Mast cell tumors on penis.

Breed: Chihuahua
I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell growth w/ growing tumors around penis & abdomen-deeply invasive. He does not appear to be in pain right now. He had a previous tumor removed surgically (May 2012) & vet said the tumors might return. They have. We are wondering what we can do to comfort him now since we can't afford the chemotherapy? Are Corticosteroids (such as prednisone, Lomustine or Vinblastine) an affordable option? Do we need a precription for them? How much should we expect to pay? What about treatment for pain? Lastly, Tyson likes to lick the tumors & they seem to be crusting & turning yellowish. Is there anything we can do to help treat the masses (low cost solutions)? When should we consider putting him to sleep? Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Tyson is not doing well.

Mast cell tumors can sometimes be very difficult to deal with. Sometimes, just removing a mast cell tumor can cure the problem. However, if Tyson's are deeply invasive then surgery may not be an option. Or, if surgery is an option it will be an expensive one.

The drugs that you mentioned (prednisone, Lomustine (also known as CCNU) and Vinblastine) actually are a chemotherapy protocol. They are not simple medications that you just get a prescription for. Rather, under the direction of a veterinary oncologist you would have repeated visits and Tyson would get injections intravenously of these medications. He would also need repeated blood tests to make sure that his red and white blood cells are handling the chemo ok. This type of chemotherapy is something that is often suggested to use after a mast cell tumor has been removed, in order to prevent remaining cells from spreading. However, removing these tumors likely isn't an option for you.

If I had a patient with this problem and surgery and chemo was not an option then I would do something called a palliative treatment. In this case I would prescribe antihistamines to help against the histamines that mast cells release and also stomach protectant drugs. Sometimes I also do prescribe prednisone (which you mentioned above.) The prednisone can help reduce swelling but is not going to cure the cancer. While some of these drugs can be purchased over the counter, they need to be administered under the advice of a veterinarian. (I can't legally advise you on dosages and use of medications without actually seeing your dog in person.)

It will be hard to know when it is time to talk about putting him to sleep. Here are some things to consider:

1. Is he enjoying life more often than not? If you feel that he is obsessed with the tumors all of the time, then this is not fair and we should be thinking about euthanasia.

2. Is he still eating ok? Lack of appetite can be a sign of pain.

3. Are you enjoying having him? If Tyson's care has become a chore, or if he is oozing and bleeding all over your house then these are valid reasons to consider euthanasia.

I do find, however, that in most cases, my clients just "know" when it is time.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for the information. We will make an appt. for Tyson with a vet to discuss the palliative treatment options. It sounds like we are in for a difficult year. Thanks again.

Henry Gallegos

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (11312 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (29669 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13724 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (40931 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8303 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (38022 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (10226 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (13304 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8815 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (14224 views)