Recipe for skunk odor.

Breed: Tabby
My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the smell.

Oh, not fun! I have had this happen to my animals several times!

By far the best thing for skunk odor is one of the commercial products that you can buy at the pet store or at the vet's office. However, often this happens at night time when everything is closed.

Here is a recipe that works quite well:

-1 quart (4 cups) hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1-2 tsp liquid dishsoap
-as much water as is necessary to soak the cat or dog.

Bathe the cat in this mixture and if possible let it stay on her for 5 minutes. Then, rinse her off. You want to be sure that none gets in her eyes.

Even with a good bath you will likely notice the smell periodically over the next few months, especially if she gets wet.

As a final note, do not use tomato juice! I see people do this all the time and all it does is make a big mess! It does not work.

I really hope the smell goes away soon!

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (165914 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (67828 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (34114 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (32137 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (3498 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (4080 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (12272 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (11653 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (5042 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (10222 views)