mulch
17% Fertilzer

OK. I did a little research for you. Most regular lawn fertilizers are not terribly toxic to dogs. What that means is that they can cause some stomach upset, but they are not likely to cause serious problems.

The nitrogen can really be irritating to the stomach. If a large amount was eaten then I would be a little worried about Jake developing a stomach ulcer.

At this point it's probably ok to just keep an eye on Jake. An over the counter medicine which is safe to give and may help to settle his stomach is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). A dog Jake's size (25lbs) can have 1/2 a tablet (i.e. 5mg) once every 12 hours.

Here are some signs that would make me more concerned and would make me want to take him to the emergency vet:

• If you are seeing black flecks in the vomit. This can be a sign of a stomach ulcer.

• Similarly, if you are seeing black, tarry stools.

• If he vomits several more times tonight.

• If he doesn't want to eat in the morning.

• If your gut is just telling you that something is not right.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you very much for the information. My husband is so in the dog house for not reading the warnings on the bag. I will keep Jake under observation.

Best Regards,

Barbara and Jake Hatfield

You're very welcome! I'm sure he will be fine! The dog, that is... we'll see about your husband. :)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (161799 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (8692 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (30316 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (10796 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (39157 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (10222 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (10210 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (16285 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9417 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (10802 views)