Swollen neck on cat.

Breed: unknown
My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has happened 3 times now. It last about 24 hours then goes away.It happens every month or so. One time it was so bad he was drooling and his tongue was sticking out. What could this be?

This is an unusual situation!

The most common reason for a swelling on the neck or chin of a cat would be an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of a wound from a fight with another cat.

An abscess doesn't usually come and go. However, if the abscess burst and pus emptied out then it could get bigger and smaller.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are his lymph nodes. The submandibular lymph nodes are found under the back corner of the jaw (by the joint that hinges). If there are lymph nodes that are getting bigger and smaller then it may be that he has an infection that his body is trying to fight. If it is one lymph node that is getting bigger and smaller then it may be a tooth infection on one side of the mouth.

It's also possible that he has something stuck in his mouth underneath his tongue.

The next time it happens it would be a great idea to have your vet take a look!

I hope he is ok!

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (28160 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (12638 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (6692 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (7829 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (12765 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (18899 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (48549 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (18903 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (11100 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (48449 views)