Dog ate fertilizer.

Breed: Border Collie Mix

Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. I found out about it at 6:00. On the advice of my veterinarian, I gave him 2 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Jake finally vomited, at 8:15. My vet told me it might happen immediately or within a half hour of giving him the hydro peroxide. Is this a sign of poisoning or has the hydrogen peroxide just taken longer to work?

Thank you for your advice.

Barbara Hatfield

Hi Barbara. If peroxide is going to work, it is usually within 5 minutes. I would guess that the fertilizer is causing some stomach upset.

Can you give me some more details about what the seed/fertilizer product is and I can see if I can determine how worried you should be?

It contains the following:

Fertilize Analysis'5% Nitrogen
5% Phosphate
5% Soluble Potash
------------------------
73% Mulch
17% Fertilzer

OK. I did a little research for you. Most regular lawn fertilizers are not terribly toxic to dogs. What that means is that they can cause some stomach upset, but they are not likely to cause serious problems.

The nitrogen can really be irritating to the stomach. If a large amount was eaten then I would be a little worried about Jake developing a stomach ulcer.

At this point it's probably ok to just keep an eye on Jake. An over the counter medicine which is safe to give and may help to settle his stomach is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). A dog Jake's size (25lbs) can have 1/2 a tablet (i.e. 5mg) once every 12 hours.

Here are some signs that would make me more concerned and would make me want to take him to the emergency vet:

• If you are seeing black flecks in the vomit. This can be a sign of a stomach ulcer.

• Similarly, if you are seeing black, tarry stools.

• If he vomits several more times tonight.

• If he doesn't want to eat in the morning.

• If your gut is just telling you that something is not right.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you very much for the information. My husband is so in the dog house for not reading the warnings on the bag. I will keep Jake under observation.

Best Regards,

Barbara and Jake Hatfield

You're very welcome! I'm sure he will be fine! The dog, that is... we'll see about your husband. :)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5744 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (34179 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (119610 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11306 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (537113 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17716 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8827 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9681 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19474 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13794 views)