Possible elbow hygroma.

Breed: Mini Australian Shep
I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini australian shepard and weighs 15 pounds. It is on the back side of her front right leg right where the leg bends. It is about the size of a golf ball and very soft (almost feels like a sac of liquid). It doesn't seem to be hurting her and she doesn't notice when I touch it. She has been just as active as usual. What could this be?

Although I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, what you are describing sounds very much like something called an elbow hygroma.

You can find information about this type of condition, along with pictures, here.

If it is a hygroma I don't usually do much for these other than recommend trying to keep the dog off of hard floors. They usually will go away on their own. Owners usually don't like waiting and often ask for me to drain the lesion. However, other vets who have done this usually report that surgery causes more problems and doesn't heal well.

The one thing that doesn't fit with an elbow hygroma is that we usually see this on large breed dogs. However, there is not much else that causes a fluid filled area where you have described.

I would suggest that you keep an eye on it and I would recommend a vet visit if you see any of the following:
-limping on that leg
-if it is getting bothersome to Lilly
-if it is leaking at all
-if it is getting bigger or looking red

I hope that helps!

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7898 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (11066 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13272 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5851 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11707 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (155546 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (18031 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (110674 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (7054 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (10337 views)