Swollen neck on cat.

Breed: unknown
My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has happened 3 times now. It last about 24 hours then goes away.It happens every month or so. One time it was so bad he was drooling and his tongue was sticking out. What could this be?

This is an unusual situation!

The most common reason for a swelling on the neck or chin of a cat would be an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of a wound from a fight with another cat.

An abscess doesn't usually come and go. However, if the abscess burst and pus emptied out then it could get bigger and smaller.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are his lymph nodes. The submandibular lymph nodes are found under the back corner of the jaw (by the joint that hinges). If there are lymph nodes that are getting bigger and smaller then it may be that he has an infection that his body is trying to fight. If it is one lymph node that is getting bigger and smaller then it may be a tooth infection on one side of the mouth.

It's also possible that he has something stuck in his mouth underneath his tongue.

The next time it happens it would be a great idea to have your vet take a look!

I hope he is ok!

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (10404 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7806 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (5859 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8472 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11425 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (86916 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (34850 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (11273 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (15114 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (13375 views)