Chaning cat's thyroid medication.

Breed: Turkish van
Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago. He is on transdermal Methimazole twice a day. For the first 30 days he was on 2.5 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. Afterwards he was on 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. He was like this for month and a half. Than I squirted little to much if the cream. I gived 2.5 mg at the morning at night and 2.5 mg in the evening for three days to make up for the lost cream and than I went back to 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 at night. Have I done damage to my cat? After three days on the increased dosage again he was constipated. Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question. It's very unlikely that you have done any harm to Sindibad by altering his medication dose for a few days. In order to see a significant change in thyroid values, he would have to be on a different dose for well over a week. A mild change like this that just lasted a few days really would not have done much. Now, if you had kept him on 2.5mg twice daily for several weeks (when his does was supposed to be 3.75mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night) then it's possible that he could still be showing some symptoms of hyperthryoidism. But again, just a few days really should not make a difference.

It is also very unlikely that the constipation is due to the dosage change. Having an increased thyroid level (which is what theoretically could happen when medication dose is reduced), if anything, usually causes diarrhea. Now, in very chronic cases, high thyroid levels can lead to kidney problems and kidney problems can lead to dehydration which can in turn lead to constipation. But again, this is not going to happen after just a few days of medication change.

Constipation in an older cat is a very serious matter. If he is still having trouble having a bowel movement then I would have your vet take a look. Sindibad may need to have an enema. Or, the vet may want to be testing him for underlying kidney problems.

I hope things work out ok!

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (15589 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14490 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67272 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10756 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5752 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11469 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (10379 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11955 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (8132 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (22387 views)