Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10266 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (14334 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (16431 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7736 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (13680 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (78620 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (16497 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8782 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (23932 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11375 views)