Drinking more and thirsty

Breed: RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK
LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND URINATES MORE.

I'm sorry to hear that Lili is having these problems.

I really do get concerned when a dog has a sudden increase in thirst and urination.

There are several possibilities. One possibility is that she has gotten into something that is toxic to her kidneys. Some examples would be certain plants, or possible antifreeze, or even an organism called leptospirosis which can be spread from drinking from puddles where a skunk or raccoon had been nearby. In any of these situations there is damage to the kidneys and then they release too much fluid. In return the dog becomes very thirsty.

Another possibility is diabetes. A diabetic animal has too much glucose (sugar) in their system. The glucose causes more urine to be drawn into the bladder and then the animal ends up being thirsty.

If this has been a gradual increase and if it is combined with an increase in thirst, a disease called cushing's disease is possible.

Is she spayed? If not it is possible she has a condition called pyometra which is a serious infection in the uterus. This is most common within 1-2 months of having a heat cycle. This is a very serious condition and the treatment is to have her spayed right away.

Some female dogs as they get older can have problems keeping their bladder closed when they are relaxed and can leak urine when sleeping. This is easily controlled with medication. However, this is not a condition that would cause an increase in thirst.

I would highly recommend a vet visit. All of these conditions are treatable but for many, the longer we wait the more serious the condition becomes.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your information. We will take her to the vet to get her straightened out. She is a lovely dog and a lot of company for me as my time is limited (cancer)and can't drive, etc. now on the down slide after a number of years. Again thank you for your timely response.
Al Hranicka
Glen Burnie, MD

I hope everything works out ok for both of you.

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20952 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (12597 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (114848 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (11270 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (3865 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (8631 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7596 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6866 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7105 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11888 views)