Itchy by tail

Breed: Japanese Chin
Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his tail. I looked at that spot and noticed that bits of hair were being held by dry blood over a lump the size of a quarter. As i peeled back as much hair as I could to see what it was, a small amount of puss seemed to leak out. The area seems slightly swollen and there is a ring of dry blood around it. He does have fleas, I don't think he has any ticks. What could it be?? Thank you.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Teddy is having these problems.

If Teddy has fleas then this is likely the source of his skin irritation. Most likely Teddy is allergic to flea bites. When a dog has a flea allergy then the area around the tail is the most common area that is affected. The second most common area is the back of the neck.

The skin irritation sounds like it is infected. It may have become something called a hot spot which is a localized area of infection. If this is the case then he will likely need to see a vet for antibiotics and possibly some steroids for the itch.

Another possibility, if the lump is just below and to one side of the anus is an anal sac abscess which would have nothing to do with the fleas.

In either case, it sounds like a vet visit is necessary. Until you can get there it is a good idea to wash the area a few times a day with warm water. There is likely no over the counter medicine that is likely to be effective.

I hope all goes well!

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (6698 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (18930 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (21101 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (11226 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (6803 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (44374 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (25630 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (11378 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (13538 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (17108 views)