Vomiting Golden Retriever.

Breed: Golden Retriever
I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. The vomit consists of a white foamy substance, that almost looks like a sac or even a sock. She hacks a bit and then just vomits. She seems to vomit up everything she takes in, within about an hour or so, irregardless of what it is. We hadn't changed her diet at all recently, although I did try giving her an antacid this morning mixed in some rice and hamburger. Also, she does seem to be having normal bowel movements.

Just a little history here -- she is a large dog, weighing approximately 120 lbs and has always (for the last several years) had a distended belly. She has been on a diet of 1 cup of dry dog food, twice a day, for about the last 2 years, with little to no weight loss. She has not been a very active dog since her surgery for pyometra, three years ago. Also, immediately after the surgery she developed seizures. To control that, she is currently on 243mg of phenobarbital twice per day, as well as potassium bromide.

I took her to the vet today and he ran some blood work. He found that her ALP was "very high," although he didn't give me the exact value, however, all of the other values (thyroid, WBC, RBC, etc) were completely normal and she was not running a fever. We left with her being given a healthy dose of antibiotics. He called tonight with the bloodwork findings, saying that this could be the result of any number of things and that the next step is to go to a regional diagnostic pet hospital for further evaluation.

My concern, is the unnecessary wear on my dog. Things haven't been easy for her since the onset of seizures, although they are under control now. I don't want to put her through unnecessary testing and pain, just to find out there's no hope. How concerned should I be here? I am worried that we may to put her down. What are your thoughts? Do you have any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks for your question. This is a really tough question to answer because I can think of a great number of conditions that could be causing Kaylee to vomit. Some are serious and some are not. Unfortunately you may not be able to tell the difference between these conditions without doing more tests.

You mentioned that she hacks a bit and then vomits. I have seen some dogs where the owner thought that they were vomiting, but in reality they were coughing to the point of retching. You may want to ask your vet if there is a possibility that Kaylee has a virus like kennel cough. If this is the case then she may just get over it on her own in a few more days. Or, the vet can prescribe a cough suppressant such as hycodan.

Kennel cough wouldn't cause a high ALP. But, many dogs will just have a high ALP so this could just be normal for her.

It could also be a mild gastritis (upset stomach). Often we don't know the cause of this.

Pancreatitis is another possibility which would be more serious. But if she is eating then this is less likely.

Any time a Golden is vomiting I wonder about a foreign object as many of them like to eat things that they shouldn't. This is why one of the next steps, if she is not getting better, is to have xrays done. Hopefully it is not a foreign object because she may need surgery if it is.

Some of the more serious causes for vomiting like kidney disease or liver disease should cause us to see more changes in the bloodwork.

The other fear that I have with Goldens is for some type of cancer as this breed can be more prone to cancer. However, sudden vomiting is not usually a sign of cancer. I would usually expect to see just a slow decline and lack of appetite and weight loss. This makes me think that cancer is less likely.

It sounds like your vet is doing the same things that I would do. I think that if she is not improving then having some xrays done would be a good next step. And again, I think it's worthwhile to ask your vet if kennel cough is possible. You can read more information here about kennel cough. That article also includes videos of coughing dogs that you can compare to see if Kaylee is doing anything similar.

I hope things improve soon!

Dr. Marie,

I spoke with my vet and he expressed the concern that Kaylee may have had esophagus paralysis. Yesterday she perked right up. I don't know what the cause of the issue was, but she seems to be doing a lot better. She does still have a little bit of a cough here or there, mainly when she goes upstairs, etc., but overall she seems back to normal. I don't know if it was just a flu or what. I mean, she had vomit coming out her nose and her eyes were running. She stopped eating and would throw up no what she took in (water, food, etc). Today, she seems fine, although acting a bit ravaged. She is very hungry. Do you think that this was all just a flu or cough and that the antibiotics cured it? I don't want to have false hope here, but it's crazy thinking that the vet was suggesting that we may need to put her down two days ago and now she seems normal.

Any help would be great!

Thank you,

Andrea

Interesting. I can't say that I have ever seen a dog with esophageal paralysis.

However, if she is improving this really does make it sound like it was some sort of viral thing. I am still guessing that this was kennel cough but your vet obviously has a better vantage point than I do.

I hope she continues to improve!

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (76669 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6827 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (34900 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (9765 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4638 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (27656 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (4939 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6372 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (16624 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26005 views)