Does parvo affect sperm?

Breed: Boarder Collie
My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo even though he had all his shots. My question is this, does the virus have any long term affects on a male dog's sperm? I can't find any answers on the Internet regarding the affects of Parvo virus on a male dog's sperm. Will the puppies he father's have any known problems after birth that can be traced back to the Parvo virus? Will his puppies have any birth defects because of the Parvo virus?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roberta

Are you absolutely sure that Moose had parvo virus before? It is really uncommon for a dog with a full set of vaccines to get parvo.

Even still, parvo virus will not have an effect on a dog's sperm.

When a dog is fighting parvo their sperm production can be decreased because of the stress on the immune system. But there are no lasting effects.

Keep in mind though that there can be parvo in the environment for some time.

Click here for more .

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (27588 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4942 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (10350 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (5214 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (13041 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12765 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4569 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22214 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7745 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (17108 views)