In pain after anal gland surgery.

Breed: shitzu
my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has poor appetite what can I do.He also dont want no one to touch him and hides under the sofa.

Sorry to hear that Nimo is having problems!

Usually dogs will recover relatively quickly from anal gland surgery. If he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then there is a good possibility that he is in pain. I would advise that you ask your vet about the possibility of getting more pain medication for him. (Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that I can recommend).

If it has been a few days since surgery it is possible that he is developing an infection at the surgical site. If you think this is the case then I would advise you have your vet take another look at him.

I hope he does ok!

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62667 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (14647 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (6771 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7645 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10287 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10804 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (12310 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12139 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (8108 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13506 views)