14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss

Breed: pomeranian
I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting(yellow) 2-3 times a day, huge amount of weight loss, also lost appetite, he feels depressed and also extremely weak and also experiencing some pain in his stomach. Vet had him on drips twice a day but there is no improvement in his condition. now his belly is also swollen. After the X ray, it looks like he is suffering from inflammatory bowel disease. There is only one vet in our area and clearly he is not been able to cure him even in 20 days. I request you to kindly recommend me some medications to cure this things.

Sorry to hear that Ivee is having problems.

I am concerned about the symptoms that you have described. Any time I have an older animal who is losing a large amount of weight I get concerned about serious diseases like cancer.

If he has a swollen abdomen then this is usually due to either fluid or a tumor. Do you know if your vet has done an aspirate (put a needle into the abdomen) to determine if there is fluid present? Fluid is usually a sign of either serious liver disease or cancer.

While it is hard for me to say without actually seeing Ivee, what you are describing sounds like something more serious than inflammatory bowel disease. IBD should not cause the abdomen to be swollen. I am wondering if your vet is suspecting a cancer in the bowels rather than IBD.

Does your vet have access to ultrasound? This may tell us more than an xray especially if we are looking for cancer.

Another thing to consider would be to have your vet do an exploratory surgery to determine if there is cancer there. If there is no cancer then they could take biopsies of the intestines to determine what is going on. Obviously this route would be expensive though.

In cases where I am suspicious of inflammation in the intestines, if surgery is not an option I will often prescribe prednisone which is a steroid which helps with inflammation. If there is cancer it often helps with this as well, but only temporarily.

I wish I could give you more hope or treatment options but what you described does not sound good.

Thanks for your advice on Ivee. I just want to inform you that Ivee passed away 3 weeks ago. The Vet diagnosed the case of interception of intestines and the age of 14, it was unoperable. And now i just brought home a german shepherd puppy(EDDIE). The mother when the puppies were 3 days old. Eddie is now 4 weeks old. He doing great. From last 2 days, i noticed some change of color around his penis area, it turned slightly blue, but there is nothing in his urine and also this is not caused by any bruise. Is it normal for a 4 week old puppy to change its skin color around that particular area and suddenly his breath started smelling really bad. Is it natural at this age????

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (7441 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (18818 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11675 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12580 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (16886 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (32197 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (17074 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10522 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16999 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (15834 views)