Drinking more and thirsty

Breed: RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK
LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND URINATES MORE.

I'm sorry to hear that Lili is having these problems.

I really do get concerned when a dog has a sudden increase in thirst and urination.

There are several possibilities. One possibility is that she has gotten into something that is toxic to her kidneys. Some examples would be certain plants, or possible antifreeze, or even an organism called leptospirosis which can be spread from drinking from puddles where a skunk or raccoon had been nearby. In any of these situations there is damage to the kidneys and then they release too much fluid. In return the dog becomes very thirsty.

Another possibility is diabetes. A diabetic animal has too much glucose (sugar) in their system. The glucose causes more urine to be drawn into the bladder and then the animal ends up being thirsty.

If this has been a gradual increase and if it is combined with an increase in thirst, a disease called cushing's disease is possible.

Is she spayed? If not it is possible she has a condition called pyometra which is a serious infection in the uterus. This is most common within 1-2 months of having a heat cycle. This is a very serious condition and the treatment is to have her spayed right away.

Some female dogs as they get older can have problems keeping their bladder closed when they are relaxed and can leak urine when sleeping. This is easily controlled with medication. However, this is not a condition that would cause an increase in thirst.

I would highly recommend a vet visit. All of these conditions are treatable but for many, the longer we wait the more serious the condition becomes.

I really hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for your information. We will take her to the vet to get her straightened out. She is a lovely dog and a lot of company for me as my time is limited (cancer)and can't drive, etc. now on the down slide after a number of years. Again thank you for your timely response.
Al Hranicka
Glen Burnie, MD

I hope everything works out ok for both of you.

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19227 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (8675 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11243 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (103476 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25044 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7663 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9621 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (25515 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5183 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10346 views)