Recipe for skunk odor.

Breed: Tabby
My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the smell.

Oh, not fun! I have had this happen to my animals several times!

By far the best thing for skunk odor is one of the commercial products that you can buy at the pet store or at the vet's office. However, often this happens at night time when everything is closed.

Here is a recipe that works quite well:

-1 quart (4 cups) hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1-2 tsp liquid dishsoap
-as much water as is necessary to soak the cat or dog.

Bathe the cat in this mixture and if possible let it stay on her for 5 minutes. Then, rinse her off. You want to be sure that none gets in her eyes.

Even with a good bath you will likely notice the smell periodically over the next few months, especially if she gets wet.

As a final note, do not use tomato juice! I see people do this all the time and all it does is make a big mess! It does not work.

I really hope the smell goes away soon!

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (11860 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14806 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9681 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (17291 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (26234 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9859 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15953 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (8579 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (8157 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9290 views)