Dog skin allergies.

Breed: Blue Belton English
My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear mites and at the same time started to lose fur around his neck. We brought him to vet who put him on two types of pills, pink ones every 24 hours for 3 weeks and big orange ones 2.5 every 12 hours (60 total). We washed his beeding with hot water only, no perfumes in the house, removed his collar and only washed him 1-2 times over a month or two with oatmeal shampoo. He was good while on pills. Now we notices he is scratching a lot now and between his toes are getting sore, although i was them out afraid it might be dirt from the marsh he runs on weekends while hunting. now he is always cleaning his feet and are making them sore... any suggestions what may triggered this or what I can do? I have an apointment again with the vet next week but it didnt help the last time.

Thanks

PS we feed him fish food thought it might help his skin.

Sorry to hear that Killick is having skin problems.

It's always hard to talk about skin problems without seeing the dog but I have a few thoughts on what you have written.

It sounds like the medications your vet has given are Cephalexin (an antibiotic) and Temaril-P (also known as Vanectyl-P). The Temaril-P is a combination of a steroid and and antihistamine.

So, it sounds like your vet is treating him for suspected allergies. Often, it's hard to know what a dog is allergic to. In the fall, in my area, many dogs have seasonal allergies to things like ragweed or other plants. Often when dogs have allergies they need to stay on the steroid/antihistamine until allergy season is over. For some dogs this means getting a good frost and for others it can mean when we get a good snowfall. I will have dogs on medication given every other day during allergy season.

What you have described with itchiness between the toes is very common with allergies as well.

It sounds like it is a good idea to have another vet visit. The vet will determine if there is still any infection present and whether or not to stay on antibiotics. (Sometimes skin infections need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up). And then they will decide if he needs to stay on the steroids for a while longer.

If the vet is suspicious of food allergies they may talk to you about a trial of hypoallergenic food as well.

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (35101 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16726 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4762 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (28854 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11173 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7865 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (97076 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9943 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (6848 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5621 views)