Possible elbow hygroma.

Breed: Mini Australian Shep
I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini australian shepard and weighs 15 pounds. It is on the back side of her front right leg right where the leg bends. It is about the size of a golf ball and very soft (almost feels like a sac of liquid). It doesn't seem to be hurting her and she doesn't notice when I touch it. She has been just as active as usual. What could this be?

Although I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet, what you are describing sounds very much like something called an elbow hygroma.

You can find information about this type of condition, along with pictures, here.

If it is a hygroma I don't usually do much for these other than recommend trying to keep the dog off of hard floors. They usually will go away on their own. Owners usually don't like waiting and often ask for me to drain the lesion. However, other vets who have done this usually report that surgery causes more problems and doesn't heal well.

The one thing that doesn't fit with an elbow hygroma is that we usually see this on large breed dogs. However, there is not much else that causes a fluid filled area where you have described.

I would suggest that you keep an eye on it and I would recommend a vet visit if you see any of the following:
-limping on that leg
-if it is getting bothersome to Lilly
-if it is leaking at all
-if it is getting bigger or looking red

I hope that helps!

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (19580 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (11623 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (12861 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (16712 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (15111 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (10917 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (25342 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (10143 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (9085 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12979 views)