Puppy has red weepy eyes.

Breed: rack russell
my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot, i have tried dabbing them with tissue but it doesn't help, what should i do? thank you

Hi and thanks for your question! This is a little hard to answer without actually seeing Moomin's eyes.

If you are seeing just a clear discharge from the eyes then there may not be anything to be concerned about.

However, if you are seeing a gunky yellow or green discharge then this is likely an infection and needs to be treated with medication prescribed by the vet.

Some dogs can sometimes have irritated eyes if they have a condition called entropion. This happens when an eyelid is rolling in and the hairs from the dog's face are poking into the eye. If this is happening, some dogs get better as they grow, but some will need surgery to correct it.

If you are seeing a large red swelling inside the lid of the eye this could be something called a cherry eye. These usually need surgery to be corrected but sometimes get better on their own.

If the puppy doesn't seem to be too bothered then it is ok to wait for a while. But, if there is squinting or if there is a green or yellow discharge then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope all is well!

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (14544 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (65049 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (8607 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (11816 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (15683 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (13483 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (10792 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (13469 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (22794 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (26797 views)