Cat with painful lump.

Breed: not sure
my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he seems to be in pain when he jumps off of things and when i press it a little he tried to scratch me, hes eating regularly but i have little money so i want to make sure he needs treatment or if i can do something for him at home or it heals over time

Sorry to hear that Sharpie is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, what you have described certainly sounds like an abscess. An abscess usually happens as the result of a fight. It usually appears a few days after a fight has happened. You don't always see a wound on the outside but there is infection underneath the skin.

An abscess almost always needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. The vet may also lance the abscess to drain the pus out. This is definitely not something you should attempt at home.

So yes, it does sound like something that requires vet care.

Hope all goes well!

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (50187 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (13672 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16907 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (8164 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (43613 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9926 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6248 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13602 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (31712 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10913 views)