Cat pawing at mouth

Breed: Short haired
My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first, its like he has something trapped in his mouth. I have tried looking in there i can't see any think, then he will go ok for a while then start again he goes mad by jumping around with his tougue out and his paw at his mouth. we don't know if its a fur ball or if he has eat a bee or some thing like that. we can't afford to take him to a vet and find out its just a fur ball his trying to get up. can you please help by confirming what it can be and is wrong with him. Thankyou

Oh, it sounds like Diesel is having a hard time.

Usually when I hear of a cat having some coughing type episodes I think of an upper respiratory virus.

However, what you have described with him trying to paw at his mouth makes me concerned that there is something more serious going on. It certainly is possible that there is something stuck in his mouth. One possibility is if there is a thread or strong of some sort stuck under his tongue. This can be hard to see though and equally hard to fix and would likely require veterinary care.

I have not seen many cats have the symptoms that you have described. One cat that I saw with similar symptoms had a small piece of plastic stuck to the back of his tongue. Fur balls, or an insect sting should not cause these symptoms.

I wish I could give you some more helpful information, but if he is continuing to be this distressed then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (14901 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (39774 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (24174 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42953 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (27917 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7365 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5576 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (20777 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (17194 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5189 views)