Chaning cat's thyroid medication.

Breed: Turkish van
Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago. He is on transdermal Methimazole twice a day. For the first 30 days he was on 2.5 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. Afterwards he was on 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. He was like this for month and a half. Than I squirted little to much if the cream. I gived 2.5 mg at the morning at night and 2.5 mg in the evening for three days to make up for the lost cream and than I went back to 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 at night. Have I done damage to my cat? After three days on the increased dosage again he was constipated. Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question. It's very unlikely that you have done any harm to Sindibad by altering his medication dose for a few days. In order to see a significant change in thyroid values, he would have to be on a different dose for well over a week. A mild change like this that just lasted a few days really would not have done much. Now, if you had kept him on 2.5mg twice daily for several weeks (when his does was supposed to be 3.75mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night) then it's possible that he could still be showing some symptoms of hyperthryoidism. But again, just a few days really should not make a difference.

It is also very unlikely that the constipation is due to the dosage change. Having an increased thyroid level (which is what theoretically could happen when medication dose is reduced), if anything, usually causes diarrhea. Now, in very chronic cases, high thyroid levels can lead to kidney problems and kidney problems can lead to dehydration which can in turn lead to constipation. But again, this is not going to happen after just a few days of medication change.

Constipation in an older cat is a very serious matter. If he is still having trouble having a bowel movement then I would have your vet take a look. Sindibad may need to have an enema. Or, the vet may want to be testing him for underlying kidney problems.

I hope things work out ok!

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (10588 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (14640 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (5685 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (20068 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6951 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6793 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (17925 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8218 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (13876 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (9617 views)