Chaning cat's thyroid medication.

Breed: Turkish van
Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago. He is on transdermal Methimazole twice a day. For the first 30 days he was on 2.5 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. Afterwards he was on 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. He was like this for month and a half. Than I squirted little to much if the cream. I gived 2.5 mg at the morning at night and 2.5 mg in the evening for three days to make up for the lost cream and than I went back to 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 at night. Have I done damage to my cat? After three days on the increased dosage again he was constipated. Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question. It's very unlikely that you have done any harm to Sindibad by altering his medication dose for a few days. In order to see a significant change in thyroid values, he would have to be on a different dose for well over a week. A mild change like this that just lasted a few days really would not have done much. Now, if you had kept him on 2.5mg twice daily for several weeks (when his does was supposed to be 3.75mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night) then it's possible that he could still be showing some symptoms of hyperthryoidism. But again, just a few days really should not make a difference.

It is also very unlikely that the constipation is due to the dosage change. Having an increased thyroid level (which is what theoretically could happen when medication dose is reduced), if anything, usually causes diarrhea. Now, in very chronic cases, high thyroid levels can lead to kidney problems and kidney problems can lead to dehydration which can in turn lead to constipation. But again, this is not going to happen after just a few days of medication change.

Constipation in an older cat is a very serious matter. If he is still having trouble having a bowel movement then I would have your vet take a look. Sindibad may need to have an enema. Or, the vet may want to be testing him for underlying kidney problems.

I hope things work out ok!

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6780 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (16613 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (10805 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (30796 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11876 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (5372 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (20015 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (17719 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9570 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (12247 views)