Cat with painful lump.

Breed: not sure
my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he seems to be in pain when he jumps off of things and when i press it a little he tried to scratch me, hes eating regularly but i have little money so i want to make sure he needs treatment or if i can do something for him at home or it heals over time

Sorry to hear that Sharpie is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, what you have described certainly sounds like an abscess. An abscess usually happens as the result of a fight. It usually appears a few days after a fight has happened. You don't always see a wound on the outside but there is infection underneath the skin.

An abscess almost always needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. The vet may also lance the abscess to drain the pus out. This is definitely not something you should attempt at home.

So yes, it does sound like something that requires vet care.

Hope all goes well!

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17032 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8066 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (7898 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18520 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (4955 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (18190 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7785 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (51389 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6172 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (12709 views)