Recipe for skunk odor.

Breed: Tabby
My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the smell.

Oh, not fun! I have had this happen to my animals several times!

By far the best thing for skunk odor is one of the commercial products that you can buy at the pet store or at the vet's office. However, often this happens at night time when everything is closed.

Here is a recipe that works quite well:

-1 quart (4 cups) hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1-2 tsp liquid dishsoap
-as much water as is necessary to soak the cat or dog.

Bathe the cat in this mixture and if possible let it stay on her for 5 minutes. Then, rinse her off. You want to be sure that none gets in her eyes.

Even with a good bath you will likely notice the smell periodically over the next few months, especially if she gets wet.

As a final note, do not use tomato juice! I see people do this all the time and all it does is make a big mess! It does not work.

I really hope the smell goes away soon!

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (14722 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (28404 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7919 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (11499 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (11453 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (32003 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (16041 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (38097 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (18243 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (16305 views)