Not eating or drinking and is painful.

Breed: dsh
My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very depressed and growls if you try to move him.I took him to vet monday as soon as he seemed ill but she doesn't know what's wrong temp normal he hasn't vomited at all.took him bk today and she gave him a painkilling injec as she thought his abdomen was tender today.6 hrs later there is no improvement.she said he will have to go on a drip if no improvement.I am so worried I havnt slept this is so unusual for him he's usually so happy and crazy.please can you give your opinion on what is wrong.he is a regular hunter.I am so worried I think he will die in the night so I stay up but I am ill myself so its hard but he looks so bad. thanks 4 help

Oh dear. It sounds like he is really not feeling well. Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink there is something important going on.

Can you tell if Tink is urinating ok? A urinary tract blockage can be the cause of all of these symptoms. Most cats with a urinary tract blockage will be trying to urinate and maybe just producing a small amount of urine. Quite often they will be licking themselves between the legs as well.

If you think this could be what is happening then it is important that he is seen by the vet again immediately so that he can have a catheter placed in his urethra to help him urinate.

If there was no improvement at all after a painkiller injection then this makes me think that something like a muscle or a skeletal injury is much less likely.

If he is outdoors and possibly eating things he shouldn't then an intestinal obstruction is possible. Unfortunately though, if this is what it is and it is causing him to be this sick then there is not much that can be done short of intestinal surgery. If this is what the problem is and surgery is potentially an option for you then I would immediately have him see the vet again and perhaps have some xrays.

From what you have described it sounds like Tink really does need to be in the veterinary hospital now if that is a possibility for you.

I wish I could add more. I don't think that there is much that you can be doing for him at home.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (14523 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12598 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (13398 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (12832 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (24111 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (17221 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (17693 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (19428 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (7214 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (545759 views)