Itchy by tail

Breed: Japanese Chin
Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his tail. I looked at that spot and noticed that bits of hair were being held by dry blood over a lump the size of a quarter. As i peeled back as much hair as I could to see what it was, a small amount of puss seemed to leak out. The area seems slightly swollen and there is a ring of dry blood around it. He does have fleas, I don't think he has any ticks. What could it be?? Thank you.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Teddy is having these problems.

If Teddy has fleas then this is likely the source of his skin irritation. Most likely Teddy is allergic to flea bites. When a dog has a flea allergy then the area around the tail is the most common area that is affected. The second most common area is the back of the neck.

The skin irritation sounds like it is infected. It may have become something called a hot spot which is a localized area of infection. If this is the case then he will likely need to see a vet for antibiotics and possibly some steroids for the itch.

Another possibility, if the lump is just below and to one side of the anus is an anal sac abscess which would have nothing to do with the fleas.

In either case, it sounds like a vet visit is necessary. Until you can get there it is a good idea to wash the area a few times a day with warm water. There is likely no over the counter medicine that is likely to be effective.

I hope all goes well!

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (9231 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (14653 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (10955 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (11493 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (28481 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (36820 views)

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (9386 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (17111 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (8830 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (10390 views)