Dog ate fertilizer.

Breed: Border Collie Mix

Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. I found out about it at 6:00. On the advice of my veterinarian, I gave him 2 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Jake finally vomited, at 8:15. My vet told me it might happen immediately or within a half hour of giving him the hydro peroxide. Is this a sign of poisoning or has the hydrogen peroxide just taken longer to work?

Thank you for your advice.

Barbara Hatfield

Hi Barbara. If peroxide is going to work, it is usually within 5 minutes. I would guess that the fertilizer is causing some stomach upset.

Can you give me some more details about what the seed/fertilizer product is and I can see if I can determine how worried you should be?

It contains the following:

Fertilize Analysis'5% Nitrogen
5% Phosphate
5% Soluble Potash
------------------------
73% Mulch
17% Fertilzer

OK. I did a little research for you. Most regular lawn fertilizers are not terribly toxic to dogs. What that means is that they can cause some stomach upset, but they are not likely to cause serious problems.

The nitrogen can really be irritating to the stomach. If a large amount was eaten then I would be a little worried about Jake developing a stomach ulcer.

At this point it's probably ok to just keep an eye on Jake. An over the counter medicine which is safe to give and may help to settle his stomach is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). A dog Jake's size (25lbs) can have 1/2 a tablet (i.e. 5mg) once every 12 hours.

Here are some signs that would make me more concerned and would make me want to take him to the emergency vet:

• If you are seeing black flecks in the vomit. This can be a sign of a stomach ulcer.

• Similarly, if you are seeing black, tarry stools.

• If he vomits several more times tonight.

• If he doesn't want to eat in the morning.

• If your gut is just telling you that something is not right.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you very much for the information. My husband is so in the dog house for not reading the warnings on the bag. I will keep Jake under observation.

Best Regards,

Barbara and Jake Hatfield

You're very welcome! I'm sure he will be fine! The dog, that is... we'll see about your husband. :)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (35860 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (9955 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15117 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19043 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16106 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4780 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14238 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (6952 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (22219 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (60157 views)