Drinking more and thirsty

Breed: RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK
LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND URINATES MORE.

I'm sorry to hear that Lili is having these problems.

I really do get concerned when a dog has a sudden increase in thirst and urination.

There are several possibilities. One possibility is that she has gotten into something that is toxic to her kidneys. Some examples would be certain plants, or possible antifreeze, or even an organism called leptospirosis which can be spread from drinking from puddles where a skunk or raccoon had been nearby. In any of these situations there is damage to the kidneys and then they release too much fluid. In return the dog becomes very thirsty.

Another possibility is diabetes. A diabetic animal has too much glucose (sugar) in their system. The glucose causes more urine to be drawn into the bladder and then the animal ends up being thirsty.

If this has been a gradual increase and if it is combined with an increase in thirst, a disease called cushing's disease is possible.

Is she spayed? If not it is possible she has a condition called pyometra which is a serious infection in the uterus. This is most common within 1-2 months of having a heat cycle. This is a very serious condition and the treatment is to have her spayed right away.

Some female dogs as they get older can have problems keeping their bladder closed when they are relaxed and can leak urine when sleeping. This is easily controlled with medication. However, this is not a condition that would cause an increase in thirst.

I would highly recommend a vet visit. All of these conditions are treatable but for many, the longer we wait the more serious the condition becomes.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your information. We will take her to the vet to get her straightened out. She is a lovely dog and a lot of company for me as my time is limited (cancer)and can't drive, etc. now on the down slide after a number of years. Again thank you for your timely response.
Al Hranicka
Glen Burnie, MD

I hope everything works out ok for both of you.

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (9441 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (8650 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23092 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (5076 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (32708 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (4956 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (26527 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7205 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9349 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7291 views)