Tumor behind eye.

Breed: shi_tzu
hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl suddenly went blind,mollys vet diaagnosed an undetermined mass,without mri(£1500) it remains undiagnosed,is it possible for a dog to live its full lifespan with this? could this mass have done all the damage its ever gonna do?.thank you charlene.

Hi Charlene. Thanks for your kind words.

I'm sorry to hear that Molly was diagnosed with a mass.

Your question is a tough one to answer though because there are many variables.

The best case scenario is that this is a benign mass. If this is the case, it could affect her vision but possibly do no more harm. That would be great news.

But it could also be a slow growing benign mass. This would mean that it wouldn't be likely to spread and cause cancer elsewhere, but as it grows it will cause more problems for the eye. If this is the case, Molly may need to have the eye surgically removed. That is not a huge deal, but it can be expensive.

And then it is possible that this is a more aggressive type of cancer. Unfortunately it will not be possible to know without doing a biopsy. Doing a biopsy on a mass behind the eye is not an easy thing.

At this point, your vet will probably take Molly's case day by day and basically deal with new symptoms as they come up. Hopefully she will do fine!

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14398 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (7143 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (11983 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (9248 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (5689 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (14763 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (14946 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (56789 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (5481 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (8257 views)