Cat pawing at mouth

Breed: Short haired
My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first, its like he has something trapped in his mouth. I have tried looking in there i can't see any think, then he will go ok for a while then start again he goes mad by jumping around with his tougue out and his paw at his mouth. we don't know if its a fur ball or if he has eat a bee or some thing like that. we can't afford to take him to a vet and find out its just a fur ball his trying to get up. can you please help by confirming what it can be and is wrong with him. Thankyou

Oh, it sounds like Diesel is having a hard time.

Usually when I hear of a cat having some coughing type episodes I think of an upper respiratory virus.

However, what you have described with him trying to paw at his mouth makes me concerned that there is something more serious going on. It certainly is possible that there is something stuck in his mouth. One possibility is if there is a thread or strong of some sort stuck under his tongue. This can be hard to see though and equally hard to fix and would likely require veterinary care.

I have not seen many cats have the symptoms that you have described. One cat that I saw with similar symptoms had a small piece of plastic stuck to the back of his tongue. Fur balls, or an insect sting should not cause these symptoms.

I wish I could give you some more helpful information, but if he is continuing to be this distressed then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16919 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (29989 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (12126 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6400 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (18173 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (18138 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6749 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (11090 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5408 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6066 views)