Dachshund not feeling well.

Breed: Dachshund
Dr,

We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy, 9 years ago. He has been very active of late at night and his shaking and jumping down has been waking the baby up so we have been trying to get him to sleep in another room. Well on the third night (first two no incidents)I woke up to find primo ripped up a section of the carpet by the door. Ever since then he has been very lethargic, hasn't pooped that much, maybe once or twice if that, since the incident three nights ago. He has eaten some but not like he normally does. Besides being lethargic and withdrawn, he has been shaking on and off, very similar to when he is scared or startled. I read some previous questions but figured I would give you all the details and ask your opinion. thank you for your help!!

joe

Hi Joe. My apologies on the delay in getting your answer. My online status was supposed to be set to off but somehow got changed. It's 3 am my time and I just happened to check my phone and saw your question.

The scenario you have described to me has me concerned. I think there is definitely a possibility that your dog has eaten some of the carpet and may have an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

The other possibility which might be even more likely is that he has injured his back. This is very common in dachshunds and can be quite serious. Sometimes a mild back issue can just cause inappetance and a reluctance to move or jump up. But in a dachshund even a mild back issue is something to take seriously as it can progress to a full blown disc problem requiring surgery.

I do think that a vet visit today is a good idea. If you are seeing that he is knuckling over on his hind legs or if he is extremely lethargic then an emergency visit may be necessary.

There are of course other possibilities but these would be my biggest concerns.

Unfortunately I likely won't be able to reply to any further responses to this question until the morning. I hope that your little guy is ok.

Dr,

Your instincts were correct! We went to the vet this morning and they took x rays. It showed that his last vertebrae is bone on bone and all digging the other night on the carpet caused the hip and the spine to become inflamed. His stomach showed that it was all clear of any obstruction, but it did show that his poop was backed up because it prob hurts too much to go to the bathroom. The Dr. prescribed Rimadyl for pain and inflammation, tramadol for pain and diazapan for muscle relaxation. So now its just watching him and making sure he doesn't jump up or down anywhere and carrying him outside to go to the bathroom. thank you for your help and I will keep you updated on his condition. And hopefully we wont need to ask you any more questions anytime soon.

joe

So glad to hear that you were able to see the vet and that medication was prescribed. Hope things work out ok and he is feeling better soon!

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (8820 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8602 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (18555 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (6526 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (15594 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (9353 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (13041 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (11137 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (38903 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (19273 views)