Dog skin allergies.

Breed: Blue Belton English
My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear mites and at the same time started to lose fur around his neck. We brought him to vet who put him on two types of pills, pink ones every 24 hours for 3 weeks and big orange ones 2.5 every 12 hours (60 total). We washed his beeding with hot water only, no perfumes in the house, removed his collar and only washed him 1-2 times over a month or two with oatmeal shampoo. He was good while on pills. Now we notices he is scratching a lot now and between his toes are getting sore, although i was them out afraid it might be dirt from the marsh he runs on weekends while hunting. now he is always cleaning his feet and are making them sore... any suggestions what may triggered this or what I can do? I have an apointment again with the vet next week but it didnt help the last time.

Thanks

PS we feed him fish food thought it might help his skin.

Sorry to hear that Killick is having skin problems.

It's always hard to talk about skin problems without seeing the dog but I have a few thoughts on what you have written.

It sounds like the medications your vet has given are Cephalexin (an antibiotic) and Temaril-P (also known as Vanectyl-P). The Temaril-P is a combination of a steroid and and antihistamine.

So, it sounds like your vet is treating him for suspected allergies. Often, it's hard to know what a dog is allergic to. In the fall, in my area, many dogs have seasonal allergies to things like ragweed or other plants. Often when dogs have allergies they need to stay on the steroid/antihistamine until allergy season is over. For some dogs this means getting a good frost and for others it can mean when we get a good snowfall. I will have dogs on medication given every other day during allergy season.

What you have described with itchiness between the toes is very common with allergies as well.

It sounds like it is a good idea to have another vet visit. The vet will determine if there is still any infection present and whether or not to stay on antibiotics. (Sometimes skin infections need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up). And then they will decide if he needs to stay on the steroids for a while longer.

If the vet is suspicious of food allergies they may talk to you about a trial of hypoallergenic food as well.

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (10462 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6208 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (10468 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (20652 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (17448 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (12246 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (12532 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (4859 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (8608 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (14776 views)