Dog skin allergies.

Breed: Blue Belton English
My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear mites and at the same time started to lose fur around his neck. We brought him to vet who put him on two types of pills, pink ones every 24 hours for 3 weeks and big orange ones 2.5 every 12 hours (60 total). We washed his beeding with hot water only, no perfumes in the house, removed his collar and only washed him 1-2 times over a month or two with oatmeal shampoo. He was good while on pills. Now we notices he is scratching a lot now and between his toes are getting sore, although i was them out afraid it might be dirt from the marsh he runs on weekends while hunting. now he is always cleaning his feet and are making them sore... any suggestions what may triggered this or what I can do? I have an apointment again with the vet next week but it didnt help the last time.

Thanks

PS we feed him fish food thought it might help his skin.

Sorry to hear that Killick is having skin problems.

It's always hard to talk about skin problems without seeing the dog but I have a few thoughts on what you have written.

It sounds like the medications your vet has given are Cephalexin (an antibiotic) and Temaril-P (also known as Vanectyl-P). The Temaril-P is a combination of a steroid and and antihistamine.

So, it sounds like your vet is treating him for suspected allergies. Often, it's hard to know what a dog is allergic to. In the fall, in my area, many dogs have seasonal allergies to things like ragweed or other plants. Often when dogs have allergies they need to stay on the steroid/antihistamine until allergy season is over. For some dogs this means getting a good frost and for others it can mean when we get a good snowfall. I will have dogs on medication given every other day during allergy season.

What you have described with itchiness between the toes is very common with allergies as well.

It sounds like it is a good idea to have another vet visit. The vet will determine if there is still any infection present and whether or not to stay on antibiotics. (Sometimes skin infections need 4-8 weeks of antibiotics in order to clear up). And then they will decide if he needs to stay on the steroids for a while longer.

If the vet is suspicious of food allergies they may talk to you about a trial of hypoallergenic food as well.

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (34369 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (16807 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (9635 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (9279 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7617 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5942 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (9716 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (22511 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (9010 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (26143 views)