Puppy has red weepy eyes.

Breed: rack russell
my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot, i have tried dabbing them with tissue but it doesn't help, what should i do? thank you

Hi and thanks for your question! This is a little hard to answer without actually seeing Moomin's eyes.

If you are seeing just a clear discharge from the eyes then there may not be anything to be concerned about.

However, if you are seeing a gunky yellow or green discharge then this is likely an infection and needs to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Some dogs can sometimes have irritated eyes if they have a condition called entropion. This happens when an eyelid is rolling in and the hairs from the dog's face are poking into the eye. If this is happening, some dogs get better as they grow, but some will need surgery to correct it.

If you are seeing a large red swelling inside the lid of the eye this could be something called a cherry eye. These usually need surgery to be corrected but sometimes get better on their own.

If the puppy doesn't seem to be too bothered then it is ok to wait for a while. But, if there is squinting or if there is a green or yellow discharge then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope all is well!

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (8911 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10268 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (13404 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (13762 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (13264 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15161 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (7736 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (18887 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (42175 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (29693 views)