Swollen neck on cat.

Breed: unknown
My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has happened 3 times now. It last about 24 hours then goes away.It happens every month or so. One time it was so bad he was drooling and his tongue was sticking out. What could this be?

This is an unusual situation!

The most common reason for a swelling on the neck or chin of a cat would be an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of a wound from a fight with another cat.

An abscess doesn't usually come and go. However, if the abscess burst and pus emptied out then it could get bigger and smaller.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are his lymph nodes. The submandibular lymph nodes are found under the back corner of the jaw (by the joint that hinges). If there are lymph nodes that are getting bigger and smaller then it may be that he has an infection that his body is trying to fight. If it is one lymph node that is getting bigger and smaller then it may be a tooth infection on one side of the mouth.

It's also possible that he has something stuck in his mouth underneath his tongue.

The next time it happens it would be a great idea to have your vet take a look!

I hope he is ok!

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18232 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (10049 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (27661 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (10251 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (16193 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17805 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24953 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6909 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (27358 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (12559 views)