Does parvo affect sperm?

Breed: Boarder Collie
My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo even though he had all his shots. My question is this, does the virus have any long term affects on a male dog's sperm? I can't find any answers on the Internet regarding the affects of Parvo virus on a male dog's sperm. Will the puppies he father's have any known problems after birth that can be traced back to the Parvo virus? Will his puppies have any birth defects because of the Parvo virus?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roberta

Are you absolutely sure that Moose had parvo virus before? It is really uncommon for a dog with a full set of vaccines to get parvo.

Even still, parvo virus will not have an effect on a dog's sperm.

When a dog is fighting parvo their sperm production can be decreased because of the stress on the immune system. But there are no lasting effects.

Keep in mind though that there can be parvo in the environment for some time.

Click here for more .

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (7709 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (3657 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (27155 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8019 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (7394 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (3929 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (14307 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (6432 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (7366 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (4828 views)