Dog ate fertilizer.

Breed: Border Collie Mix

Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass seed/fertilizer product about 5 hours ago at approx.3:00. I found out about it at 6:00. On the advice of my veterinarian, I gave him 2 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Jake finally vomited, at 8:15. My vet told me it might happen immediately or within a half hour of giving him the hydro peroxide. Is this a sign of poisoning or has the hydrogen peroxide just taken longer to work?

Thank you for your advice.

Barbara Hatfield

Hi Barbara. If peroxide is going to work, it is usually within 5 minutes. I would guess that the fertilizer is causing some stomach upset.

Can you give me some more details about what the seed/fertilizer product is and I can see if I can determine how worried you should be?

It contains the following:

Fertilize Analysis'5% Nitrogen
5% Phosphate
5% Soluble Potash
------------------------
73% Mulch
17% Fertilzer

OK. I did a little research for you. Most regular lawn fertilizers are not terribly toxic to dogs. What that means is that they can cause some stomach upset, but they are not likely to cause serious problems.

The nitrogen can really be irritating to the stomach. If a large amount was eaten then I would be a little worried about Jake developing a stomach ulcer.

At this point it's probably ok to just keep an eye on Jake. An over the counter medicine which is safe to give and may help to settle his stomach is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). A dog Jake's size (25lbs) can have 1/2 a tablet (i.e. 5mg) once every 12 hours.

Here are some signs that would make me more concerned and would make me want to take him to the emergency vet:

• If you are seeing black flecks in the vomit. This can be a sign of a stomach ulcer.

• Similarly, if you are seeing black, tarry stools.

• If he vomits several more times tonight.

• If he doesn't want to eat in the morning.

• If your gut is just telling you that something is not right.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you very much for the information. My husband is so in the dog house for not reading the warnings on the bag. I will keep Jake under observation.

Best Regards,

Barbara and Jake Hatfield

You're very welcome! I'm sure he will be fine! The dog, that is... we'll see about your husband. :)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (7202 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (14796 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (108995 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (12600 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (16193 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (87871 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (13535 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (15809 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (19190 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (8837 views)