Artificial sweetener ingestion.

Breed: Border Collie
This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and came home about 3 to 4 hours later. When I got home, I noticed that my dog had licked the inside of the wrapper (which contained "diet" chocolate). She couldn't have gotten much, but I am concerned that the artificial sweeteners in the chocolate might be harmful to her. She's acting fine, but I'm not sure how long it's been since she ingested the chocolate. Should I be worried?

Here is a list of the ingredients in the bar:
Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Oat Flour, Calcium Carbonate), Glycerine, Polydextrose, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Chocolate Chips [Maltitol, Chocolate Liquor (Processed With Alkali), Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract], Rolled Oats, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Sunflower Oil, Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Soy Nuts, Roasted Almonds, Coconut, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Whole Milk Powder, Cellulose, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium and Vitamin Mineral Mix (Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, D-l Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Biotin, D-calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Folic Acid, Chromium Chelate, Phytonadione, Sodium Selenite).

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Thanks for your question.

Most artificial sweeteners are totally safe for dogs. Some of them can cause some mild stomach upset (i.e. possibly a small amount of diarrhea).

The main concern though is a sweetener called Xylitol. This can be very toxic to a dog's liver. It looks like the sweetener in this bar is Malitol and sucralose. Neither of these are going to cause problems.

The small amount of chocolate in the bar is very unlikely to cause problems.

If just a little bit was licked then I wouldn't be worried at all. If your dog had eaten the whole bar I would expect some diarrhea though.

You may find these links interesting:

What foods are toxic for dogs?

Chocolate toxicity calculator for dogs.

I hope all is well!

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (4045 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (9857 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (11126 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5872 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (14471 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (18234 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (14364 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (13286 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (36110 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (6809 views)