Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (20577 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8753 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (71860 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (12198 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (30024 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (8298 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (48244 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (58848 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12569 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (9695 views)