14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss

Breed: pomeranian
I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting(yellow) 2-3 times a day, huge amount of weight loss, also lost appetite, he feels depressed and also extremely weak and also experiencing some pain in his stomach. Vet had him on drips twice a day but there is no improvement in his condition. now his belly is also swollen. After the X ray, it looks like he is suffering from inflammatory bowel disease. There is only one vet in our area and clearly he is not been able to cure him even in 20 days. I request you to kindly recommend me some medications to cure this things.

Sorry to hear that Ivee is having problems.

I am concerned about the symptoms that you have described. Any time I have an older animal who is losing a large amount of weight I get concerned about serious diseases like cancer.

If he has a swollen abdomen then this is usually due to either fluid or a tumor. Do you know if your vet has done an aspirate (put a needle into the abdomen) to determine if there is fluid present? Fluid is usually a sign of either serious liver disease or cancer.

While it is hard for me to say without actually seeing Ivee, what you are describing sounds like something more serious than inflammatory bowel disease. IBD should not cause the abdomen to be swollen. I am wondering if your vet is suspecting a cancer in the bowels rather than IBD.

Does your vet have access to ultrasound? This may tell us more than an xray especially if we are looking for cancer.

Another thing to consider would be to have your vet do an exploratory surgery to determine if there is cancer there. If there is no cancer then they could take biopsies of the intestines to determine what is going on. Obviously this route would be expensive though.

In cases where I am suspicious of inflammation in the intestines, if surgery is not an option I will often prescribe prednisone which is a steroid which helps with inflammation. If there is cancer it often helps with this as well, but only temporarily.

I wish I could give you more hope or treatment options but what you described does not sound good.

Thanks for your advice on Ivee. I just want to inform you that Ivee passed away 3 weeks ago. The Vet diagnosed the case of interception of intestines and the age of 14, it was unoperable. And now i just brought home a german shepherd puppy(EDDIE). The mother when the puppies were 3 days old. Eddie is now 4 weeks old. He doing great. From last 2 days, i noticed some change of color around his penis area, it turned slightly blue, but there is nothing in his urine and also this is not caused by any bruise. Is it normal for a 4 week old puppy to change its skin color around that particular area and suddenly his breath started smelling really bad. Is it natural at this age????

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (7938 views)

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (14209 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7000 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (6235 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4003 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (4531 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (24960 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (16052 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (23924 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (8372 views)