Cat with painful lump.

Breed: not sure
my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he seems to be in pain when he jumps off of things and when i press it a little he tried to scratch me, hes eating regularly but i have little money so i want to make sure he needs treatment or if i can do something for him at home or it heals over time

Sorry to hear that Sharpie is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, what you have described certainly sounds like an abscess. An abscess usually happens as the result of a fight. It usually appears a few days after a fight has happened. You don't always see a wound on the outside but there is infection underneath the skin.

An abscess almost always needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. The vet may also lance the abscess to drain the pus out. This is definitely not something you should attempt at home.

So yes, it does sound like something that requires vet care.

Hope all goes well!

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (13464 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18154 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (16277 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (25111 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (9378 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (12898 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (17744 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (13109 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (9203 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (25698 views)