Itchy by tail

Breed: Japanese Chin
Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his tail. I looked at that spot and noticed that bits of hair were being held by dry blood over a lump the size of a quarter. As i peeled back as much hair as I could to see what it was, a small amount of puss seemed to leak out. The area seems slightly swollen and there is a ring of dry blood around it. He does have fleas, I don't think he has any ticks. What could it be?? Thank you.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Sorry to hear that Teddy is having these problems.

If Teddy has fleas then this is likely the source of his skin irritation. Most likely Teddy is allergic to flea bites. When a dog has a flea allergy then the area around the tail is the most common area that is affected. The second most common area is the back of the neck.

The skin irritation sounds like it is infected. It may have become something called a hot spot which is a localized area of infection. If this is the case then he will likely need to see a vet for antibiotics and possibly some steroids for the itch.

Another possibility, if the lump is just below and to one side of the anus is an anal sac abscess which would have nothing to do with the fleas.

In either case, it sounds like a vet visit is necessary. Until you can get there it is a good idea to wash the area a few times a day with warm water. There is likely no over the counter medicine that is likely to be effective.

I hope all goes well!

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (25760 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (10734 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (30496 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (7610 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (11692 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (14264 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10193 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6315 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (8389 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8011 views)