Cat falling over.

Breed: house cat (not sure
for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he walks it seems like he's walking on his tippy toes at the back, and his back is arched. If he tries to bed down to eat or drink he falls over, so I have to hold water or food up to him so he can eat and drink. I don't have money to take him to a vet. Can you give me a clue to whats wrong with him?

Sorry to hear that Zoe is having problems. This is an unusual situation.

It definitely sounds like there is a neurological problem here.

Whenever I see an older animal with neurological issues I get worried about a tumor affecting the brain. Or, it could be that there is a benign polyp that is affecting the inner ear.

Another possibility is an inner ear infection.

It is also possible that there is a spinal problem such as arthritis going on.

There is a problem called vestibular disease that can affect animals but it is not common in cats. Vestibular disease is a condition that cats can recover from. If this is the case you should see a gradual improvement each day.

Whatever the case, it sounds like he is quite uncomfortable and really needs a vet visit. There is no over the counter medicine or at home treatment that I can recommend.

I hope he is ok!

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24198 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (15194 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5303 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7958 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (11828 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (19331 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5772 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (90509 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (8860 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16412 views)