Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (11257 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (7814 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (259096 views)

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (7734 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16236 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33278 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7500 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10660 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6446 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7788 views)