Lumps on dog's ear.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have been there for a week or so. They are not large at all. Two are about the size of a gnat and one is a little smaller than the circumference of a pea. They are not very swollen--just slightly raised. The smaller two are flesh colored and the larger is a little darker. They do not seem to cause him any discomfort.

He shakes his head quite a bit and always has. The vet has checked him for ear mites and infections on numerous occasions ad he has always been fine. He sneezes and as runny eyes, so she has attributed a lot of his scratching ad head shaking to environmental/outdoor allergies.

I know that lumps and bumps can be serious, but I hate to take him to the vet and find out it is dermatitis. Does this sound indicative of anything serious?

This is a really tough question to answer without being able to examine Rocky. Is there any way you could take photos of these lumps and send the photos to photos@askavetquestion.com? I can't give you a diagnosis online but seeing photos could help me determine whether or not you should be taking Rocky to the vet.

If not, that's ok. Just let me know and I can give you an idea of what types of things could cause lumps like this.

Thank you,

Sure. I will send the photos now.

Thank you,
Sherri

Thanks! That really helps. Here are two of the photos that you sent:

bumps on dog's ear

bumps on dog's ear

The first thing I must say is that I can't give you a diagnosis without actually seeing Rocky in person, but from what I can see on the photos I would not be too worried about these bumps. They look like they could be warts and would be nothing to be concerned about.

However, if any of them are getting much larger, red or bothersome then it is worthwhile to have him checked by his vet. It seems unlikely to me that these would be the cause of Rocky's itchy ears.

If they don't change much in size and don't bother him then I wouldn't make a special appointment for these but rather, the next time he is in to see the vet for something else I would have them check these.

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (14237 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (9695 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7325 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (5212 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (177767 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10627 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14722 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9304 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10440 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (7137 views)