Possible elbow hygroma.

Breed: Mini Australian Shep
I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini australian shepard and weighs 15 pounds. It is on the back side of her front right leg right where the leg bends. It is about the size of a golf ball and very soft (almost feels like a sac of liquid). It doesn't seem to be hurting her and she doesn't notice when I touch it. She has been just as active as usual. What could this be?

Although I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, what you are describing sounds very much like something called an elbow hygroma.

You can find information about this type of condition, along with pictures, here.

If it is a hygroma I don't usually do much for these other than recommend trying to keep the dog off of hard floors. They usually will go away on their own. Owners usually don't like waiting and often ask for me to drain the lesion. However, other vets who have done this usually report that surgery causes more problems and doesn't heal well.

The one thing that doesn't fit with an elbow hygroma is that we usually see this on large breed dogs. However, there is not much else that causes a fluid filled area where you have described.

I would suggest that you keep an eye on it and I would recommend a vet visit if you see any of the following:
-limping on that leg
-if it is getting bothersome to Lilly
-if it is leaking at all
-if it is getting bigger or looking red

I hope that helps!

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (10043 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (9898 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (6911 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16026 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (30660 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (14865 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (36661 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10629 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9217 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9350 views)