Not eating or drinking and is painful.

Breed: dsh
My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very depressed and growls if you try to move him.I took him to vet monday as soon as he seemed ill but she doesn't know what's wrong temp normal he hasn't vomited at all.took him bk today and she gave him a painkilling injec as she thought his abdomen was tender today.6 hrs later there is no improvement.she said he will have to go on a drip if no improvement.I am so worried I havnt slept this is so unusual for him he's usually so happy and crazy.please can you give your opinion on what is wrong.he is a regular hunter.I am so worried I think he will die in the night so I stay up but I am ill myself so its hard but he looks so bad. thanks 4 help

Oh dear. It sounds like he is really not feeling well. Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink there is something important going on.

Can you tell if Tink is urinating ok? A urinary tract blockage can be the cause of all of these symptoms. Most cats with a urinary tract blockage will be trying to urinate and maybe just producing a small amount of urine. Quite often they will be licking themselves between the legs as well.

If you think this could be what is happening then it is important that he is seen by the vet again immediately so that he can have a catheter placed in his urethra to help him urinate.

If there was no improvement at all after a painkiller injection then this makes me think that something like a muscle or a skeletal injury is much less likely.

If he is outdoors and possibly eating things he shouldn't then an intestinal obstruction is possible. Unfortunately though, if this is what it is and it is causing him to be this sick then there is not much that can be done short of intestinal surgery. If this is what the problem is and surgery is potentially an option for you then I would immediately have him see the vet again and perhaps have some xrays.

From what you have described it sounds like Tink really does need to be in the veterinary hospital now if that is a possibility for you.

I wish I could add more. I don't think that there is much that you can be doing for him at home.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (24963 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (8305 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (18519 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (8115 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (11071 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (9809 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (3992 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (6227 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (6439 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (3939 views)