Cat with painful lump.

Breed: not sure
my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he seems to be in pain when he jumps off of things and when i press it a little he tried to scratch me, hes eating regularly but i have little money so i want to make sure he needs treatment or if i can do something for him at home or it heals over time

Sorry to hear that Sharpie is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, what you have described certainly sounds like an abscess. An abscess usually happens as the result of a fight. It usually appears a few days after a fight has happened. You don't always see a wound on the outside but there is infection underneath the skin.

An abscess almost always needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. The vet may also lance the abscess to drain the pus out. This is definitely not something you should attempt at home.

So yes, it does sound like something that requires vet care.

Hope all goes well!

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (18467 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (24606 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6231 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6276 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5685 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5561 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11806 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (41238 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (17079 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10221 views)