Dachshund not feeling well.

Breed: Dachshund
Dr,

We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy, 9 years ago. He has been very active of late at night and his shaking and jumping down has been waking the baby up so we have been trying to get him to sleep in another room. Well on the third night (first two no incidents)I woke up to find primo ripped up a section of the carpet by the door. Ever since then he has been very lethargic, hasn't pooped that much, maybe once or twice if that, since the incident three nights ago. He has eaten some but not like he normally does. Besides being lethargic and withdrawn, he has been shaking on and off, very similar to when he is scared or startled. I read some previous questions but figured I would give you all the details and ask your opinion. thank you for your help!!

joe

Hi Joe. My apologies on the delay in getting your answer. My online status was supposed to be set to off but somehow got changed. It's 3 am my time and I just happened to check my phone and saw your question.

The scenario you have described to me has me concerned. I think there is definitely a possibility that your dog has eaten some of the carpet and may have an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

The other possibility which might be even more likely is that he has injured his back. This is very common in dachshunds and can be quite serious. Sometimes a mild back issue can just cause inappetance and a reluctance to move or jump up. But in a dachshund even a mild back issue is something to take seriously as it can progress to a full blown disc problem requiring surgery.

I do think that a vet visit today is a good idea. If you are seeing that he is knuckling over on his hind legs or if he is extremely lethargic then an emergency visit may be necessary.

There are of course other possibilities but these would be my biggest concerns.

Unfortunately I likely won't be able to reply to any further responses to this question until the morning. I hope that your little guy is ok.

Dr,

Your instincts were correct! We went to the vet this morning and they took x rays. It showed that his last vertebrae is bone on bone and all digging the other night on the carpet caused the hip and the spine to become inflamed. His stomach showed that it was all clear of any obstruction, but it did show that his poop was backed up because it prob hurts too much to go to the bathroom. The Dr. prescribed Rimadyl for pain and inflammation, tramadol for pain and diazapan for muscle relaxation. So now its just watching him and making sure he doesn't jump up or down anywhere and carrying him outside to go to the bathroom. thank you for your help and I will keep you updated on his condition. And hopefully we wont need to ask you any more questions anytime soon.

joe

So glad to hear that you were able to see the vet and that medication was prescribed. Hope things work out ok and he is feeling better soon!

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8571 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (17785 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (54062 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (21602 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5886 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6419 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7797 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5817 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (28002 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27042 views)