Lump on hamster near leg.

Breed: Robovoski Dwarf Hams
Hi,

My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She has had the lump for about 2 months and its gettin bigger over a period of time.
Today, she started bitting it and trying to remove it with her mouth and hands. She has removed a little bit aand it has now turned a little red. She also runs round in a circle bitting it like a dog chasing its tail, which is kind of odd.
It costs a fortune to go to the vets where we live and she is quite old in hamster years. I don't know what to do. Im really worried and love her so much.
Please help me by anwsering my questions below and telling me more about it.

What is the lump? How do I remove it? Why is she Bitting it?

Sorry to hear that Daisy is having problems.

I do get concerned when I hear about a hamster having a lump. It's hard to say what it is without seeing Daisy but I'm worried that it could be a cancerous tumor.

If the lump is partly on her belly or front of her chest then it is likely a mammary tumor. Some of these are malignant (i.e. can spread to other areas) and some are benign. However, if it is starting to bother her and she is biting at it then this is not a good sign.

There really is no way for you to remove it. If this were my case I may possibly try some antibiotics to see if that helps with any secondary infection. However, you definitely would need to see your vet for that.

If it is really bothersome to her it may be time to consider euthanasia. In some vet offices they will do pocket pet euthanasia for a reduced fee as compared to cats and dogs.

I wish I could offer you more advice on how to help.

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9143 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (4828 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (22662 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9580 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14269 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11106 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (13641 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9213 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6670 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8337 views)