Puppy has red weepy eyes.

Breed: rack russell
my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot, i have tried dabbing them with tissue but it doesn't help, what should i do? thank you

Hi and thanks for your question! This is a little hard to answer without actually seeing Moomin's eyes.

If you are seeing just a clear discharge from the eyes then there may not be anything to be concerned about.

However, if you are seeing a gunky yellow or green discharge then this is likely an infection and needs to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Some dogs can sometimes have irritated eyes if they have a condition called entropion. This happens when an eyelid is rolling in and the hairs from the dog's face are poking into the eye. If this is happening, some dogs get better as they grow, but some will need surgery to correct it.

If you are seeing a large red swelling inside the lid of the eye this could be something called a cherry eye. These usually need surgery to be corrected but sometimes get better on their own.

If the puppy doesn't seem to be too bothered then it is ok to wait for a while. But, if there is squinting or if there is a green or yellow discharge then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope all is well!

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11313 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6552 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (75549 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7767 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4879 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (28162 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10917 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (20064 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5689 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8674 views)