Lumps on dog's ear.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have been there for a week or so. They are not large at all. Two are about the size of a gnat and one is a little smaller than the circumference of a pea. They are not very swollen--just slightly raised. The smaller two are flesh colored and the larger is a little darker. They do not seem to cause him any discomfort.

He shakes his head quite a bit and always has. The vet has checked him for ear mites and infections on numerous occasions ad he has always been fine. He sneezes and as runny eyes, so she has attributed a lot of his scratching ad head shaking to environmental/outdoor allergies.

I know that lumps and bumps can be serious, but I hate to take him to the vet and find out it is dermatitis. Does this sound indicative of anything serious?

This is a really tough question to answer without being able to examine Rocky. Is there any way you could take photos of these lumps and send the photos to photos@askavetquestion.com? I can't give you a diagnosis online but seeing photos could help me determine whether or not you should be taking Rocky to the vet.

If not, that's ok. Just let me know and I can give you an idea of what types of things could cause lumps like this.

Thank you,

Sure. I will send the photos now.

Thank you,
Sherri

Thanks! That really helps. Here are two of the photos that you sent:

bumps on dog's ear

bumps on dog's ear

The first thing I must say is that I can't give you a diagnosis without actually seeing Rocky in person, but from what I can see on the photos I would not be too worried about these bumps. They look like they could be warts and would be nothing to be concerned about.

However, if any of them are getting much larger, red or bothersome then it is worthwhile to have him checked by his vet. It seems unlikely to me that these would be the cause of Rocky's itchy ears.

If they don't change much in size and don't bother him then I wouldn't make a special appointment for these but rather, the next time he is in to see the vet for something else I would have them check these.

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6463 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (8032 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13914 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (8071 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14738 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (7841 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13450 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8901 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5486 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (10593 views)