Cat with painful lump.

Breed: not sure
my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he seems to be in pain when he jumps off of things and when i press it a little he tried to scratch me, hes eating regularly but i have little money so i want to make sure he needs treatment or if i can do something for him at home or it heals over time

Sorry to hear that Sharpie is having problems.

While I can't say for sure what is going on, what you have described certainly sounds like an abscess. An abscess usually happens as the result of a fight. It usually appears a few days after a fight has happened. You don't always see a wound on the outside but there is infection underneath the skin.

An abscess almost always needs to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. The vet may also lance the abscess to drain the pus out. This is definitely not something you should attempt at home.

So yes, it does sound like something that requires vet care.

Hope all goes well!

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22516 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (40867 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9171 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (16490 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16291 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (19406 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4509 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6731 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11013 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (23784 views)