Drinking more and thirsty

Breed: RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK
LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND URINATES MORE.

I'm sorry to hear that Lili is having these problems.

I really do get concerned when a dog has a sudden increase in thirst and urination.

There are several possibilities. One possibility is that she has gotten into something that is toxic to her kidneys. Some examples would be certain plants, or possible antifreeze, or even an organism called leptospirosis which can be spread from drinking from puddles where a skunk or raccoon had been nearby. In any of these situations there is damage to the kidneys and then they release too much fluid. In return the dog becomes very thirsty.

Another possibility is diabetes. A diabetic animal has too much glucose (sugar) in their system. The glucose causes more urine to be drawn into the bladder and then the animal ends up being thirsty.

If this has been a gradual increase and if it is combined with an increase in thirst, a disease called cushing's disease is possible.

Is she spayed? If not it is possible she has a condition called pyometra which is a serious infection in the uterus. This is most common within 1-2 months of having a heat cycle. This is a very serious condition and the treatment is to have her spayed right away.

Some female dogs as they get older can have problems keeping their bladder closed when they are relaxed and can leak urine when sleeping. This is easily controlled with medication. However, this is not a condition that would cause an increase in thirst.

I would highly recommend a vet visit. All of these conditions are treatable but for many, the longer we wait the more serious the condition becomes.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your information. We will take her to the vet to get her straightened out. She is a lovely dog and a lot of company for me as my time is limited (cancer)and can't drive, etc. now on the down slide after a number of years. Again thank you for your timely response.
Al Hranicka
Glen Burnie, MD

I hope everything works out ok for both of you.

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (118248 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41775 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6821 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (13746 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13014 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (9922 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14431 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (15598 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17208 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (13959 views)