Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Not eating or drinking and is painful.

Species: Cat
Breed: dsh
Age: 2-5 years
My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very depressed and growls if you try to move him.I took him to vet monday as soon as he seemed ill but she doesn't know what's wrong temp normal he hasn't vomited at all.took him bk today and she gave him a painkilling injec as she thought his abdomen was tender today.6 hrs later there is no improvement.she said he will have to go on a drip if no improvement.I am so worried I havnt slept this is so unusual for him he's usually so happy and crazy.please can you give your opinion on what is wrong.he is a regular hunter.I am so worried I think he will die in the night so I stay up but I am ill myself so its hard but he looks so bad. thanks 4 help


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh dear. It sounds like he is really not feeling well. Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink there is something important going on.

Can you tell if Tink is urinating ok? A urinary tract blockage can be the cause of all of these symptoms. Most cats with a urinary tract blockage will be trying to urinate and maybe just producing a small amount of urine. Quite often they will be licking themselves between the legs as well.

If you think this could be what is happening then it is important that he is seen by the vet again immediately so that he can have a catheter placed in his urethra to help him urinate.

If there was no improvement at all after a painkiller injection then this makes me think that something like a muscle or a skeletal injury is much less likely.

If he is outdoors and possibly eating things he shouldn't then an intestinal obstruction is possible. Unfortunately though, if this is what it is and it is causing him to be this sick then there is not much that can be done short of intestinal surgery. If this is what the problem is and surgery is potentially an option for you then I would immediately have him see the vet again and perhaps have some xrays.

From what you have described it sounds like Tink really does need to be in the veterinary hospital now if that is a possibility for you.

I wish I could add more. I don't think that there is much that you can be doing for him at home.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (19013 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (8391 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (13554 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (8403 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (10316 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (15826 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (5569 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (32463 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (102239 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (43176 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.