Disinfecting dishes.

Breed: n/a
Hello Marie,

I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat cleaning protocols that I recently set up to prevent and manage diseases such as parvo and upper respiratory diseases such as calicivirus. I tried calling my local vet but he is way too busy to answer a question in depth. My question is about dishes protocol.

For dishes: I have heard that soaking dishes in a 4:128 dilution of bleach is best after dishes are pre-cleaned with dawn dish soap. However, wouldn't that require getting a tote big enough to completely soak litter boxes and bowls in and adding enough water for that purpose? I can arrange for that, but wouldn't that require 5 gallons of water and 25 ounces of bleach? Just want to be certain.

What I am doing alternatively (let me know if this actually is a good idea or not) is pre-cleaning dishes then I spray them with a power washer that is attached with a 1:32 bleach sprayer. I bleach all the dishes and let them set for 10 minutes then I rinse them and let them dry for several hours. Occasionally I will wet them again before rinsing if they dry too fast.

The bad thing is the humane society I work for have a very tight budget so I usually clean 50-70 cats per day in addition to dishes, sweeping and mopping and more alone, so time is a factor if you think of a more time efficient and cost effective method or can tell me the one I'm using now is appropriate.

Thank you much!

It sounds like you are doing a good job in trying to prevent the spread of viruses. I generally recommend a 1:32 solution of bleach which is the same thing as 4:128. To accomplish this, you would use 1/2 a cup of bleach for each gallon of water you are using.

According to one article that I read, a good thorough clean with dish detergent will get rid of 99% of the virus that is present on the dishes. They then recommend exactly what you are doing - bleaching them, and then letting them sit for 10 minutes. I think the drying step is a good one too. It is not a bad idea to give the dishes a rinse again once dried as any leftover bleach could be caustic to the animals' mouths.

I wish I could give you a more efficient schedule but I think that what you are doing is excellent and I wouldn't change it.

Keep up the good work!

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12428 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (8338 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (7763 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26004 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (7716 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14360 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19122 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26703 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (18795 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15852 views)