Does parvo affect sperm?

Breed: Boarder Collie
My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo even though he had all his shots. My question is this, does the virus have any long term affects on a male dog's sperm? I can't find any answers on the Internet regarding the affects of Parvo virus on a male dog's sperm. Will the puppies he father's have any known problems after birth that can be traced back to the Parvo virus? Will his puppies have any birth defects because of the Parvo virus?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roberta

Are you absolutely sure that Moose had parvo virus before? It is really uncommon for a dog with a full set of vaccines to get parvo.

Even still, parvo virus will not have an effect on a dog's sperm.

When a dog is fighting parvo their sperm production can be decreased because of the stress on the immune system. But there are no lasting effects.

Keep in mind though that there can be parvo in the environment for some time.

Click here for more .

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (15905 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (7601 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (5194 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (7698 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (7888 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (7777 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (7697 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (6018 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (7765 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (6020 views)