In pain after anal gland surgery.

Breed: shitzu
my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has poor appetite what can I do.He also dont want no one to touch him and hides under the sofa.

Sorry to hear that Nimo is having problems!

Usually dogs will recover relatively quickly from anal gland surgery. If he doesn't want to eat and is lethargic then there is a good possibility that he is in pain. I would advise that you ask your vet about the possibility of getting more pain medication for him. (Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that I can recommend).

If it has been a few days since surgery it is possible that he is developing an infection at the surgical site. If you think this is the case then I would advise you have your vet take another look at him.

I hope he does ok!

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (13813 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (20918 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (21538 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (17071 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (6006 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (23697 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (16936 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (17286 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (12957 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (11010 views)