Recipe for skunk odor.

Breed: Tabby
My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the smell.

Oh, not fun! I have had this happen to my animals several times!

By far the best thing for skunk odor is one of the commercial products that you can buy at the pet store or at the vet's office. However, often this happens at night time when everything is closed.

Here is a recipe that works quite well:

-1 quart (4 cups) hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1-2 tsp liquid dishsoap
-as much water as is necessary to soak the cat or dog.

Bathe the cat in this mixture and if possible let it stay on her for 5 minutes. Then, rinse her off. You want to be sure that none gets in her eyes.

Even with a good bath you will likely notice the smell periodically over the next few months, especially if she gets wet.

As a final note, do not use tomato juice! I see people do this all the time and all it does is make a big mess! It does not work.

I really hope the smell goes away soon!

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13325 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5239 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (23891 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (22690 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (15258 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21973 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (299338 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9739 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43673 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (15041 views)