Cat pawing at mouth

Breed: Short haired
My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first, its like he has something trapped in his mouth. I have tried looking in there i can't see any think, then he will go ok for a while then start again he goes mad by jumping around with his tougue out and his paw at his mouth. we don't know if its a fur ball or if he has eat a bee or some thing like that. we can't afford to take him to a vet and find out its just a fur ball his trying to get up. can you please help by confirming what it can be and is wrong with him. Thankyou

Oh, it sounds like Diesel is having a hard time.

Usually when I hear of a cat having some coughing type episodes I think of an upper respiratory virus.

However, what you have described with him trying to paw at his mouth makes me concerned that there is something more serious going on. It certainly is possible that there is something stuck in his mouth. One possibility is if there is a thread or strong of some sort stuck under his tongue. This can be hard to see though and equally hard to fix and would likely require veterinary care.

I have not seen many cats have the symptoms that you have described. One cat that I saw with similar symptoms had a small piece of plastic stuck to the back of his tongue. Fur balls, or an insect sting should not cause these symptoms.

I wish I could give you some more helpful information, but if he is continuing to be this distressed then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (4840 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (14007 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (6844 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4491 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (7875 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (8221 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (8725 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (11631 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (9126 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (19833 views)