Tumor behind eye.

Breed: shi_tzu
hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl suddenly went blind,mollys vet diaagnosed an undetermined mass,without mri(£1500) it remains undiagnosed,is it possible for a dog to live its full lifespan with this? could this mass have done all the damage its ever gonna do?.thank you charlene.

Hi Charlene. Thanks for your kind words.

I'm sorry to hear that Molly was diagnosed with a mass.

Your question is a tough one to answer though because there are many variables.

The best case scenario is that this is a benign mass. If this is the case, it could affect her vision but possibly do no more harm. That would be great news.

But it could also be a slow growing benign mass. This would mean that it wouldn't be likely to spread and cause cancer elsewhere, but as it grows it will cause more problems for the eye. If this is the case, Molly may need to have the eye surgically removed. That is not a huge deal, but it can be expensive.

And then it is possible that this is a more aggressive type of cancer. Unfortunately it will not be possible to know without doing a biopsy. Doing a biopsy on a mass behind the eye is not an easy thing.

At this point, your vet will probably take Molly's case day by day and basically deal with new symptoms as they come up. Hopefully she will do fine!

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10748 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10132 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9455 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6589 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (6496 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (12051 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (31234 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (17255 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (8760 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5912 views)