Hair loss around eyes.

Breed: Maltese
Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the same food. I read about mites but my vet said if it were mites he would be losing hair in patches all over and instead wants to give him steroids for allergies. Is this true that it has to be all over the body for mites?

This is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without actually seeing Koko, but I can give you a few ideas.

Do you know if your vet did a skin scraping to look for demodex mites? Sometimes demodex can cause hair loss just around the eyes.

If the skin around the eyes is quite irritated then an allergy is certainly possible.

Another possibility is ringworm which is a fungal infection, but it is not normal to see it just around the eyes.

It certainly won't hurt to try the steroids and see how things go. Otherwise if things are not improving your vet may need to do a few tests to figure out what is going on.

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (27022 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10432 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (4719 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11301 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (18996 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (43080 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12284 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8665 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (10843 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (9354 views)