Dog has a crooked tail.

Breed: Staffordshire Bull T
We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and doesn't look at all normal. Is there anyway to straighten it out, non surgically, or is surgery the only alternative. Not sure about that avenue, but would be interested in your opinion.

Have splinted her tail with limited success for two weeks. She is quite okay about having a splint on, but have wondered if i am wasting my time.

Thanks
Jackie

Hmmm...this is an interesting question. I'd love to see a picture of Bailey if this is possible for you. If you can get one, you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

There really isn't any surgery that can get a dog's tail to sit differently. Splinting is really not going to do anything.

If the tail was really bothersome to her the only thing I could think of doing is having it amputated. However, this is a really major surgery and I wouldn't go into this lightly.

So, this is probably something that she will need to live with!

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7977 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (13963 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (13534 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10223 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (64363 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (16697 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14498 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (38918 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (7742 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7334 views)