Losing weight, not eating.

Breed: gray striped cat
My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork, urine tests and xrays and says nothing is wrong and he is healthy. he is scheduled for a abdominal ultrasound tomorrow. if the ultrasound shows nothing wrong then the vet wants to do dental surgery because he says sam has a lot of cavities and gum disease and it could be causing him not to eat. I have been syringe feeding him baby food for 2 days now and i do not know if i am feeding him enough. he does drink water on his own. how much and how often should i feed him? also is there anyother tests i should ask for before we assume its his teeth and do the surgery? Its not diabetes or thyroid, his kidneys and liver are good, there were no masses on xray and all organs look good.

Hi.Nancy...I just wanted to let u know I will have a full response to you in about an hour or so. Sorry for the delay!

Sorry for the delay Nancy...I forgot to turn my online status off when I went to the grocery store!

I'm sorry to hear that Sammy is not doing well. It is sometimes a difficult thing to determine why older cats are losing weight and not eating. Your vet is doing the exact same things that I would. In many cases we can find the problem on our bloodwork if we are dealing with kidney disease, liver disease or some other conditions.

When these tests are normal the next thing we start to look for is signs of a mass or cancer somewhere. Sometimes we can see evidence on xrays, but often we need an ultrasound to see this. The xrays also help us determine if there is severe arthritis in the spine as this can cause a cat to not want to eat.

Your vet will do a thorough search on the ultrasound to look for cancer. While many cancers are evident on ultrasound, there are some that can be difficult to diagnose such as lymphosarcoma of the intestines.

If your vet feels that the ultrasound is clear then I think a dental cleaning is a good idea. I have seen cats that are new creatures once their teeth are cleaned and any painful teeth are extracted.

It does sound like your vet has been very thorough. There really aren't any other tests that I would be running if this were my case.

You may want to ask your vet about a medication called Remeron (mirtazipine). This is an appetite stimulant that sometimes helps cats who don't want to eat. It won't cure the problem but it may help his appetite temporarily.

As far as how much to feed him, as long as he is getting some food into him each day this is a good thing. If he is tolerating the baby food then give him as much as he will tolerate.

I hope he does ok!

Thank you for a fast response. Sammy had an ultrasound today and unfortunatly its not too good. He has cancer in his liver and spleen. The vet gave him a steriod medication and an appetite stimulant. We have decided not to do chemotherapy on him and to just try to keep him happy and comfortable for as long as we can. Thanks again since you agreed with everything our vet has done it makes me feel that we are doing everything we can.

Hi Nancy...I'm sorry for the bad news. :( I have a similar patient in my clinic right now. Liver cancer is especially hard to deal with. In most cases, palliative care (i.e. doing what we can to keep him comfortable) is the best decision.

It sounds like you have a good vet. Hopefully they will help guide you through the process when it comes time to make some hard decisions.

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (9093 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (17297 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (10365 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (292425 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (17086 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (11141 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (17535 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (28652 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (8511 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (8566 views)