Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Artificial sweetener ingestion.

Species: Dog
Breed: Border Collie
Age: 5-8 years
This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and came home about 3 to 4 hours later. When I got home, I noticed that my dog had licked the inside of the wrapper (which contained "diet" chocolate). She couldn't have gotten much, but I am concerned that the artificial sweeteners in the chocolate might be harmful to her. She's acting fine, but I'm not sure how long it's been since she ingested the chocolate. Should I be worried?

Here is a list of the ingredients in the bar:
Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Oat Flour, Calcium Carbonate), Glycerine, Polydextrose, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Chocolate Chips [Maltitol, Chocolate Liquor (Processed With Alkali), Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract], Rolled Oats, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Sunflower Oil, Whey Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Soy Nuts, Roasted Almonds, Coconut, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Whole Milk Powder, Cellulose, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium and Vitamin Mineral Mix (Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, D-l Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Biotin, D-calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Folic Acid, Chromium Chelate, Phytonadione, Sodium Selenite).

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question.

Most artificial sweeteners are totally safe for dogs. Some of them can cause some mild stomach upset (i.e. possibly a small amount of diarrhea).

The main concern though is a sweetener called Xylitol. This can be very toxic to a dog's liver. It looks like the sweetener in this bar is Malitol and sucralose. Neither of these are going to cause problems.

The small amount of chocolate in the bar is very unlikely to cause problems.

If just a little bit was licked then I wouldn't be worried at all. If your dog had eaten the whole bar I would expect some diarrhea though.

You may find these links interesting:

What foods are toxic for dogs?

Chocolate toxicity calculator for dogs.

I hope all is well!

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8128 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (24160 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (33003 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (12413 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (38444 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15886 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (11090 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (8178 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (13556 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5789 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.