Doesn't like s/d.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine Dissolution. However, he does not eat and he is stubborn and will wait without eating. He has lost so much weight for the last 3 weeks and we do not think this is working. He is so weak now, and it is very difficult to enforce this without giving him anything else to eat.

We would love to cook natural food and give feed him a tablet if there is an option. The final solution is surgery which is expensive. Can you please recommend any natural food and how we should prepare them for him? Also, we have seen some drugs on the internet that could dissolve the stones, can you recommend any?

Natural foods that we found in the net are:
plain cooked chicken
plain cooked turkey
eggs
rice
peas
pasta
white potatoes
cabbage
cauliflower
bananas
melon

This is a tough question to answer because legally I can't make medical recommendations for Copper unless he was my patient. But, I can give you my thoughts.

I have had a few patients that would not eat s/d, so that is not that uncommon. You may want to ask your vet if a switch to Royal Canin s/o is a possibility. Most dogs really like the taste of s/o and it is usually a very good food for dogs with struvite stones (which is probably what Copper has if he is on s/d).

There are medications that can acidify a dog's urine and can prevent struvite stones from forming. However, they are not recommended because they can actually cause the urine to become too basic and can predispose dogs to getting another type of stone called calcium oxalate.

I'm reluctant to recommend a diet because I find that it is very difficult to cook a balanced diet for dogs. The risk again here would be that if you find foods that acidify the urine enough to dissolve struvite stones then they may end up promoting calcium oxalate stones. The medical diets such as s/d and royal canin are extensively tested so that they will be safe in this respect (and no, I have no affiliation with either company.)

If I have a case like this where I need a dog to eat a prescription food and he won't eat it, what I often do is consult with the food companies. Both Hills and Royal Canin are excellent at consulting with veterinary staff to go over challenging cases like this. They may be able to suggest a combo of foods that might work or may have alternative solutions.

I hope things look up soon!

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (9200 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (11415 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12179 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6785 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (8442 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (18311 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (14683 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (24485 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24781 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (27956 views)