Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9453 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (10263 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7718 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (86219 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (14739 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (11263 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (7238 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (45735 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7713 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (21306 views)