Tumor behind eye.

Breed: shi_tzu
hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl suddenly went blind,mollys vet diaagnosed an undetermined mass,without mri(£1500) it remains undiagnosed,is it possible for a dog to live its full lifespan with this? could this mass have done all the damage its ever gonna do?.thank you charlene.

Hi Charlene. Thanks for your kind words.

I'm sorry to hear that Molly was diagnosed with a mass.

Your question is a tough one to answer though because there are many variables.

The best case scenario is that this is a benign mass. If this is the case, it could affect her vision but possibly do no more harm. That would be great news.

But it could also be a slow growing benign mass. This would mean that it wouldn't be likely to spread and cause cancer elsewhere, but as it grows it will cause more problems for the eye. If this is the case, Molly may need to have the eye surgically removed. That is not a huge deal, but it can be expensive.

And then it is possible that this is a more aggressive type of cancer. Unfortunately it will not be possible to know without doing a biopsy. Doing a biopsy on a mass behind the eye is not an easy thing.

At this point, your vet will probably take Molly's case day by day and basically deal with new symptoms as they come up. Hopefully she will do fine!

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13849 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My Dog Was Lost For 2 days and i found him 12-11-10 at 4pm curled up in a ball... (9608 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (19351 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (14540 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15738 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (11398 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13688 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (16106 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (17911 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (10084 views)