Doesn't like s/d.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine Dissolution. However, he does not eat and he is stubborn and will wait without eating. He has lost so much weight for the last 3 weeks and we do not think this is working. He is so weak now, and it is very difficult to enforce this without giving him anything else to eat.

We would love to cook natural food and give feed him a tablet if there is an option. The final solution is surgery which is expensive. Can you please recommend any natural food and how we should prepare them for him? Also, we have seen some drugs on the internet that could dissolve the stones, can you recommend any?

Natural foods that we found in the net are:
plain cooked chicken
plain cooked turkey
eggs
rice
peas
pasta
white potatoes
cabbage
cauliflower
bananas
melon

This is a tough question to answer because legally I can't make medical recommendations for Copper unless he was my patient. But, I can give you my thoughts.

I have had a few patients that would not eat s/d, so that is not that uncommon. You may want to ask your vet if a switch to Royal Canin s/o is a possibility. Most dogs really like the taste of s/o and it is usually a very good food for dogs with struvite stones (which is probably what Copper has if he is on s/d).

There are medications that can acidify a dog's urine and can prevent struvite stones from forming. However, they are not recommended because they can actually cause the urine to become too basic and can predispose dogs to getting another type of stone called calcium oxalate.

I'm reluctant to recommend a diet because I find that it is very difficult to cook a balanced diet for dogs. The risk again here would be that if you find foods that acidify the urine enough to dissolve struvite stones then they may end up promoting calcium oxalate stones. The medical diets such as s/d and royal canin are extensively tested so that they will be safe in this respect (and no, I have no affiliation with either company.)

If I have a case like this where I need a dog to eat a prescription food and he won't eat it, what I often do is consult with the food companies. Both Hills and Royal Canin are excellent at consulting with veterinary staff to go over challenging cases like this. They may be able to suggest a combo of foods that might work or may have alternative solutions.

I hope things look up soon!

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14798 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (23711 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (27816 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (59647 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8758 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (19027 views)

Heart rate for a cat. Dear Dr.Marie I was just wondering THE TRUTH behind what a cats average heart... (11478 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (11905 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9776 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (16015 views)