Puppy has red weepy eyes.

Breed: rack russell
my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot, i have tried dabbing them with tissue but it doesn't help, what should i do? thank you

Hi and thanks for your question! This is a little hard to answer without actually seeing Moomin's eyes.

If you are seeing just a clear discharge from the eyes then there may not be anything to be concerned about.

However, if you are seeing a gunky yellow or green discharge then this is likely an infection and needs to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Some dogs can sometimes have irritated eyes if they have a condition called entropion. This happens when an eyelid is rolling in and the hairs from the dog's face are poking into the eye. If this is happening, some dogs get better as they grow, but some will need surgery to correct it.

If you are seeing a large red swelling inside the lid of the eye this could be something called a cherry eye. These usually need surgery to be corrected but sometimes get better on their own.

If the puppy doesn't seem to be too bothered then it is ok to wait for a while. But, if there is squinting or if there is a green or yellow discharge then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope all is well!

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (9393 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (16623 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (10279 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (10081 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (13238 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4326 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (12760 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (10910 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7237 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (15226 views)