Cat pawing at mouth

Breed: Short haired
My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first, its like he has something trapped in his mouth. I have tried looking in there i can't see any think, then he will go ok for a while then start again he goes mad by jumping around with his tougue out and his paw at his mouth. we don't know if its a fur ball or if he has eat a bee or some thing like that. we can't afford to take him to a vet and find out its just a fur ball his trying to get up. can you please help by confirming what it can be and is wrong with him. Thankyou

Oh, it sounds like Diesel is having a hard time.

Usually when I hear of a cat having some coughing type episodes I think of an upper respiratory virus.

However, what you have described with him trying to paw at his mouth makes me concerned that there is something more serious going on. It certainly is possible that there is something stuck in his mouth. One possibility is if there is a thread or strong of some sort stuck under his tongue. This can be hard to see though and equally hard to fix and would likely require veterinary care.

I have not seen many cats have the symptoms that you have described. One cat that I saw with similar symptoms had a small piece of plastic stuck to the back of his tongue. Fur balls, or an insect sting should not cause these symptoms.

I wish I could give you some more helpful information, but if he is continuing to be this distressed then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (6670 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (6157 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (11505 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (7339 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (7527 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (4637 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (2721 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (7531 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (2822 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (7867 views)