Itchy by tail

Breed: Japanese Chin
Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his tail. I looked at that spot and noticed that bits of hair were being held by dry blood over a lump the size of a quarter. As i peeled back as much hair as I could to see what it was, a small amount of puss seemed to leak out. The area seems slightly swollen and there is a ring of dry blood around it. He does have fleas, I don't think he has any ticks. What could it be?? Thank you.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Teddy is having these problems.

If Teddy has fleas then this is likely the source of his skin irritation. Most likely Teddy is allergic to flea bites. When a dog has a flea allergy then the area around the tail is the most common area that is affected. The second most common area is the back of the neck.

The skin irritation sounds like it is infected. It may have become something called a hot spot which is a localized area of infection. If this is the case then he will likely need to see a vet for antibiotics and possibly some steroids for the itch.

Another possibility, if the lump is just below and to one side of the anus is an anal sac abscess which would have nothing to do with the fleas.

In either case, it sounds like a vet visit is necessary. Until you can get there it is a good idea to wash the area a few times a day with warm water. There is likely no over the counter medicine that is likely to be effective.

I hope all goes well!

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (15102 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5500 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5192 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (35936 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25156 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17711 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (11264 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23889 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11196 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4626 views)