Puppy has red weepy eyes.

Breed: rack russell
my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot, i have tried dabbing them with tissue but it doesn't help, what should i do? thank you

Hi and thanks for your question! This is a little hard to answer without actually seeing Moomin's eyes.

If you are seeing just a clear discharge from the eyes then there may not be anything to be concerned about.

However, if you are seeing a gunky yellow or green discharge then this is likely an infection and needs to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Some dogs can sometimes have irritated eyes if they have a condition called entropion. This happens when an eyelid is rolling in and the hairs from the dog's face are poking into the eye. If this is happening, some dogs get better as they grow, but some will need surgery to correct it.

If you are seeing a large red swelling inside the lid of the eye this could be something called a cherry eye. These usually need surgery to be corrected but sometimes get better on their own.

If the puppy doesn't seem to be too bothered then it is ok to wait for a while. But, if there is squinting or if there is a green or yellow discharge then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope all is well!

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (31309 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12335 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8025 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (17302 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9987 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7082 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8646 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40868 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16876 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (5839 views)