Drinking more and thirsty

Breed: RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK
LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND URINATES MORE.

I'm sorry to hear that Lili is having these problems.

I really do get concerned when a dog has a sudden increase in thirst and urination.

There are several possibilities. One possibility is that she has gotten into something that is toxic to her kidneys. Some examples would be certain plants, or possible antifreeze, or even an organism called leptospirosis which can be spread from drinking from puddles where a skunk or raccoon had been nearby. In any of these situations there is damage to the kidneys and then they release too much fluid. In return the dog becomes very thirsty.

Another possibility is diabetes. A diabetic animal has too much glucose (sugar) in their system. The glucose causes more urine to be drawn into the bladder and then the animal ends up being thirsty.

If this has been a gradual increase and if it is combined with an increase in thirst, a disease called cushing's disease is possible.

Is she spayed? If not it is possible she has a condition called pyometra which is a serious infection in the uterus. This is most common within 1-2 months of having a heat cycle. This is a very serious condition and the treatment is to have her spayed right away.

Some female dogs as they get older can have problems keeping their bladder closed when they are relaxed and can leak urine when sleeping. This is easily controlled with medication. However, this is not a condition that would cause an increase in thirst.

I would highly recommend a vet visit. All of these conditions are treatable but for many, the longer we wait the more serious the condition becomes.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your information. We will take her to the vet to get her straightened out. She is a lovely dog and a lot of company for me as my time is limited (cancer)and can't drive, etc. now on the down slide after a number of years. Again thank you for your timely response.
Al Hranicka
Glen Burnie, MD

I hope everything works out ok for both of you.

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (9490 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10910 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (6007 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (99266 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (10997 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (19999 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (35337 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (8378 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9678 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (18485 views)