Lumps on dog's ear.

Breed: Chihuahua mix
Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have been there for a week or so. They are not large at all. Two are about the size of a gnat and one is a little smaller than the circumference of a pea. They are not very swollen--just slightly raised. The smaller two are flesh colored and the larger is a little darker. They do not seem to cause him any discomfort.

He shakes his head quite a bit and always has. The vet has checked him for ear mites and infections on numerous occasions ad he has always been fine. He sneezes and as runny eyes, so she has attributed a lot of his scratching ad head shaking to environmental/outdoor allergies.

I know that lumps and bumps can be serious, but I hate to take him to the vet and find out it is dermatitis. Does this sound indicative of anything serious?

This is a really tough question to answer without being able to examine Rocky. Is there any way you could take photos of these lumps and send the photos to photos@askavetquestion.com? I can't give you a diagnosis online but seeing photos could help me determine whether or not you should be taking Rocky to the vet.

If not, that's ok. Just let me know and I can give you an idea of what types of things could cause lumps like this.

Thank you,

Sure. I will send the photos now.

Thank you,
Sherri

Thanks! That really helps. Here are two of the photos that you sent:

bumps on dog's ear

bumps on dog's ear

The first thing I must say is that I can't give you a diagnosis without actually seeing Rocky in person, but from what I can see on the photos I would not be too worried about these bumps. They look like they could be warts and would be nothing to be concerned about.

However, if any of them are getting much larger, red or bothersome then it is worthwhile to have him checked by his vet. It seems unlikely to me that these would be the cause of Rocky's itchy ears.

If they don't change much in size and don't bother him then I wouldn't make a special appointment for these but rather, the next time he is in to see the vet for something else I would have them check these.

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (20649 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (5415 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (7060 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10870 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18337 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4947 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (37466 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (8664 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7405 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (25102 views)