Does parvo affect sperm?

Breed: Boarder Collie
My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo even though he had all his shots. My question is this, does the virus have any long term affects on a male dog's sperm? I can't find any answers on the Internet regarding the affects of Parvo virus on a male dog's sperm. Will the puppies he father's have any known problems after birth that can be traced back to the Parvo virus? Will his puppies have any birth defects because of the Parvo virus?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roberta

Are you absolutely sure that Moose had parvo virus before? It is really uncommon for a dog with a full set of vaccines to get parvo.

Even still, parvo virus will not have an effect on a dog's sperm.

When a dog is fighting parvo their sperm production can be decreased because of the stress on the immune system. But there are no lasting effects.

Keep in mind though that there can be parvo in the environment for some time.

Click here for more .

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (8666 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16157 views)

Pale stool and orange urine. Last Saturday night, my dog's stool started looking strange. Pale and very soft,... (7025 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (11973 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9960 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8110 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (19315 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (18138 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (5530 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (33584 views)