Gerbil's head exploded.

Breed: Gerbil
We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads exploded ... Do you know of this happening anywhere else as we cant seem to find an explanation for it? (This is a serious question) Thanks

I'm really sorry but I am not sure that I understand your question.

Were the gerbils housed together? If so, it is possible that the other gerbil attacked and killed him. Gerbils often don't get along well.

There is a condition called nasal dermatitis that can cause some quite severe deformations on the face of a gerbil. But there is no condition that I am aware of that can cause a gerbil's head to explode.

Sorry for your loss.

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (15888 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9295 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (13593 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8342 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19511 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12879 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (10866 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4443 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14601 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7580 views)