Recipe for skunk odor.

Breed: Tabby
My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the smell.

Oh, not fun! I have had this happen to my animals several times!

By far the best thing for skunk odor is one of the commercial products that you can buy at the pet store or at the vet's office. However, often this happens at night time when everything is closed.

Here is a recipe that works quite well:

-1 quart (4 cups) hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1-2 tsp liquid dishsoap
-as much water as is necessary to soak the cat or dog.

Bathe the cat in this mixture and if possible let it stay on her for 5 minutes. Then, rinse her off. You want to be sure that none gets in her eyes.

Even with a good bath you will likely notice the smell periodically over the next few months, especially if she gets wet.

As a final note, do not use tomato juice! I see people do this all the time and all it does is make a big mess! It does not work.

I really hope the smell goes away soon!

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (7172 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (12573 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (30445 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (3409 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (27776 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (3705 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (9275 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (90784 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (2116 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (25677 views)