Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (19212 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (9251 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (11567 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (16451 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (13941 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (18170 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (9500 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (61205 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (27922 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (13303 views)