Does parvo affect sperm?

Breed: Boarder Collie
My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo even though he had all his shots. My question is this, does the virus have any long term affects on a male dog's sperm? I can't find any answers on the Internet regarding the affects of Parvo virus on a male dog's sperm. Will the puppies he father's have any known problems after birth that can be traced back to the Parvo virus? Will his puppies have any birth defects because of the Parvo virus?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roberta

Are you absolutely sure that Moose had parvo virus before? It is really uncommon for a dog with a full set of vaccines to get parvo.

Even still, parvo virus will not have an effect on a dog's sperm.

When a dog is fighting parvo their sperm production can be decreased because of the stress on the immune system. But there are no lasting effects.

Keep in mind though that there can be parvo in the environment for some time.

Click here for more .

---This question was asked in our
Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (11399 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (58829 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (10013 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (26692 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7881 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (15541 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (9340 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (67021 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (18487 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (8164 views)