Recipe for skunk odor.

Breed: Tabby
My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the smell.

Oh, not fun! I have had this happen to my animals several times!

By far the best thing for skunk odor is one of the commercial products that you can buy at the pet store or at the vet's office. However, often this happens at night time when everything is closed.

Here is a recipe that works quite well:

-1 quart (4 cups) hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1-2 tsp liquid dishsoap
-as much water as is necessary to soak the cat or dog.

Bathe the cat in this mixture and if possible let it stay on her for 5 minutes. Then, rinse her off. You want to be sure that none gets in her eyes.

Even with a good bath you will likely notice the smell periodically over the next few months, especially if she gets wet.

As a final note, do not use tomato juice! I see people do this all the time and all it does is make a big mess! It does not work.

I really hope the smell goes away soon!

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (28872 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (10405 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (9348 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (8329 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (79985 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (6189 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (8629 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (9447 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (23971 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9832 views)