Swollen neck on cat.

Breed: unknown
My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has happened 3 times now. It last about 24 hours then goes away.It happens every month or so. One time it was so bad he was drooling and his tongue was sticking out. What could this be?

This is an unusual situation!

The most common reason for a swelling on the neck or chin of a cat would be an abscess. An abscess is usually there because of a wound from a fight with another cat.

An abscess doesn't usually come and go. However, if the abscess burst and pus emptied out then it could get bigger and smaller.

I'm wondering if what you are describing are his lymph nodes. The submandibular lymph nodes are found under the back corner of the jaw (by the joint that hinges). If there are lymph nodes that are getting bigger and smaller then it may be that he has an infection that his body is trying to fight. If it is one lymph node that is getting bigger and smaller then it may be a tooth infection on one side of the mouth.

It's also possible that he has something stuck in his mouth underneath his tongue.

The next time it happens it would be a great idea to have your vet take a look!

I hope he is ok!

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (25001 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (27319 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (21875 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (11981 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (44522 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (14472 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (27319 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (19051 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (22860 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (10417 views)