Dachshund not feeling well.

Breed: Dachshund
Dr,

We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy, 9 years ago. He has been very active of late at night and his shaking and jumping down has been waking the baby up so we have been trying to get him to sleep in another room. Well on the third night (first two no incidents)I woke up to find primo ripped up a section of the carpet by the door. Ever since then he has been very lethargic, hasn't pooped that much, maybe once or twice if that, since the incident three nights ago. He has eaten some but not like he normally does. Besides being lethargic and withdrawn, he has been shaking on and off, very similar to when he is scared or startled. I read some previous questions but figured I would give you all the details and ask your opinion. thank you for your help!!

joe

Hi Joe. My apologies on the delay in getting your answer. My online status was supposed to be set to off but somehow got changed. It's 3 am my time and I just happened to check my phone and saw your question.

The scenario you have described to me has me concerned. I think there is definitely a possibility that your dog has eaten some of the carpet and may have an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

The other possibility which might be even more likely is that he has injured his back. This is very common in dachshunds and can be quite serious. Sometimes a mild back issue can just cause inappetance and a reluctance to move or jump up. But in a dachshund even a mild back issue is something to take seriously as it can progress to a full blown disc problem requiring surgery.

I do think that a vet visit today is a good idea. If you are seeing that he is knuckling over on his hind legs or if he is extremely lethargic then an emergency visit may be necessary.

There are of course other possibilities but these would be my biggest concerns.

Unfortunately I likely won't be able to reply to any further responses to this question until the morning. I hope that your little guy is ok.

Dr,

Your instincts were correct! We went to the vet this morning and they took x rays. It showed that his last vertebrae is bone on bone and all digging the other night on the carpet caused the hip and the spine to become inflamed. His stomach showed that it was all clear of any obstruction, but it did show that his poop was backed up because it prob hurts too much to go to the bathroom. The Dr. prescribed Rimadyl for pain and inflammation, tramadol for pain and diazapan for muscle relaxation. So now its just watching him and making sure he doesn't jump up or down anywhere and carrying him outside to go to the bathroom. thank you for your help and I will keep you updated on his condition. And hopefully we wont need to ask you any more questions anytime soon.

joe

So glad to hear that you were able to see the vet and that medication was prescribed. Hope things work out ok and he is feeling better soon!

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10695 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (50637 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (23702 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (9626 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (4935 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (6306 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (14269 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (29959 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (25715 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (15819 views)