Cat pawing at mouth

Breed: Short haired
My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first, its like he has something trapped in his mouth. I have tried looking in there i can't see any think, then he will go ok for a while then start again he goes mad by jumping around with his tougue out and his paw at his mouth. we don't know if its a fur ball or if he has eat a bee or some thing like that. we can't afford to take him to a vet and find out its just a fur ball his trying to get up. can you please help by confirming what it can be and is wrong with him. Thankyou

Oh, it sounds like Diesel is having a hard time.

Usually when I hear of a cat having some coughing type episodes I think of an upper respiratory virus.

However, what you have described with him trying to paw at his mouth makes me concerned that there is something more serious going on. It certainly is possible that there is something stuck in his mouth. One possibility is if there is a thread or strong of some sort stuck under his tongue. This can be hard to see though and equally hard to fix and would likely require veterinary care.

I have not seen many cats have the symptoms that you have described. One cat that I saw with similar symptoms had a small piece of plastic stuck to the back of his tongue. Fur balls, or an insect sting should not cause these symptoms.

I wish I could give you some more helpful information, but if he is continuing to be this distressed then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (15780 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (9472 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (6147 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (28799 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (54774 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (3036 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (3747 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (7354 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (6409 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (7895 views)