In pain after anal gland surgery.

Breed: shitzu
my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has poor appetite what can I do.He also dont want no one to touch him and hides under the sofa.

Sorry to hear that Nimo is having problems!

Usually dogs will recover relatively quickly from anal gland surgery. If he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then there is a good possibility that he is in pain. I would advise that you ask your vet about the possibility of getting more pain medication for him. (Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that I can recommend).

If it has been a few days since surgery it is possible that he is developing an infection at the surgical site. If you think this is the case then I would advise you have your vet take another look at him.

I hope he does ok!

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (8932 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (6366 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20140 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (6600 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (12885 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (12177 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (15723 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (11011 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (13391 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (6330 views)