Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15931 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (20368 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (149857 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (10753 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (5084 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11688 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22968 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10712 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (12558 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (72213 views)