Lumps on dog's ear.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have been there for a week or so. They are not large at all. Two are about the size of a gnat and one is a little smaller than the circumference of a pea. They are not very swollen--just slightly raised. The smaller two are flesh colored and the larger is a little darker. They do not seem to cause him any discomfort.

He shakes his head quite a bit and always has. The vet has checked him for ear mites and infections on numerous occasions ad he has always been fine. He sneezes and as runny eyes, so she has attributed a lot of his scratching ad head shaking to environmental/outdoor allergies.

I know that lumps and bumps can be serious, but I hate to take him to the vet and find out it is dermatitis. Does this sound indicative of anything serious?

This is a really tough question to answer without being able to examine Rocky. Is there any way you could take photos of these lumps and send the photos to photos@askavetquestion.com? I can't give you a diagnosis online but seeing photos could help me determine whether or not you should be taking Rocky to the vet.

If not, that's ok. Just let me know and I can give you an idea of what types of things could cause lumps like this.

Thank you,

Sure. I will send the photos now.

Thank you,
Sherri

Thanks! That really helps. Here are two of the photos that you sent:

bumps on dog's ear

bumps on dog's ear

The first thing I must say is that I can't give you a diagnosis without actually seeing Rocky in person, but from what I can see on the photos I would not be too worried about these bumps. They look like they could be warts and would be nothing to be concerned about.

However, if any of them are getting much larger, red or bothersome then it is worthwhile to have him checked by his vet. It seems unlikely to me that these would be the cause of Rocky's itchy ears.

If they don't change much in size and don't bother him then I wouldn't make a special appointment for these but rather, the next time he is in to see the vet for something else I would have them check these.

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12096 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (11980 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11546 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (45392 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5649 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7555 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7290 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8733 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (19742 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (8014 views)