Doesn't like s/d.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine Dissolution. However, he does not eat and he is stubborn and will wait without eating. He has lost so much weight for the last 3 weeks and we do not think this is working. He is so weak now, and it is very difficult to enforce this without giving him anything else to eat.

We would love to cook natural food and give feed him a tablet if there is an option. The final solution is surgery which is expensive. Can you please recommend any natural food and how we should prepare them for him? Also, we have seen some drugs on the internet that could dissolve the stones, can you recommend any?

Natural foods that we found in the net are:
plain cooked chicken
plain cooked turkey
eggs
rice
peas
pasta
white potatoes
cabbage
cauliflower
bananas
melon

This is a tough question to answer because legally I can't make medical recommendations for Copper unless he was my patient. But, I can give you my thoughts.

I have had a few patients that would not eat s/d, so that is not that uncommon. You may want to ask your vet if a switch to Royal Canin s/o is a possibility. Most dogs really like the taste of s/o and it is usually a very good food for dogs with struvite stones (which is probably what Copper has if he is on s/d).

There are medications that can acidify a dog's urine and can prevent struvite stones from forming. However, they are not recommended because they can actually cause the urine to become too basic and can predispose dogs to getting another type of stone called calcium oxalate.

I'm reluctant to recommend a diet because I find that it is very difficult to cook a balanced diet for dogs. The risk again here would be that if you find foods that acidify the urine enough to dissolve struvite stones then they may end up promoting calcium oxalate stones. The medical diets such as s/d and royal canin are extensively tested so that they will be safe in this respect (and no, I have no affiliation with either company.)

If I have a case like this where I need a dog to eat a prescription food and he won't eat it, what I often do is consult with the food companies. Both Hills and Royal Canin are excellent at consulting with veterinary staff to go over challenging cases like this. They may be able to suggest a combo of foods that might work or may have alternative solutions.

I hope things look up soon!

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (24261 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (14128 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (70939 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (28853 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (17224 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (121701 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (23271 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (7709 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (14582 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (25198 views)