Losing weight, not eating.

Breed: gray striped cat
My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork, urine tests and xrays and says nothing is wrong and he is healthy. he is scheduled for a abdominal ultrasound tomorrow. if the ultrasound shows nothing wrong then the vet wants to do dental surgery because he says sam has a lot of cavities and gum disease and it could be causing him not to eat. I have been syringe feeding him baby food for 2 days now and i do not know if i am feeding him enough. he does drink water on his own. how much and how often should i feed him? also is there anyother tests i should ask for before we assume its his teeth and do the surgery? Its not diabetes or thyroid, his kidneys and liver are good, there were no masses on xray and all organs look good.

Hi.Nancy...I just wanted to let u know I will have a full response to you in about an hour or so. Sorry for the delay!

Sorry for the delay Nancy...I forgot to turn my online status off when I went to the grocery store!

I'm sorry to hear that Sammy is not doing well. It is sometimes a difficult thing to determine why older cats are losing weight and not eating. Your vet is doing the exact same things that I would. In many cases we can find the problem on our bloodwork if we are dealing with kidney disease, liver disease or some other conditions.

When these tests are normal the next thing we start to look for is signs of a mass or cancer somewhere. Sometimes we can see evidence on xrays, but often we need an ultrasound to see this. The xrays also help us determine if there is severe arthritis in the spine as this can cause a cat to not want to eat.

Your vet will do a thorough search on the ultrasound to look for cancer. While many cancers are evident on ultrasound, there are some that can be difficult to diagnose such as lymphosarcoma of the intestines.

If your vet feels that the ultrasound is clear then I think a dental cleaning is a good idea. I have seen cats that are new creatures once their teeth are cleaned and any painful teeth are extracted.

It does sound like your vet has been very thorough. There really aren't any other tests that I would be running if this were my case.

You may want to ask your vet about a medication called Remeron (mirtazipine). This is an appetite stimulant that sometimes helps cats who don't want to eat. It won't cure the problem but it may help his appetite temporarily.

As far as how much to feed him, as long as he is getting some food into him each day this is a good thing. If he is tolerating the baby food then give him as much as he will tolerate.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you for a fast response. Sammy had an ultrasound today and unfortunatly its not too good. He has cancer in his liver and spleen. The vet gave him a steriod medication and an appetite stimulant. We have decided not to do chemotherapy on him and to just try to keep him happy and comfortable for as long as we can. Thanks again since you agreed with everything our vet has done it makes me feel that we are doing everything we can.

Hi Nancy...I'm sorry for the bad news. :( I have a similar patient in my clinic right now. Liver cancer is especially hard to deal with. In most cases, palliative care (i.e. doing what we can to keep him comfortable) is the best decision.

It sounds like you have a good vet. Hopefully they will help guide you through the process when it comes time to make some hard decisions.

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23188 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18153 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6399 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (14809 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (18836 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (8825 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19188 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17393 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5201 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (8621 views)