Swollen neck on cat.

Breed: unknown
My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has happened 3 times now. It last about 24 hours then goes away.It happens every month or so. One time it was so bad he was drooling and his tongue was sticking out. What could this be?

This is an unusual situation!

The most common reason for a swelling on the neck or chin of a cat would be an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of a wound from a fight with another cat.

An abscess doesn't usually come and go. However, if the abscess burst and pus emptied out then it could get bigger and smaller.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are his lymph nodes. The submandibular lymph nodes are found under the back corner of the jaw (by the joint that hinges). If there are lymph nodes that are getting bigger and smaller then it may be that he has an infection that his body is trying to fight. If it is one lymph node that is getting bigger and smaller then it may be a tooth infection on one side of the mouth.

It's also possible that he has something stuck in his mouth underneath his tongue.

The next time it happens it would be a great idea to have your vet take a look!

I hope he is ok!

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (24084 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (10713 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (30117 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (20687 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (24807 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (9445 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (38344 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (138896 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (122557 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (22099 views)