Chaning cat's thyroid medication.

Breed: Turkish van
Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago. He is on transdermal Methimazole twice a day. For the first 30 days he was on 2.5 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. Afterwards he was on 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 mg at night. He was like this for month and a half. Than I squirted little to much if the cream. I gived 2.5 mg at the morning at night and 2.5 mg in the evening for three days to make up for the lost cream and than I went back to 3.75 mg morning and 2.5 at night. Have I done damage to my cat? After three days on the increased dosage again he was constipated. Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question. It's very unlikely that you have done any harm to Sindibad by altering his medication dose for a few days. In order to see a significant change in thyroid values, he would have to be on a different dose for well over a week. A mild change like this that just lasted a few days really would not have done much. Now, if you had kept him on 2.5mg twice daily for several weeks (when his does was supposed to be 3.75mg in the morning and 2.5 mg at night) then it's possible that he could still be showing some symptoms of hyperthryoidism. But again, just a few days really should not make a difference.

It is also very unlikely that the constipation is due to the dosage change. Having an increased thyroid level (which is what theoretically could happen when medication dose is reduced), if anything, usually causes diarrhea. Now, in very chronic cases, high thyroid levels can lead to kidney problems and kidney problems can lead to dehydration which can in turn lead to constipation. But again, this is not going to happen after just a few days of medication change.

Constipation in an older cat is a very serious matter. If he is still having trouble having a bowel movement then I would have your vet take a look. Sindibad may need to have an enema. Or, the vet may want to be testing him for underlying kidney problems.

I hope things work out ok!

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (10438 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6363 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17856 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11107 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (18905 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (23632 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (9196 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13956 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19211 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16930 views)