Cat with painful lump.

Breed: not sure
my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he seems to be in pain when he jumps off of things and when i press it a little he tried to scratch me, hes eating regularly but i have little money so i want to make sure he needs treatment or if i can do something for him at home or it heals over time

Sorry to hear that Sharpie is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, what you have described certainly sounds like an abscess. An abscess usually happens as the result of a fight. It usually appears a few days after a fight has happened. You don't always see a wound on the outside but there is infection underneath the skin.

An abscess almost always needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. The vet may also lance the abscess to drain the pus out. This is definitely not something you should attempt at home.

So yes, it does sound like something that requires vet care.

Hope all goes well!

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (9927 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5652 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (20388 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (19224 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6286 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10155 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12019 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7275 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (7893 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11619 views)