Lumps on dog's ear.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have been there for a week or so. They are not large at all. Two are about the size of a gnat and one is a little smaller than the circumference of a pea. They are not very swollen--just slightly raised. The smaller two are flesh colored and the larger is a little darker. They do not seem to cause him any discomfort.

He shakes his head quite a bit and always has. The vet has checked him for ear mites and infections on numerous occasions ad he has always been fine. He sneezes and as runny eyes, so she has attributed a lot of his scratching ad head shaking to environmental/outdoor allergies.

I know that lumps and bumps can be serious, but I hate to take him to the vet and find out it is dermatitis. Does this sound indicative of anything serious?

This is a really tough question to answer without being able to examine Rocky. Is there any way you could take photos of these lumps and send the photos to photos@askavetquestion.com? I can't give you a diagnosis online but seeing photos could help me determine whether or not you should be taking Rocky to the vet.

If not, that's ok. Just let me know and I can give you an idea of what types of things could cause lumps like this.

Thank you,

Sure. I will send the photos now.

Thank you,
Sherri

Thanks! That really helps. Here are two of the photos that you sent:

bumps on dog's ear

bumps on dog's ear

The first thing I must say is that I can't give you a diagnosis without actually seeing Rocky in person, but from what I can see on the photos I would not be too worried about these bumps. They look like they could be warts and would be nothing to be concerned about.

However, if any of them are getting much larger, red or bothersome then it is worthwhile to have him checked by his vet. It seems unlikely to me that these would be the cause of Rocky's itchy ears.

If they don't change much in size and don't bother him then I wouldn't make a special appointment for these but rather, the next time he is in to see the vet for something else I would have them check these.

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (124404 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (56054 views)

Cat has high ALT. my cat was diagnosed with high alt liver enzyme and hi white blood cell count in... (33699 views)

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (16196 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (24970 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5974 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9015 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5959 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (14528 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (6577 views)