Tumor behind eye.

Breed: shi_tzu
hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl suddenly went blind,mollys vet diaagnosed an undetermined mass,without mri(£1500) it remains undiagnosed,is it possible for a dog to live its full lifespan with this? could this mass have done all the damage its ever gonna do?.thank you charlene.

Hi Charlene. Thanks for your kind words.

I'm sorry to hear that Molly was diagnosed with a mass.

Your question is a tough one to answer though because there are many variables.

The best case scenario is that this is a benign mass. If this is the case, it could affect her vision but possibly do no more harm. That would be great news.

But it could also be a slow growing benign mass. This would mean that it wouldn't be likely to spread and cause cancer elsewhere, but as it grows it will cause more problems for the eye. If this is the case, Molly may need to have the eye surgically removed. That is not a huge deal, but it can be expensive.

And then it is possible that this is a more aggressive type of cancer. Unfortunately it will not be possible to know without doing a biopsy. Doing a biopsy on a mass behind the eye is not an easy thing.

At this point, your vet will probably take Molly's case day by day and basically deal with new symptoms as they come up. Hopefully she will do fine!

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8672 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7711 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15665 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10455 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42076 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7353 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5981 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (39518 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12194 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10096 views)