Possible elbow hygroma.

Breed: Mini Australian Shep
I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini australian shepard and weighs 15 pounds. It is on the back side of her front right leg right where the leg bends. It is about the size of a golf ball and very soft (almost feels like a sac of liquid). It doesn't seem to be hurting her and she doesn't notice when I touch it. She has been just as active as usual. What could this be?

Although I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, what you are describing sounds very much like something called an elbow hygroma.

You can find information about this type of condition, along with pictures, here.

If it is a hygroma I don't usually do much for these other than recommend trying to keep the dog off of hard floors. They usually will go away on their own. Owners usually don't like waiting and often ask for me to drain the lesion. However, other vets who have done this usually report that surgery causes more problems and doesn't heal well.

The one thing that doesn't fit with an elbow hygroma is that we usually see this on large breed dogs. However, there is not much else that causes a fluid filled area where you have described.

I would suggest that you keep an eye on it and I would recommend a vet visit if you see any of the following:
-limping on that leg
-if it is getting bothersome to Lilly
-if it is leaking at all
-if it is getting bigger or looking red

I hope that helps!

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (124933 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (15462 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (17318 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (26503 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (17106 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (12816 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (10647 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (6540 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (8770 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (37810 views)